• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

TDCO -1.5 or -1.94?

There's an old addage...If it ain't broke ...don't fix it...:D

You know what Kenny, You are so right here. It was different at -1.06, but now that I'm at -1.38 I can live with that. Why take the chance breaking something, going into winter....I think I'm going to leave it alone.

Guy if you want to come by I'd still be more than happy to help you do yours!

I have no A/C, so this may be pretty easy, with the bent wrench most peeps don't even remove the upper intake to do this?

I've never removed the upper plenum yet.

BTW, I know we are talking 6.5 but I advanced my 6.2 2 deg's and holy shit, first thing in the morning, temps around 5 deg C, its friggin loud, ):h

Well, its probably in my head but I got -1.32 from -1.06 just by playing with the carcode software for an hour.... When I moved it back out in the street, it felt more responsive :)...

I'm aiming for -1.7. By bumping it towards the DS, I should be able to cycle through -1.94 - -1.3 or so, as now I can go all the way down to -.60 and up to -1.32.

Showing IP Timing at around 12.2 degrees, so one degree to DS should get me around 13, giving me the option to adjust TDCO to where I want it.

There is no way this is in my head. I was thinking about how damn responsive it feels with little to no throttle given, thinking about placebo effect when TCC locked in in 3rd, and she pulled away like never before.

Feathery throttle in OD created a pull situation also, unlike never before

Wow.

Is this a linear adjustment? Or does the advantage get less and less as you go more and more advanced? I'm a feather pedal guy, so maybe I'm at my optimal spot. I absolutely can't imagine the difference going much more, its that different.

I want to say this is the best mod I've ever done for performance. Not that I've really done anything besides exhaust and a new air intake elbow :)

Just remember how a gas engine loves timing, even a few degree's can change how it runs, :thumbsup:

Diesels are no different.

Just remember that GM is making these for the masses so they want them to live a long, happy life and have to make sure they will live with anyone driving them in any temp etc.

Not saying it doesn't make any difference, just saying I think SOP is more noticable on modded trucks.
Of course some think the Optic Bump makes it more responsive.....:poke:

Not saying it doesn't make any difference, just saying I think SOP is more noticable on modded trucks.
Of course some think the Optic Bump makes it more responsive.....:poke:

Hey now, my truck aint no run of the mill stock 6.5 anymore bro! Show some respect! :thumbsup: I'll pull your lemon backwards! Got the chain ready! Come on over (and bring your IP tools with you too!) :)

Thats the thing, optic bump does make response, but it adds fuel, adjusting timing should be using the same fuel, just a touch earlier in the cycle. May worsen emmissions? May not... May not care either way.

Now you got me heated! Gonna have to add -1.38 TDCO to my sig. There. Lol....

Front n rear lockers....He'll be spinnin two wheels, I'll be spinnin all 4 not to mention the brute force of a j code 6.2.....:rofl:

Last edited:
Front n rear lockers....He'll be spinnin two wheels, I'll be spinnin all 4 not to mention the brute force of a j code 6.2.....:rofl:

Ahem, I'll be a spinnin 3 wheels :)

I did this a few years ago against a F-550 semi loaded box truck... was a draw in dirt... blew a rear brake line from rocks kicking up though... then ABS incident in the rain and I rear-ended him at a stoplight doing 25mph later that day! LOL.... His 8" Solid round crash bar in the back won. I barely bent it, it wrecked my front end :) Did push him up 4-5 feet though. He almost rearended the cars in front of him. Had he not been there, I would have taken out at least 3-4 of them I gather!

Can't afford to break this thing. I'm not like Aces, I can't buy a new vehicle everytime the old one needs a cleaning :)

Neither.....-1.83 is better

Shout out to Matt for setting my TDCO today. It was a lot of fun to meet another 6.5l guy from the forum and he hit the timing on my sub great. I have to get one of those cool scanners for the laptop. I can't wait for my first cold start. Thanks Matt!!!:D

Back