• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stupid BFG KM2's!

another update

Got a letter from Michelin. They will cover the repairs(4500.00 of it) they will pay for 50% of 1 tire. the total settlement offer from them is just shy of 5 grand.
I got the body shop down to 4500.00 and they need my truck/bed for a min of 2 weeks. I have a call in to Michelin to counter there offer. I would like some compensation for a rental TRUCK for the down time and something better than 50% of one tire. They own the tire manufacturer you would think they could send me a tire at least?
So, what do you all think?

Very odd... I've never heard anything really bad about BFG's; it's pretty rare for a tire to come apart that bad obviously. My Cooper Discoverers are in pretty rough shape (separated belts, chunks missing from being cut up on rocks and scraps offroad, bulges in the sidewall/tread, countless plugs).

another update

Got a letter from Michelin. They will cover the repairs(4500.00 of it) they will pay for 50% of 1 tire. the total settlement offer from them is just shy of 5 grand.
I got the body shop down to 4500.00 and they need my truck/bed for a min of 2 weeks. I have a call in to Michelin to counter there offer. I would like some compensation for a rental TRUCK for the down time and something better than 50% of one tire. They own the tire manufacturer you would think they could send me a tire at least?

Like you said, counter offer.

Im not up to date with new truck part prices so if this is a dumb question please forgive me as I mean no offense.. For my 90's Chevys you can pick up clean beds for under $500, wouldnt that be the way to go? I know around here there are tons of long bed factory take offs at truck bodys places, maybe something to look into? Good look getting your truck all fixed up! :thumbsup:

another update

So, here is the next little update:

I went to get my one new tire installed today, thought I would have 4 of the same tires and wheels again. But when I am looking at the other three tires I notice I have another seperated tire! This is tire # 2 now! This tire was on the front and the last one was from the rear. Makes no sence to me? I will be on the phone with BFG/Michelin again on monday. I think I will be a bit firmer this time. I want them to shove these tires somewhere else this time around.

I STAND BY MY PREVIOUS THOUGHT ON THESE TIRES, THEY ARE PIECES OF SH!T!

Wow that sucks. I'd call and tell them you want an entire new set of tires.

Once again, this furthers my dislike of BFG tires.

So, here is the next little update:

I went to get my one new tire installed today, thought I would have 4 of the same tires and wheels again. But when I am looking at the other three tires I notice I have another seperated tire! This is tire # 2 now! This tire was on the front and the last one was from the rear. Makes no sence to me? I will be on the phone with BFG/Michelin again on monday. I think I will be a bit firmer this time. I want them to shove these tires somewhere else this time around.

I STAND BY MY PREVIOUS THOUGHT ON THESE TIRES, THEY ARE PIECES OF SH!T!

I bet there is a lot of these seperated tires out there. It's odd you got two bad ones without there being hundreds of them out there.

I bet there is a lot of these seperated tires out there. It's odd you got two bad ones without there being hundreds of them out there.

Yeah, I hear ya. Just my friggin luck, I guess. It could be rainin' whores, and I'd get hit in the head with a queer. I wish I could figure out WTF? I got these very early in the production run, maybe they had some bugs? I would think that they are the same tire casing as the rest of there truck tires though. Or maybe it's because I load them close to there capacity? A buddy of mine always buys the AT's, and blows one almost every trip we take to the river or Glamis. I thought it was because he was buying D rated 35's for his old Suburban.

Well its been quite a while, but the truck is finally in the body shop. I am going on vacation for 10 days was able to give up my truck for repairs. They will be replacing the entire left side of the bed and repairing the floor. I can hardly wait, I was getting pretty sink of looking at all the damage. And it just looked like chit!

Did you get a loaner or a rental? They should at least pay for that.

The were awfully generous, I got 200.00 for a rental. But I had to use that money to help buy my new tires. They gave me 60% credit for my original tires. That still left me with a 700 dllar tab.

Well, she is fixed! Picked her up on monday. The only thing left to do is to respray my bedliner. I hope to do it soon, but I will need to buy the materials. It can wait a bit I guess. I'm just happy to have my truck pretty again.

Well, she is fixed! Picked her up on monday. The only thing left to do is to respray my bedliner. I hope to do it soon, but I will need to buy the materials. It can wait a bit I guess. I'm just happy to have my truck pretty again.

I feel your pain! Just tossed the right rear tire last sunday on my way to the river. Tire won, right bedside panel, rear bumper and entire exhaust lost. Dropped the truck off to the bodyshop Thursday. Total bill for parts alone was over $4k. Ouch!!!!! Thank God for Insurance!
Going the speed limit of 70mph on a fully/properly inflated tire.

Back