• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Radiant barrier for windows

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
A project Ive been wanting to do and got to it finaly!
I added some radiant barrier to all my windows. This is the stuff you can buy at any hardware store. 4x8 sheet of 1/2" with foil liner. The inside of truck is almost dark now and temps are way down. UV exposure is dramaticaly reduced.

I bought some of this stuff to try it. Its a ridged material. Also bought some flexable stuff in a 2ftx 25ft roll. Its like a bubble wrap with very reflective surface on it. I will be doing the other vehicles with that.

DSCF1620.jpgDSCF1621.jpg

Whats funny is I just bought a big roll of it lastnight.

I will tell you it is a life saver when used on a road trip. We just did a 5000 mile trip in June through the deserts of TX, NM, and UT to CA and back. With the sun beating in on you for hours at a time it literally stings my skin. This trip and the last I had these reflective radiant barriers that anytime the sun hit me I would lay it over my arm or lap. The temp instantly dropped as the sun was blocked. It made a huge difference. My wife would throw them up on her side and cover the dog in her lap to (spoiled dog).
When parked I would put it in all the windows and that made a huge difference to keep temps down too.

In an automotive app you don't need an air gap. It would be nice, but not practical. Your just tring to block the direct rays from the sun away.
I'll never go on another trip without it. If you try it you wont either.

I bought this big roll because I want to make a kit for the truck,Burbs to see if they will sell.

You already know this but here are some numbers.

A friend of mine works at a company with 2 of the same cars with one having a white/beige or tan interior and one having a black interior.

They parked them side by side with thermometers inside.

White one measured 113F
Black one measured 155F

Here, dark titanium window tint is a given part of the cost, just like tires. You can take a 1,000 watt halagon work light 3" away from the window on the outside and not feel any heat inside. It is a bit harder to see at night if you don't dim your dash lights.

The black paint vs white paint has the same effect on heat. Both plus a lot of windows is a nightmare.

The furd we just rented for our Cali vacation was black on black with clear windows. It was from Colorado. The gal at the rental place had to cut the price drastically for us to take it (7 days for the price of 2 and no miles). Almost no one here would rent it. First rental in 2 1/2 months since it got to Vegas. She tried real hard to get us to drop it off in Cali and rent a different one to come back in to get it off her books.
I put my lil thermometer in it on the center console- at 4:00 it was 112 outside,168 inside the car.

Mercedes had the windows that electronically could go from clear to opaque. Wish those were everywhere.

If I had more time a few weeks ago i'd of like to swung further south to say hi to you, Warwagon and Paul.
"At least your heat is dry" how many times have you heard that?

Whats funny is I just bought a big roll of it lastnight.

I will tell you it is a life saver when used on a road trip. We just did a 5000 mile trip in June through the deserts of TX, NM, and UT to CA and back. With the sun beating in on you for hours at a time it literally stings my skin. This trip and the last I had these reflective radiant barriers that anytime the sun hit me I would lay it over my arm or lap. The temp instantly dropped as the sun was blocked. It made a huge difference. My wife would throw them up on her side and cover the dog in her lap to (spoiled dog).
When parked I would put it in all the windows and that made a huge difference to keep temps down too.

In an automotive app you don't need an air gap. It would be nice, but not practical. Your just tring to block the direct rays from the sun away.
I'll never go on another trip without it. If you try it you wont either.

I bought this big roll because I want to make a kit for the truck,Burbs to see if they will sell.
The UV acts like a cooker w/UV risk level# of 12 its 8 to 10 minutes to skin damage. We had a 14/15 a few days ago even the livestock all were seeking relief from the UV.

Here I have tint exemption can be as dark as I want even on the windshield however hoping to get the transition tint on the windshield for better night driving the thermal imaging available in some vehicles is great for any vehicles w/dark tinted windshield......we just stripped the windshield tint because of de-lamination the difference with/without the windshield tint is like day/night.

Last edited:
I drove my Burb w/o any flooring for a few years and can say with the diesel its like hell under your feet especially on passenger side. When I did the rubber like composite flooring over the DuraBak I used1/7k+ DEI heat shielding in front passenger compartment and down exhaust side to back then closed cell foam over everything as underlay instead of jute not heat whatsoever now at floor.

I bet its quite too?

It just struck me FT I can't remember seeing pictures of your truck or any pictures of the stuff you've done. And how have you gone this long without a signature ;)

If I had more time a few weeks ago i'd of like to swung further south to say hi to you, Warwagon and Paul.
"At least your heat is dry" how many times have you heard that?

Not true. It's Monsoon season. Rain at 110 degrees and the next day it is a humid 112 degrees. It's why they make an extreme VOV orface tube for 105+ degrees for Phoenix. It's also the time we see weak AC units croak. We will have a pile of bad compressors stacked up by the end of the month and have gone through 90+ lbs of R134A. (We recover and reuse what we can.)

While outside the Nice thing about your heat is just find some shade and its nice and cool!
Around here you can't escape the humidity.

Im going to cut out some more R-barrier window covers today.

I have part of a roll left over from different auto projects(over the closed cell foam in the cab and on the abs headliner on the roof. I will use the rest for the windshield. I've used every type of glue for velcro to keep the barrier close to glass, and nothing holds up to the heat.

Last edited:
I bet its quite too?

It just struck me FT I can't remember seeing pictures of your truck or any pictures of the stuff you've done. And how have you gone this long without a signature ;)
Well guess what I didn't realize it either about the signature what pics are you interested in seeing first? There are posts of my flooring install, HX40wCKO install, air box mods etc on this site already perhaps I need to do an introduction post with description and images too.

I'm sure I've seen some. They just don't come to mind.
I'd like to see some of the highlights on your rig. Maybe start a build thread on it?

Not true. It's Monsoon season. Rain at 110 degrees and the next day it is a humid 112 degrees. It's why they make an extreme VOV orface tube for 105+ degrees for Phoenix. It's also the time we see weak AC units croak. We will have a pile of bad compressors stacked up by the end of the month and have gone through 90+ lbs of R134A. (We recover and reuse what we can.)
It's 90* here now, I can hardly stand it.

Back