• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

replacing oil cooler lines, keeping oil cooler

chefmike

Not just a truck... a project.
Reaction score
Do any of you great minds know if the fittings on a 1995 block are 1/2" or 3/8? I read it can be either. I may just order both for an extra $8 if no one knows

From Frozen boost:

AN Male to Male Reducer, -12 AN to -10 AN Silver
2@ $7.98

Stainless Steel Line 45° Adaptor, -10 AN Black
2@ $25.98

PTFE Braided Stainless Steel Lines, -10 AN Black, per ft.
10@ $39.90

AN to NPT Adaptor, -10 AN to 1/2" NPT Black
2@ $7.98

Stainless Steel Line 90° Adaptor, -10 AN Black
2@ $25.98
Sub-Total: $107.82

i'd get a hold of leroy @ pmdcable.com in the vendor section and see if he would sell you just the line kit without the cooler.

worth a try,it has everything you could possibly need.

In case you don't know, the fittings on the stock oil cooler are not std. pipe threads. By the time you get the right adapter for it you could just buy the kit from Leroy. Not worth the hassel of finding the right parts. I priced it out one time also. With the kit ,as said , everything you need is there. The bonus is you are supporting a site vendor that actually cares about us people with the 6.5s.

Well covered ground, as bk95d said stock cooler is technically not NPT or AN fitting, more reading here to save keystrokes.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?26853-Reusing-Your-Stock-Oil-Cooler
The kits are the way to go with the only negative that you are buying what somebody else considers the right length on the hose.

Leroy here is a thought if you are watching, offer a second kit with hoses that are extra long and have crimped on fittings on one end only and the other end left open and in the kit supply 2 field reconnectable fittings so the purchaser can simply route lines as they wish and install the fittings on the other end. An example would be Parker 20690 series which is what I used on mine.

Cheers
Nobby

I hear you all on the kit. I do not doubt its quality. I read raceday mechanics thread and it seemed like it was set up right and prices $100 under the kit. I was not aware that it was a different thread. And it sounds like my 1995 may not be the same size on the cooler (a little smaller).

I thought you all might want to figure out a budget option and I was trying to help by posting a complete list.

No input on the size at the block?

sorry,i'm not really sure.

the fittings all came with the kit and i just picked the ones that worked.

the block fittings did look like 3/8"npt though.

nice rotty sparky. I got an old boy myself. pushing 8 now. Loyal buggers. He is bored with mechanic work. His crate is in the shop and has tools spread on top of it. sometimes he comes and watches if the gophers arent out....

nice rotty sparky. I got an old boy myself. pushing 8 now. Loyal buggers. He is bored with mechanic work. His crate is in the shop and has tools spread on top of it. sometimes he comes and watches if the gophers arent out....

they are the best alright.

we lost him to a bad heart at a year and 4 months.

we now have 3 in all again.

best dogs i've ever had anything to do with.

The blocks were all 3/8" npt up to 1997, when they went to 1/2"npt. This corresponds to the high volume oil pump....we use double braided hydraulic lines for our oil cooler lines. The older oil coolers were 1/2" npt thread.. Our 1999 short bus was 1/2" npt for the oil cooler as well.:thumbsup:

Close, but not quite - the coolers aren't NPT ... they look like it, but they aren't, and there's the issue... with some teflon or seal-all, you can get them to seal, but no guarantees. That's why people try to find appropriate adapters for them.

The kits are certainly the easiest way to go, probably cheaper unless you have a source for the hoses & ends as well.

If you really want to make your own lines, buy a Tru-Cool oil cooler. It is the same cooler but with NPT threads. Then you can get an AN to NPT adapter for the cooler. Unless you have a good source for the lines & fittings, you will spend more than the kit. I have a friend that is an Earls dealer so I went that way. Plus, I could get it all locally. If you are mail ordering the fittings it is not quite so easy, trust me you sometimes don't order exactly what you need first time around!

Thanks Berry, Mark and thanks Nobby for the suggestion.
Chefmike If I can help with an oil cooler kit let me know.

Wasn't there a thread here a few months ago where someone explained how to re-use the stock oil cooler? I think that was even the thread title.

It kinda confused me tho; wasn't sure if he re-tapped the fitting on the oil cooler, or did he just use an adapter? I don't think he had any leaking problems.

According the RDM in the post #4 link, you can use "-12 X -10 male to Male Union Reducer it is a Aeroquip fitting Part Number FCM2762" or the first item suggested by Chefmike in post #1.

So the -12 end is on the cooler threaded part. I am not sure if the stock is -12 thread.

Also to use pipe dope to thread it in there? to prevent leaks due to incompatible thread.

Last edited:
I would run -8 and my 94 has 3/8 I had npt bungs tig welded to my cooler I am cheep and love an fittings so why not!!

Block fittings are a real issue in 96 and 97. all early 96 and older are 3/8 npt. Mid 97 and new are all 1/2 npt. But late 96 and early 97 can be either. Older coolers are standard Tube-O fittings and new are metric. Buy a kit and it will come with all fittings no matter what year you have it will work. All lines used are 5/8 no matter what year you put it on. As for length they are the same as OEM. No field installable fittings to deal with and then hope you get them on correctly without leaking. Box of the box fit and ready to go.

Greg

Greg,
I completely concur on using the kits and have been advocating that for a while now even though I DIYed myself. However from a 'those who wish to DIY' standpoint take issue with the argument of possible leaky field installable fittings.

Been using them in various hydraulic line applications for years now with no issues, it really is not rocket science/that complicated to put them together OK. If a person was that inept that they would put them together incorrectly then I would suggest there is also a possibility that when they put together the NPT/AN fittings as in the kits that they would possibly leak also. So to reason that they may leak is just not valid as far as I am concerned.

Cheers
Nobby

If a person was that inept that they would put them together incorrectly then I would suggest there is also a possibility that when they put together the NPT/AN fittings as in the kits that they would possibly leak also.

Bingo, you have no idea the amount of people that don't know their limitations.

Greg

Bingo, you have no idea the amount of people that don't know their limitations.

Greg

Sadly I do, come across it alot in my field of work. However I am also not about to deny those that are mechanically capable.

Out of curiosity then do you have a notable percentage of customers who suffer leaks because they cannot install your kits properly?

Cheers
Nobby

Back