• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

vacuum boost controler

Well i got it all hooked up boost controller and boost gauge and also a new gasket for the intake tube but......flooring it im getting 5psi i can hear the turbo spooling and i have the spring really tight, there was 2 bolts on the intake tube that wouldnt tightin but all the other bolts are fine and the intake tube is on there good with a new gasket and im still getting 5 psi what the hell?

Well i got it all hooked up boost controller and boost gauge and also a new gasket for the intake tube but......flooring it im getting 5psi i can hear the turbo spooling and i have the spring really tight, there was 2 bolts on the intake tube that wouldnt tightin but all the other bolts are fine and the intake tube is on there good with a new gasket and im still getting 5 psi what the hell?

You are close to what the factory boost allows. Some people report betweeen 5 and 8 lbs. of boost.
You should get more if the waste gate is wired shut, but it sounds like you have a air leak somewhere,or the wastegate is not sealing all the way.
What will happen if you over boost is, the computer will set the ses light and de-fuel.

truck is a 1500 not sure if its a EGR or not, and the WG is shut do you think that it could be that the 2 bolts on one side of the intake is not tighting but i didnt feel any air coming out by the gasket, where elas could i check for a air leak.....

My 98 will spike anywhere from 5 to 10/11 psi on the stock gm8 and vacuum control and 0.2-2.0 on steady cruise.

Keep in mind, these are high compression diesels from the factory, designed to use low mounts of boost.

You are not going to get much more than the 5-8 psi quoted into them without paying for it somewhere (IE: high heat or maybe - BOOM!)

;)

My 98 will spike anywhere from 5 to 10/11 psi on the stock gm8 and vacuum control and 0.2-2.0 on steady cruise.

Keep in mind, these are high compression diesels from the factory, designed to use low mounts of boost.

You are not going to get much more than the 5-8 psi quoted into them without paying for it somewhere (IE: high heat or maybe - BOOM!)

;)

So your saying my turbo will only put out 5psi and im getting 0 boost just driving 55 60 the only time im getting any boost at all is when im flooring it, that just dont seem right to me but maybe im wrong.....

and mine aint vacuumed controlled anymore its got a turbo master and the WG cant move at all, i got it so tight it wouldnt move if i took a hammer to it

No your turbo will well put out to 20 psi though not efficiently, more on that later.

Okay you being a 1500 changes things up a little, you have EGR, and 2 loose bolts on upper intake ???

Between the upper & lower intake is a 1 time use crush gasket that seals off the EGR from the intake, if that is bad, or isn't sealing because of improper clamping force with loose bolts you are full time flowing EGR diluting your mix, & losing boost thru there.
Look at the different intake configurations here:

DCP02025 S-F swap.JPG DCP02022 S-F swap.JPG DCP02023 S-F swap.JPG DCP02024 S-F swap.jpg

So you'll need to find out why the 2 bolts aren't tightening (I isuspect stripped-it's helicoil time) the outer gasket 6 bolt, and inner gasket.

Part point sticky in our reference area should have the p/n for them. So maybe a new turbo isn't needed.

With the TM on there the PCM won't be limiting boost, do you have any check engine codes?

DCP0202420S-F20swap.jpg

i put 2 big red dots on where the bolts are messed up and no there is no codes, and do you know how much a helicoil is

Part store has them in a kit not terribly expensive, have you ever worked with Helicoils before, probably not I'm guessing from the question?

Which isn't a show stopper, are you handy with a drill ?

yeah im ok with a drill thanks for all the help i dont mean to sound like a dip shit but this truck is kicking my ass

No not indicating you are a DS at all, I have to ask as all types here with different skill levels, pretty much if you know how to run a drill with some cutting oil you can do a Heli-coil install, take one of the good bolts with you and get the correct kit, it should have instructions pretty well explained out, don't forget it's a metric bolt, .

that is intake so with upper off you'll want to block off all ports so no shavings get down into the engine, also keep track of what you use to block off the ports, engine does not digest rags well :) Or you could completely remove upper intake and zero risk but a LOT more work for that.

Another method is fill hole with extra strength JB-Weld then drill/tap new holes not as strong as the heli-coil maybe, or drill slightly larger and retap with a bigger bolt, but then depending how big you have to go you may make the boss you are tapping into for the bigger bolt too thin.

I got a buddy thats going to hook me up with the kit and show me how to do it, i hope that fixes it, if not im going to check into the exhaust. I also found out my temp gauge is not working or the truck is never getting warm lol so i gotta find out whats up with that.

mabey your ECT sensor is on it's way out? That might cause your temperature gauage to read colder than what the engine temp actually is? My 92 throws alot of heat but reads cold on the temp gauage also.

well i found a bolt on the intake manifold that was missing i found a bolt that fit in it and it didnt help the boost at all, i took the intake tube off and where the 2 bolts i have to retap it dont look like its leaking there but i am going to try fixing the bolt holes anyways this truck is starting to drive me nuts, i just dont see it leaking that much boost im ready to sell it and i just got it a week ago lol

well i think its time for a new intake i broke the tap off inside the bolt hole im so sick of this truck....

anyone know where i can get a intake for a good price maybe even one without the egr

Back