• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PPE Deep Allison Transmission Pan

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I just did a few maintenance items, and I upgraded my Transmission Pan to the PPE Deep Pan. I must say, that pan is very nicely put together, and went on without a hitch. The only thing I am not totally happy with is the pan hangs down pretty low. Lower than I thought. I also had to add a little more Transynd than I thought. I know what I drained out, and it seems that I put back a lot more than I took out. I am right in the middle of the Hot and Cold marks on the dip stick.

Attachments

• DSCN9391.jpg
    DSCN9391.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN9386.jpg
    DSCN9386.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN9390.jpg
    DSCN9390.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN9385.jpg
    DSCN9385.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
Wow! That sucker does hang low... Supposed to be an extra 2 quarts isn't it?

I think the PPE Deep Pan holds an extra 4 quarts. I still have a brand new Allison Deep Pan that I may change in if I don't like this one. This pan is nice, but just hangs down very low. Very low. Almost too low.

That is what I am thinking Bud. It is a good 1 1/2 to 2" difference between the Allison Deep Pan and the PPE Deep Pan. I think due to the finned aluminum.

The photos could be a little misleading, as I placed the camera under the truck as I took the photos. I will try to get a better side view photo today from a little distance away.

Last edited:
That's a little to low for my liking..

Jeff, did you put in a filter with the deeper pickup? I believe you will also need a filter lock with that pan.

I did put in the deep filter. With the PPE Deep Pan, a filter lock is not needed, as everything is cast right into the deep pan. All of the fins are molded such that a filter lock is not needed. The fins fit directly under the deep filter and they hold the filter in place. With the Stock Allison Deep Pan, you do need a filter lock. I have that setup in wait. ;)

The lock is not needed with the Allison deep filter and Allison deep pan. I believe the deep pan came stock on the Kodiak and there was not a lock with it.

Good to see that PPE incorporated someway of holding the filter. That at one time was not in some aluminum deep pans.

The lock is just extra added insurance. I was thinking of using it anyway, but looking at the inside of the deep pan, you can see that it is not necessary. If I change to the Allison Deep Pan, I think I will go ahead and use the filter lock, as it just holds the filter in place better. I have the Suncoast filter lock that I purchased some time ago. Stops cavitation.

I just noticed that Mike. When I bought it I don't think they had the shallow pan then. I really haven't noticed any cooler temps since installing the deep pan. During these really hot days, I am still seeing the same temps as I had with the stock Allison pan.

On edit: I did refill with Transynd. I did not use the hoot method.

Last edited:
Wow, I'd be totally afraid of my dad bashing that pan into something hard in his excursions. I already find corn stalks in odd places....

PPE Deep Pan

A few more photos of the pan. It hangs down just a tad bit lower than the cross member. PPE would have been better off taking 1 quart out of it and making it about 1 1/2 inches shallower. I am not really worried about it hitting anything. I don't really go off road with it. Just fire roads.

Attachments

• DSCN9396.jpg
    DSCN9396.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN9392.jpg
    DSCN9392.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN9393.jpg
    DSCN9393.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN9399.jpg
    DSCN9399.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN9395.jpg
    DSCN9395.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN9394A.jpg
    DSCN9394A.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN9392A.jpg
    DSCN9392A.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 7
The installation was too messy with the transmission fluid for any photos, as I did the install alone. The overall installation was very simple. I did a simple drain of fluid from the stock Allison pan. After the pan stopped dripping (30 minutes or so), I put the drain plug back in. I unbolted all of the bolts and carefully dropped the pan straight down, as there is still a good amount of fluid inside the deep pan. Be sure to have a large pan to catch all of the remaining fluid that continuously drips from the inside of the Allison Transmission valve bodies, etc. The OEM rubber transmission gasket for the pan comes off with the old pan, and is reused with the new PPE deep pan. After a while (another 20-25 minutes), I then removed the old filter. You pull it straight out the bottom. Be sure that you also remove the orange colored gasket from the old filter from inside the transmission where the filter goes into. I then installed the new deep pan filter, and installed the new deep pan slowly making sure to tighten up the bolts evenly. After going through the tightening process a few times and making sure the pan was secured properly, I started to put the new fluid in. Be sure that you follow the process for checking the fluid. There is a cold check and a warm check. As you fill the Allison with fluid, you must start the engine, and with the brake on, go through the gears, from R - N - D - M - 1, and back again a few times to get the fluid running through the transmission, and converter. All fluid checks are done with the engine running. It is my understanding that you do not want to overfill the fluid, so check carefully and accurately. I slowly added fluid several times, until I was just over the middle of the fluid area on the dip stick for both the cold fluid check and the warm fluid check.

Prior to the installation of the PPE deep pan, I made sure that the drain plug and the fittings for any gauges were properly secured. The drain plug is very nice, and is magnetic and comes with a rubber o-ring on it.

Install was very simple and very easy.

Back