• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Resetting injector pop pressure

bk95td

6.5 nut job/addict
Reaction score
Since I bought 40 of the military surplus 6.5 n/a delphi fuel injectors off of egay I needed to reset pop pressure to Turbo specs. N/A pop pressure is:1852.2 psi Turbo is :2087.4. I could have just taken them to the local injection shop and had all 40 reset at a cost of $6-15 each. It could have cost up to $600 to have them reset To what ever their tolerance was that day. I decided to buy a tester and the adjusting shims and do them myself to know that they are set as close as possible. Having the tester also lets me be able to test the injectors in the future and reset if needed.
I had many of the parts needed to make my own tester but was lacking a few key parts. I search on the internet and found a site that sold a tester for mercedes benz diesel cars. They used Bosch injectors. Their tester was $175.Brand new!.I had been looking at used ones on egay that were going for $400 or more and had been well used. So I bought the tester from http://www.mercedessource.com/node/5180
They also sell 2 different shim kits. $128 for a 72 piece kit:eek: Pretty spendy for that small amount of shims. I ended up getting a guys name that post alot on a mercedes forum. He imports injector nozzles and adjusting shims.He's still checking to see if he can get me some high quality german made replacement nozzles for the 6.5. I bought a large 24 size thickness ,12 of each size kit from him for aprox. $280. This kit should last a very long time.I can restock from him also. His name is sean.His e-mail address is:[email protected].
I recieved the tester on thursday and the shims came today. I had a slight problem with the tester. The injector line fitting on the injector end was too small.:mad2: I swapped a injector line from a 6.2 on it and good to go.:thumbsup:

I thought I should play with it some to get familiar with it.I took a couple old bosch injectors from a junked engine to test. I had to make a catch can for the injector to spray into so I used a clear plastic peanut butter jar. I cut a hole in the lid with a hole saw that was slightly larger than the injector.
The first old injector I put on it popped at 1600psi and sprayed a small stream not a cloud of vaporized fuel. Also dripped badly under pressure and after popping. Chances are very good that that injector needed a new nozzle. They can be cleaned and reused some times. New bosch nozzles are only $14 at rockauto. You cant spend much time cleaning a used nozzle for $14. I tried a second used injector and it popped at 1600psi also. This one sprayed much better than the 1st one. Still 500 psi low on pressure.
Ok. Time to get out the new Delphi injectors and see how they do. They seem to be set around 1800 psi. Of the 12 i've done so far the pop pressure right out of the package varied more than 200 psi. Not all that close for "BRAND NEW". The ones I've reset are at 2100psi and are all within 25psi of each other.:thumbsup:
To test each injector I attach it to the high pressure line and close the valve on the pump. Then pump up to 1500 psi fastly then slowly apply pressure after that untill it pops and sprays, watching the pressure gauge the whole time. Then take the injector off the tester after opening the valve on the pump[forgot that step a couple of times:eek::mad2:] Then take the injector apart. The shims are in the very top above the spring and usually stick inside. I have a pick with a hook in the end of it that works pretty well to get the shims out. These injectors all seem to have the same thickness factory shims in them:confused:. That's probbly why the pop pressure varied so much. After resetting a couple I would try the mid shim in them 1st to see what direction I needed to go. Each step in thickness raises or lowers the pop pressure 50 psi. I've only used 4 different thickness shims in 12 injectors. The shims vary .05 mm in thickness. You just repeat the process untill they reach the correct popping pressure. It's good to know that the ones going in my engines are set as close as possible.:thumbsup::thumbsup::D Got a few pics of the tester and injectors .

Attachments

• IMG_0604_1.jpg
    IMG_0604_1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0605_2.jpg
    IMG_0605_2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0606_3.jpg
    IMG_0606_3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0607_4.jpg
    IMG_0607_4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0608_5.JPG
    IMG_0608_5.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0610_7.jpg
    IMG_0610_7.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0611_8.JPG
    IMG_0611_8.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0612_9.JPG
    IMG_0612_9.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0613_10.JPG
    IMG_0613_10.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0614_11.JPG
    IMG_0614_11.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 42
Very cool. Just the thought of that makes the engine run smoother... With all this new knowledge you've gained............ It makes me wonder what you lost!!

Ok so I have to ask,,, about how much shim thickness per injector do you have to ad to go from na to 2100psi on average. My local shop told me $6 ea to reset them,, So if I could give them a idea, to start with,, that'd be cool. I plan on having them go to 2200psi for a marine spec unit. :thumbsup:

With the purchase of these egay N/A injectors,, the $6ea to reset them to 2200psi and a $31 injector install kit from them,, for $196 I'll be rocking a full set of marine spec New delphi's, matched for optimum performance. :D

Nice work BK

I can verify that a set of injectors that are all very close makes for a very smooth running engine.

I had mine all set to 2000 PSI (DS4 IP) Starts great and runs soooooooooo sweeeeet

MGW

Ok so I have to ask,,, about how much shim thickness per injector do you have to ad to go from na to 2100psi on average. My local shop told me $6 ea to reset them,, So if I could give them a idea, to start with,, that'd be cool. I plan on having them go to 2200psi for a marine spec unit. :thumbsup:

With the purchase of these egay N/A injectors,, the $6ea to reset them to 2200psi and a $31 injector install kit from them,, for $196 I'll be rocking a full set of marine spec New delphi's, matched for optimum performance. :D

Nice work BK
That was the thing. They varied in pop pressure by close to 200 psi. I took the factory shims out[there were 2 in each] and started with 1.9 mm. Checked pop pressure and either replaced with thicker or thinner to get 2100psi. To get to 2200 you would end up going to 2.0mm or thicker.
The difference in the atomazation from 1800 psi to 2100 psi is noticeable.

The difference in the atomazation from 1800 psi to 2100 psi is noticeable.

And hence why when you need to make more fuel combust at higher RPMs, its better to have high pop pressure, so the start of combustion or ignition is as good as possible for best efficiency.

Since the N/A trucks had significant less fuel output they didnt need to combust as much obviously, but imagine they would still benefit from higher pop.

And hence why when you need to make more fuel combust at higher RPMs, its better to have high pop pressure, so the start of combustion or ignition is as good as possible for best efficiency.

Since the N/A trucks had significant less fuel output they didnt need to combust as much obviously, but imagine they would still benefit from higher pop.
The injector is also fighting higher cylinder pressure on a turbo engine. I would think a N/A would benefit from better atomazation . It shure couldn't hurt.

BEST THREAD EVER!!!

This is the kind of info that you could Never get if it weren't for the Awesomeness of our site, and our Members!!

Got my N/A's in the mail Saturday, (Thanx Anubis) Now I got to get them bad boys, to the injector shop, and in the truck! I'll try to do a write up at that time, with pics and before and after Videos.

This is excellent information for folks who are considering to DIY... like me. The best information was about the shim packs. The pump is relatively easy enough to build and the gauge easy enough to source. Thank you!

Regards,
Franko

It's been over a year but I had tested my old Bosch inj. from my 95. The pop pressures varied by about 400 psi and about 3/4 of them peed rather than sprayed. The truck ran quite well when they were in or so I thought.

It just goes to show that even if the engine runs well, the inj. could still be worn and damaging the engine.

It's been over a year but I had tested my old Bosch inj. from my 95. The pop pressures varied by about 400 psi and about 3/4 of them peed rather than sprayed. The truck ran quite well when they were in or so I thought.

It just goes to show that even if the engine runs well, the inj. could still be worn and damaging the engine.
On several of the 6.5s that I've pulled apart there was actual divets in the tops of the pistons:eek: from the injectors peeing instead of atomizing. Not a good thing.:nonod:
On the mercedes forum that I recently joined[and I don't own one] ,they talk about regular cleaning of the injectors. Take them out ,clean them and reset pop pressure. I haven't caught how often they are recomending doing it ,but every 50,000 miles would be a good guess.:confused: They also mention that the engines being run on wvo should have the injectors cleaned more often than ones run on regular diesel. Merecedes source sells a cleaning kit. It has all the tools needed to clean the nozzles and the rest of the injector.

Back