• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement turbo

Turbine Doc

Just Another Diesel Guy
Reaction score
With shortage of GM-X turbos and wanting better boost production member Slim Shady found wholly by accident a turbo that seemed like a winner for the 6.5, a Mitsubishi TD07-22A used on Fuso trucks and some Mitsubishi heavy earthmoving equipment, he shared a source with me and I got one myself.

A Mitsubishi p/n ME 032938 or 6D15T, off of a piece of HD equipment with a larger engine than ours, needing lots of cfm rite off the line, & abililtiy to maintain cfm, it is non waste gated, description from Slim is that it does same work at 3 psi that the GM-8 does at 5-6 psi, no exhaust back pressure issues, and with an intercooler is about 10 deg above ambient on IAT, GM-8 with a large IC is about 30 over ambient.

He also found a Chinese copy which I will also test on my K1500, best of the 2 will go on the K1500 truck project engine, and worst of the 2 will go on the Burb. Cost was on par with a NEW turbo $765 to my door from a warehouse in Japan.

Here are some pics of turbo when I got it:

Attachments

• DCP02433.JPG
    DCP02433.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 327
  • DCP02434.jpg
    DCP02434.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 273
  • DCP02435.jpg
    DCP02435.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 254
  • DCP02436.jpg
    DCP02436.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 220
  • DCP02437.jpg
    DCP02437.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 219
was it a bolt on or did you have to modify anything? i'm sure many will want to know that. i've gotta find a GM-8 myself.

was it a bolt on or did you have to modify anything? i'm sure many will want to know that. i've gotta find a GM-8 myself.

Slight modification, a exhaust elbow had to be fabbed, T4 flange drilled/studded for T3 mount, oil supply adapter fitting Thanks to Slim & Hank148 who took care of that; I came up with simple oil return drain solution using factory pipe.

More pics of the final install as soon as I find where I stashed them on my camera card I use for truck project pics.

On my 1st (2) 475 mile road trips to Jax, Fl & back with cruise control set @ 75mph by MT2500 scanner (my speedometer shows 78mph) by GPS scanner display is reading same as GPS, 2268 rpm on engine, 3:73 gears, 265/75/16 tires, 4L80 trans in OD, avg 21.7 mpg, up from 16-17mpg made on previous runs with GM-8 turbo. IAT thru IC 85, outside temp 65F, EGT 500F, boost 1.5 psi, turbo back pressure 5 psi

Turbo is non wastegated, very free flowing, not as quick to spool up as GM-8, but once thru about 1500 rpm it will take you as far & fast as you need or want to go with authority. I ran out of road with hiway traffic at about 104 mph, it just wasn't safe to try to do more, 13psi boost, 900 F EGT & 21psi turbo back pressure, vs 25-30 backpressure I was seeing on GM-8.

Stateman says when loaded/towing his turbo can make 18 psi boost, phase 2 of testing for me will be with towing. He runs 5 speed with 4:10 gears so the way the turbo loads stick tranny vs auto is different, since my HP4 program is built around the way a GM-8 operates, I'm going to send to Heath to see if they can figure out a better tune for it that work with a non WG turbo.

Turbo doesn't really lag per-sei, but boosts in stages, and does minor dips in power as tranny shifts to next gear. In addition to reflash changes, I'm thinking of playing with sleeving or recasting the turbine housing shifting A/to see if turbo can be closer adapted to exact match for the 6.5.

I don't think this will be a "race turbo" but a good economy & power improvement over GM-8 if phase 2 shows results Stateman is seeing with his manual trans.

Attachments

• DCP02558.JPG
    DCP02558.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 217
  • DCP02559.JPG
    DCP02559.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 203
  • DCP02560.JPG
    DCP02560.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 257
  • DCP02562.jpg
    DCP02562.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 235
  • DCP02561.JPG
    DCP02561.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
more pics

The original drain fitting was sized per Slim's set up which had a spacer in between turbo & exhaust manifold, my set up Hank & Slim re-drilled the flange for T3 to T4 direct bolt on so supplied drain (copper tube) did not zactly fit, back to plan B

Attachments

• DCP02570.jpg
    DCP02570.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DCP02569.jpg
    DCP02569.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 120
  • DCP02568.JPG
    DCP02568.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 149
  • DCP02571.jpg
    DCP02571.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DCP02572.jpg
    DCP02572.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
(2) more I tried to get all fancy with the turbo drain (still need to get pics of that), flex lines & such, then the lightbulb went off, cut the factory drain below the turbo and put in a piece of hose between the cuts, just like GM did at the block drain fitting. I've made a trip to Charleston SC, & Houston since installing the turbo, 19-20 mpg running 70-80 mph, which I used to run and would run 15-17 mpg depending how close to 80 I was running.

I've been working out of town a lot lately so haven't had much driving time, nor have I tried the China copy of the TD0-7, Slim has the prototype and should install it this weekend, I'll get that one next when he's through with it or, the 2nd one we have needing adapters, whichever comes available 1st, when finished we will have 2 data sets, 2 turbos 6.5/ 5 speed stick/ 4:10's in Slims ride/ F precups and my 6.5/ 4L80/ 3:73's/ S precups. Also once I get turbo 2 on mine , turbo will go to Heath to see if a better matched flash can be added to this turbo combo.

Attachments

• DCP02711.jpg
    DCP02711.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 119
  • DCP02712.jpg
    DCP02712.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Thanks TD for posting that over here. I won't tell of Slim's plans but I'm sure you know what he's got cooking in the kitchen or overseas as it is. :hand:Looking forward to seeing what you and Heath work out on a tune. I'm dropping 20's in the saving jar so when Slim is ready I am too. :auto:

No waste gate adding back pressure, no more need for the vacuum pump so one less pulley to turn, sounds like a good replacement. Thanks again TD for keeping the information highway moving.

Thanks TD for posting that over here. I won't tell of Slim's plans but I'm sure you know what he's got cooking in the kitchen or overseas as it is. :hand:Looking forward to seeing what you and Heath work out on a tune. I'm dropping 20's in the saving jar so when Slim is ready I am too. :auto:

No waste gate adding back pressure, no more need for the vacuum pump so one less pulley to turn, sounds like a good replacement. Thanks again TD for keeping the information highway moving.

Dang: everyone showed up over here. :cheers2:

$765 for turbo from Japan, not sure what Hank & Slim put into the down pipe & studs, maybe another $150, turbo from China if it works as well as the Japan turbo will bring cost down, shipping is the killer, to keep shipping cost down need to place a bulk order as cost is same 1 or multiple turbo ship so better to spread shipping cost out. Slim may have better handle of cost.

IAMDAVE,
If I get one of these babies, I will sell you my GM-8. PM me if you are interested.
Mike

Does anybody know how this Mitsubishi turbo would compare with the holset HY-35 as far as economy. I know the Holset will make boost, but is it safe to run with stock compression like the Mit. or not. I am looking for economy, not huge power, well ok, some power. Sounds like TD's truck is no slouch, and niether is statemans.

Last edited:
Have one of the HY-35 guys tap exhaust manifold just below turbo like I did and read back pressure, less is more mpg when it comes to back pressure, my 1st forray into backpressure study was with Banks 3.5 exhaust casuing erattic boost when getting on it, muffler used with early stinger kits was cross/reverse flow, backpressure in that exhaust setup caused rapid boost fluctuations at WOT 2-3 psi "drifting" until I backed out of throttle.

Lived with it that way for 3 years, explained it to Bill, he suggested I try his 4" flo-thru system, viola boost drift went away as turbo could exhaust easier. Swapped to the TDO-7 and saw almost a 2-3x reduction of backpressure, if HY-35 has same ID & hard 90 as GM-x turbos I suspect similar backpressure levels, notice the TDO-7 is "dual scroll" design and more efficient at capturing low velocity gas in band where the 6.5 works, HY-35 may not be as efficient until it spools up, I've never been around the HY-35 so that is a SWAG on my part based of of what I hear others doing with theirs.

I have had: or should say I am happy with the replacement turbo. Going to put the Chinese made turbo on tomorrow and do some testing. Ran the Mitsubishi today and it was hot here 88 with high humidity. Never ran over 98 IAT ( intake air temp) at 15 psi boost through the intercooler.

Filled up today and ran 87 miles on 5.002 gallons of fuel 17.393042783 Miles per gallon running around town. Pretty good out of 4.10 gears and a manual trans,

Side note is the Chinese turbo has a slightly different configuration which should be a little more efficient ( in theory ). We will see, Hope Turbine Doc doesn;t mind buying a slightly used turbo :sifone:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back