• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stalling / Smoke

Got the Injectors swapped out and the smoking went away except on start up. If it sits for 5 minutes it will smoke every time. I can turn it off and wait 2 minutes and it starts with no smoke, but wait 5 or more and a big puff of smoke engulfs the truck. There is one code. P0216. That is pointing to the IP, however since the truck has 305k miles and the IP has less than 100k, the timing chain could be loose and have possible skipped a took. Just trying to figure out the next step on this suburban. Don't confuse this with my rebuild on another truck.

Fuel or oil?

If oil:
Start out by cleaning all the oil out of the intake system. That many miles it will be oily and as it sits that oil can puddle and get in during start up. Bottle brush down intake runners works well. So clean it, then start it a couple times. This will eliminate this as a contributing factor. It might still smoke first 2/3 times. After that - you can count that out.
Whats the blow by and how often do you add it.

If fuel- this makes more sense to me for that code-
Ya gotta check timing, and need to know those new injectors aren’t dripping.-
Did you have the new injectors pop tested by chance to rule that out?

I think we found the problem. When we pulled the harmonic balancer off to get at the timing chain we noticed the harmonic balancer was broken. It had play in it. So when you start it the pulley moves a couple inches before it catches. It then smokes and stumbles and throws a timing code. The chain has very little play in it. I think it was replaced a few years ago. Is my thought correct that the broken harmonic balancer would change the timing since it isn't in synch with anything else?

What part has play? the HB doesn't play a role for timing other than it's keyway on the crank and the mark on the outer piece to allow you to set timing with a light. what it does do is balance the engine. if it was broken it can break the crank.

was the outer ring loose on the center hub of the HB or are you talking about the keyway on the crank having play after loosening the crank bolt?

if you can, post some pics of the broken HB.

What part has play? the HB doesn't play a role for timing other than it's keyway on the crank and the mark on the outer piece to allow you to set timing with a light. what it does do is balance the engine. if it was broken it can break the crank.

was the outer ring loose on the center hub of the HB or are you talking about the keyway on the crank having play after loosening the crank bolt?

if you can, post some pics of the broken HB.
I will post shortly. Basically the key kept the HB in synch with the crank however the outer ring would move about 2 inches or so before catching and turning the crank. Now that I'm thinking about it all the timing components are gears and a chain and nothing there will cause a timing code. If the chain is tight it couldn't have skipped a tooth. The last time I had an HB fail the truck shook uncontrollably. This time is lightly shook, stumbled, and smoked (and stalls if you don't keep your foot on the accelerator). It may be the IP and the HB. I will put on a new HB and see if it fixes it.

FWIW the pulley is technically not part of the HB. It's function is to dampen things pertaining to the serpentine belt system. It might affect the HB slightly but not enough to say it would break the crank

After reconnecting everything and topping off the coolant, it is still smoking. When we started it with no belt there was a puff of smoke and then it cleared up. So with the belt on it smokes and stutters. I think we'll take the belt off and run it a little longer to see if it smokes. It has new pre filter (no sock), new injectors, rebuilt turbo, pmd, etc. The only thing that would cause stuttering and smoke now would be the IP. Is my deduction correct? FYI the code (cant remember which number) points to IP.

My son started pulling the IP and found one of the sensors came off the IP. Can we just reconnect? One screw is there. I have an old ip that I can scavenge from.

Attachments

• 20240406_134716.jpg
    20240406_134716.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240406_134626.jpg
    20240406_134626.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 4
That is just a pulley not the harmonic balancer. Examine the balancer carefully.
You have two valid options for both balancer and the pulley.
Balancer: AC Delco or Fluidampr
Pulley: AC Delco or Leroy’s billet

The cheaper ones always fail quickly. Often with disastrous results.

Make sure the balancer is perfect and use loctite when torquing the 4 bolts through the pulley onto the balancer.

After reconnecting everything and topping off the coolant, it is still smoking. When we started it with no belt there was a puff of smoke and then it cleared up. So with the belt on it smokes and stutters. I think we'll take the belt off and run it a little longer to see if it smokes. It has new pre filter (no sock), new injectors, rebuilt turbo, pmd, etc. The only thing that would cause stuttering and smoke now would be the IP. Is my deduction correct? FYI the code (cant remember which number) points to IP.
Air in the fuel would cause stuttering and smoke. Address the loose stepper motor. If that does not clean it up, then you will need to address potential air leaks on the the suction side between the fuel tank and lift pump. My recent experience has been the o-ring seals are where the hard lines connect to the sender particularly with the age of the truck. Good news a new set of seals is less than $10 at Napa. Bad news, you get to drop the tank.

That is just a pulley not the harmonic balancer. Examine the balancer carefully.
You have two valid options for both balancer and the pulley.
Balancer: AC Delco or Fluidampr
Pulley: AC Delco or Leroy’s billet

The cheaper ones always fail quickly. Often with disastrous results.

Make sure the balancer is perfect and use loctite when torquing the 4 bolts through the pulley onto the balancer.
I realized that when I took the picture.

Back