• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Semi Retire my 6.5 for a Powerstroke 6.0?

Be warned, cab has to come off to do head gaskets, cab normally has to come off for injectors and glow plugs, they have problems with the high pressure oil pump that controls the injectors and turbo, i have 3 friends with powerchokes and they all regret buying the trucks. my new motto is friends dont let friends drive powerchokes... lol

Be warned, cab has to come off to do head gaskets, cab normally has to come off for injectors and glow plugs, they have problems with the high pressure oil pump that controls the injectors and turbo, i have 3 friends with powerchokes and they all regret buying the trucks. my new motto is friends dont let friends drive powerchokes... lol

I have seen that two with freinds who have them. there is a reason that 2000-2003 7.3 PS pull more money and are more scarce than their 6.0 counterparts. I would have to say the 6.0 is probably the worst all around out there. I would not buy anything I had to remove the cab to work on. That's why I got the Cummins. It's easier to work on than even a 6.5 trust me I have plenty of experience. Fords ride like crap too. Back breakers. Probably the toughest truck weight carrying wise though.
whatever you buy, just don't get it from Lee's Auto Ranch in ellington CT or you will get screwed for sure.
:mad:

Hope you got a nice cushy butt, cause that ford is gonna ride like a log truck compared to your K1500. Ask me why I know this.

You are going to learn new combinations of four letter words, cause just one or two won't satisfactorily express your frustration and contempt. Ask me why I know this.

Get it cheap, cause when you get rid of it, hopefully the total of the purchase price and what you spend on it, will be just around book value so you can recoup your money. Ask me why I know this.

There is an old saying that there are two "happy days" in the life of a boat owner; the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Same goes for a 6.0 ford.

Had a perfectly good 2000 7.3 and traded it in on a 6.0. Wife said if I did anything that stupid again, she was gonna drug me and get "damn-fool" tattooed on my forehead.

Did I tell you that I don't think too much of the 6.0s?

STAY AWAY :) I had one that I purchased brand new and got rid of it at 11,000 miles. That truck is the reason I went to a Dmax and I was the biggest Ford fan on this side of the Missouri. They're garbage, sorry to all the 6.0 guys that haven't had any trouble.

i think the 6.0 liter problems are hit and miss. more hits than misses though. do the reliablity mods ,get a good smart powerstroke mechanic that knows what he is doing ,and keep up with the maintenance religously and it should be a half decent truck. tons of powerstroke guys love there 6.0s. personally though i would not buy it. too risky

Below the Bow tie on one of my rides is a plate with a picture of a wine glass with the 'do not do this' circle that says "Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Fords." ):h

I'm still undecided. I appreciate the feedback. I have done a lot of research and some guys have done their 6.0 heads in the truck without lifting the cab. One reason I have always been a Chevy man is because they have always been easier to work on than a Ford.

When I read the posts from guys that have had problems with their 6.0 trucks and say they are a piece of crap it reminds me of what over the years you read about the 6.5's when guys are having problems and fighting with Dealers to get their truck fixed and paying large repair bills. A lot of that was because the Dealers didn't know how to work on the 6.5, and most of them still don't. Because of that our 6.5 trucks have had the lowest resale value of any diesel trucks on the used market. It kind of seems like the same case with the 6.0. The real question is can you buy a 6.0 at the right price, do some mod's like we do on our 6.5's and make it worth the while and have a good running truck when you're done?

Like I said I'm not in the market for a truck but am starting to think about mine getting tired. I know what the life for the first 100, 000 miles of this 6.0 truck has been because of knowning the original owner. I know it's not been a lemon for the first 100,000 miles at least. Could I buy it and it become a lemon, YES. The truck is bone stock, hasn't been tuned, and hasn't spent it's life towing so I feel like that is a big plus.

From what I've seen I couldn't get into a Dmax or a Cummins Crew Cab with 100K on it for anywhere near this price. I just need to figure out if the price difference is worth going out on a limb.

Also if I buy it I won't be selling my 6.5 so I would still get to hang out here.

Well, after a good night's sleep, let me say a couple of good things about the 6.0.

1. The auto tranny is superb. That extra gear (as opposed to the auto in the 7.3) was real nice.

2. I am a retired claims adjuster and thus from a professional point of view, the crunch-ability of the super duty is great. Seen some real bad crashes where the super duty came out on the winning end. Get this, a 2005 F350 blew a stop sign at 70 plus (out in the country) and T-boned a full size Gillig school bus, one of them old ones made out of recycled battleships. The impact was enough to toss the Gillig up into the air, roll it 1.5 times so that it landed on its roof. Driver of the super duty lived with minor injuries. Driver and only kid on the bus were ok also. Angels were working hard that day.

Before you buy, go over to the dieselstop and read up on what other 6.0 folks have had to deal with.

Don't know chit about the 6.0 but I can tell ya about my ole' 90 N/A 7.3 has been one hell of a motor, the Ford truck that surrounds it, well kind of like surrounding a Cummins with a Dodge!

Ya only live once & Ya prolly deserve a newer truck...if it's a turd you can always flush it & try again, don't think you will get hurt at that price if it is a clean truck.

Anybody who owns, or is considering buying a POWERSTROKE of any generation should head over to YOUTUBE and watch the appropriate videos from thepowerstrokehelp guy. He really seems to no his stuff on all of them, and has some good videos on troubleshooting and upgrades that should be done.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=powerstrokehelp#g/u

This one pertains to the 6.0L.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7JEHLYyJ4&feature=related

Yeh I watched them lastnight. It actually gave me more of a level of comfort with them, still undecided, the fat lady aint singing but I have started to see what a 1 way ticket to Houston costs. The Wife aint helping either she is really for getting it since she's tired of riding in the back seat of my extended cab.

I thought the extended cab was crappy to sit in too, but then I realized it was because my dang center console was sticking so far back that it cramped the back. So I moved it forward, and just take it out if I need to pack people or the dog or something and its more roomy, legs can move around. To move it forward had to drill new holes and used bolt and nut, and had to cut the plastic to fit the floor angles.

Anybody who owns, or is considering buying a POWERSTROKE of any generation should head over to YOUTUBE and watch the appropriate videos from thepowerstrokehelp guy. He really seems to no his stuff on all of them, and has some good videos on troubleshooting and upgrades that should be done.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=powerstrokehelp#g/u

This one pertains to the 6.0L.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7JEHLYyJ4&feature=related

Actually I didn't watch that particular video where he is recommending the ARP studs as a preventative measure. I planned to do the EGR delete and see what the head gaskets do under the type of driving I do with it.

My experience all is based on from work of mouth from dads friends that use their trucks for work, and my dumb cowboy buddy.

Dad's one friend is a diehard Ford guy, bought a 6.0, got crap mileage, and had problems constantly, drives his 02 7.3L mostly now.

My buddy treats his trucks like shit, and needless to say, after hitting a deer at 90 mph, the ol girl took it like a champ. after jumping a dirt road, the ol girl took it like a champ. but when we were cleaning it up to get the front end repair estimate (just bumper and filler) we tried to clean his air filter, and nedless to say, his 5' 2" size was ruled out as mechanic, so my 6'4" size was enlisted, and i was climbing all over stuff trying to get in there, jokes were made in reference to monkey humping a doornob, etc. undid snap latches, seperated housing, pulled, pushed, said f it, buttoned back up and reset filter minder to shut off dash lamp.

Same truck, we got a truck load (shortbed, cab high, 22 bales) of grass hay, about 50-70 pounds, and I was driving (he has DUI, so i am driver :rolleyes: ) and it felt doggy pulling hills. a lot of pep was taken out with just a bed of hay and a cab of buddies.

my theory? electronic 6.5L reliability, with repair costs of some types of army equipment, with ease of working on of a front wheel drive transverse engine minivan.

It is a tough chassis, and the 5spd auto is twice the tranny the 4spd auto is, but the poor fuel mileage, hard to work on design, etc drive me away from one.

Last edited:
I hear Ford guys complaining about the mileage as well. I did buy the truck and on the way home with the cruise set on 75 it got 20.5 MPG. It's a 2WD so I know that helps. I don't have a complaint about the mileage, the power, or the ride for a 3/4 ton truck. My complaint about Fords has always been that they are harder to work on and looking around at this one if anything it has strengthened my position on that point.

well, at least it is a 2wd

I'm not sure how you meant this? I'd rather have a 4 wheel truck but this was the truck that was available at this price, in this condition, and with this history. When I got serious about buying this truck I stopped by a local dealer and drove an 04 4 wheel drive just like it. They wanted $23,9000 for the truck with 72,000 miles on it, I wouldn't give you $15K for that truck. The truck wandered all over the road and didn't run good at all, it was heavily used. Even if I loved that truck and if it was in as good of condition as the one I bought I couldn't justify paying an extra $10K to $11K for 4 wheel drive when I have a good running 6.5 Chevy that is 4 wheel drive for when I need it to get around. The bottom line is that I bought the truck because it was a good deal despite it being a Ford.

Back