• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

Wow, that rot has settled in for a while. Glad it held together for you to get it home. Definitely tuned in.

Get it home? :D:D

I have took this thing camping atleast 6+ times all over Texas. :thumbsup:

I was always told truck campers are built more stout than any other kind of camper. With as bad as the rot is I have to agree. The bottom back curbside corner was held together by the siding alone.

EPA regulations in the Midwest has eliminated green (CCA) that has arsenic in it and was best for burial and replaced it with AC2 which is a more brown color. It is probably what you will find by you Marty. It's probably the best for this application if dryed CCA isn't possible.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I will find out this week, I plan on getting some wood. :hihi:

EPA regulations in the Midwest has eliminated green (CCA) that has arsenic in it and was best for burial and replaced it with AC2 which is a more brown color. It is probably what you will find by you Marty. It's probably the best for this application if dryed CCA isn't possible.

Sent from my SCH-I535

my understanding is that the green we have up here is at least reduced arsenic if not arsenic free. IIRC about 10-15 years ago it all went thru a reformulation process.

the wood that is available nation wide is ACQ with a couple of variations which I assume is the color difference and the rot resistance

although I would probably use the treated wood, myself, I'll give a word of caution. The treated wood, from what I was told this winter when I had some work done on my barn, will cause the aluminum to rot. There's something in the chemicals they use in the treating process that will react with the metal and eat it up. Keep this in mind since you're putting the aluminum siding back on it. I'm not sure if that goes away once it's seasoned for a period of time or not.

Yep, putting pressure treated lumber against aluminum is a HUGE no no. the preservatives they use for PT will take out aluminum in SHORT order.

New one on me...:dunno: Good to know. I'd head out to the barn for old timbers I saved then.

Got hundreds of galvanized ring shank #7s stuck into CCA for the last 10+ years in my fences with no sign of trouble. Galvanized deck screws in it haven't been any trouble either.
We're really wrecking Marty's thread with this discussion you know... but it's educational.

Well, so much for using aluminum L brackets. I will see what I can find on galvanized metal.

Can you get galvanized deck screws?

I guess I will have to get regular wood. I plan on sealing the outer part of the wood with deck sealer.

If I seal the treated wood will it prevent the rotting of aluminum?

I can not have it rot my siding off.

I'm not aware of any galvanized deck screws but ceramic coated are pretty easy to find. If it were me I'd get some of the window flashing that goes in a roll and has a peel off backing (very similar if not the same as ice and water shield) and use that as the coating for the wood. the roll is about 5-6" wide

My guess is that if the wood can out-gas, it would be fine, thus the reason it doesn't cause problems on decks and such. I think the problem arises when it is captured and the vapors can't escape to the atmosphere. Again, I'm just guessing, though.

Wow, glad I caught the thread. You have a lot of work ahead of you Marty.

After rebuilding my trailer, the next RV I have is either going to be built by me or will be aluminum and fiberglass. These stick construction RVs are a joke. My trailer has the same construction as your camper.... small lumber, particle board and staples. The sheetmetal used acts as most of the shear in the walls. Stupid design.

Just take all the trim and windows out to re-seal them. Use the butyl putty under them and the silicone over that. It'll help stop leaks. The lights are a PITA and that is where a lot of my leaks came from.

My trailer still has a leak in the back bathroom area and one of the side windows. I've chased them down again and again and just can't find them. Too many places to possibly leak.

Take your time and seal it up best you can, it'll last another 10 years. I started covering mine in the winter, it helps a TON.

Wow, glad I caught the thread. You have a lot of work ahead of you Marty.

After rebuilding my trailer, the next RV I have is either going to be built by me or will be aluminum and fiberglass. These stick construction RVs are a joke. My trailer has the same construction as your camper.... small lumber, particle board and staples. The sheetmetal used acts as most of the shear in the walls. Stupid design.

Just take all the trim and windows out to re-seal them. Use the butyl putty under them and the silicone over that. It'll help stop leaks. The lights are a PITA and that is where a lot of my leaks came from.

My trailer still has a leak in the back bathroom area and one of the side windows. I've chased them down again and again and just can't find them. Too many places to possibly leak.

Take your time and seal it up best you can, it'll last another 10 years. I started covering mine in the winter, it helps a TON.

Thanks! :thumbsup: Your thread on your camper rebuild is my motivation. It is the light at the end of my tunnel.

I plan on removing the windows and sealing them up. But, for know my focus is getting the rotted wood replaced.

That is how i treated mine. Get the structure fixed then go from there. After rebuilding mine and seeing others, I honestly just want to start from scratch one day. Maybe this winter...

Well here is an update. I removed some of the screws that hold the big window in on the curb side. I needed it out far enough to get the siding around it.
IMG_0866.jpg
I am trying to get the short small panel out. I plan on cutting out the wood beam at this locations area.
IMG_0867.jpg
I finally got it out.
IMG_0868.jpg
If you see from the picture below. The panel below the small one I just took out. It goes all the way to the front.
IMG_0869.jpg
I then took out the back window. I am attempting to verify the rot does not go all the way to the top.
IMG_0870.jpg
I then removed the three panels around the back window.
IMG_0871.jpg
IMG_0872.jpg
IMG_0873.jpg
It appears to be rot free all the way to the top.
IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0875.jpg
When I pulled the window out. I found the darker wood on the bottom wood frame of the window. It looks worst than it is. I will just use the wood sealer on this spot. It is not yet rotted. It is just discolored.
IMG_0876.jpg
I finally am getting some luck on this rebuild. :thumbsup:

After dinner I went back to the camper. I Pulled out the wires and zip tied them together to make it easier to pull out of the way. I then marked and cut out the beam.
IMG_0877.jpg
Here is the rotted board out. Looks like they used wood glue on the original build. I missed two screws and had to get them out before the beam would pull out. You can see from the picture they buried the screws.
IMG_0878.jpg
Here is the empty spot. I finally got it out! :eek:
IMG_0879.jpg
The next new issue. The 2X2 I got is too small.
IMG_0880.jpg
I guess I will have to get some 2X4's and cut them down to size.
This sucks! :mad2:

That's why I wish we lived close. I not only have the timbers but all the tools to make the sizes you need.

Back