• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Playing with efi live and....oh ****!!WTF did I do?

Sparky8370

Do chickens have large talons
Reaction score
Well I got efi in today. The first thing I did was go in and correct for tire size. Then I used the mcrat 20/20 method for starter tunes, although didn't adjust anything for boost because it's an LB7. So that seemed to be going well. Nothing too spectacular. Felt little more than doing the exhaust and filter. So I drove it around for about 7 miles like that. When I got home I found a "clean 100" tune on dp. It was for an 04 so some of the tables were different. It was a different OS so I couldn't script it (or could I?) so I went through and adjusted the tables one by one. Some I didn't do quite the same or just left alone because the ones in the other tune had spikes in the middle of the 3d map. Also, that tune didn't really have any timing. So I used the same method as in the mcrat 20/20 for that, hoping that wouldn't smoke too much driving around. I couldn't figure out how to reset taps, so I figured it would just relearn. I drove around for another 7 miles or so and was being real gentle. I got on an open stretch and rolled into a little. Def not more than 1/3 throttle. As I was doing it I clicked tow/haul. A few seconds later, BAM and the revs went up. I immediately let out of it. The SES light came on and when I got home I had these codes.
p0700, p1781, p0735 Is this tune too big or is it just because I didn't let it relearn? I can tell you one thing, I was barely hitting the throttle and this thing felt like an animal!!!

I was going to put the tune in the tune section so you guys could look at it and tell me if it's really f'd up or if it's just too much for a stock tranny, or if it's even just as simple as not letting it learn. But I don't want somebody to download it thinking it's a proven tune. My stock tune is in there though. (Hey if my laptop crashes at least I've got a back up file somewhere.)

You went into limp mode. Thats what those codes are, the truck goes bam and the revs go up and then your stuck in one gear till you clear the codes or cycle the key 3 times.

As for resetting TAPS go to the scan tool and click the allison logo, you can reset them through that.

I'll try that tomorrow. It didn't get stuck in one gear, possibly because I let out so quick. I was worried, I had a bad feeling because it was sooooo nadsy. Barely touch the throttle and the thing wanted to take off like a rocket!!

Limp mode is one gear, if you got those codes you were in limp mode. It puts the truck in 4th gear and unlocks the TC.

So you never upshift or downshift out of it, and the TC never locks up.

But do to the smooth shifts of the allison its hard to tell that your only in one gear unless you look at your laptop, or move the shifter.

The truck will start from a dead stop in 4th gear fine, afterall Im sure allison wouldnt design the transmission protction to harm the transmission.

That sucks man. If it was just 100HP it shouldn't been to much for your tranny. Unless you've beat it alot..:D

As far as scripting different OS, I don't think it's possible. The EFI guys are working on new updates for us to make this work. They didn't give me a time frame though.

you can script from a differant os it is just harder. you have to find a stock os to match and oh hell i forgot. but it can be done because i have done it. it is on the dp if your interested. just have to do some digging.

you can script from a differant os it is just harder. you have to find a stock os to match and oh hell i forgot. but it can be done because i have done it. it is on the dp if your interested. just have to do some digging.

From the way I understand it. You have to find the stock tune with the same os to script. Then you can run that script on your current os and stock file.

But, just don't overwrite your stock file..:D

okay remembered it. you need to find the stock os of the performance tune you want to make yours. once you have the performance tune and the like stock os open both in efi. create a script to make the list of changes. you will be given the option to save it, so do this but remember the name you save it under. close efi, then reopen it with your stock os tune, go to edit run script, picking the one you just saved and run the script. it will make a list of the changes and i think it alerts you to the differances that cant be changed.

I figured I'd change the spin on since I haven't done that and don't know when the last owner had it done. (I've had it for about 25,000 miles so far) Well, there was no magnet in there. And the fluid has a slight burnt smell, but it's red. I may just change the fluid too and get the magnet.

Keep in mind guys, 100 hp will not neccessarily limp a trans. It's the torque spike that does it. If it was fueling really hard down low you can bet it was making torque comparable to a 150+hp tune. Be careful with those tunes that fuel hard right off the pedal.

Nick

This one wasn't making any smoke, at least not that I could see but it was dark. I had the right mirror aimed right at the tailpipe too. The 20/20 starter tune made some, not much.

Hey Nick, I downloaded my stock tune in the tune library. When I decide what I want do you want to just pull it from there or would it be easier for you if I just emailed it with the choices?

I downloaded a supposedly 90hp tune that was a different OS, scripted it with a stock tune of the same OS and ran that script on my stock tune. It felt like it was closer to stock than that 20/20 tune. Def way way less than the 100hp tune (which I had modified so that may have been the problem) I have since worked on the 20/20 tune a bit and I am liking it so far. I had to play with it a while before I felt comfortable. I made some small changes a couple times.

Do any EFI veterans want to take a look at some of these and tell me what you think? What I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong, etc.,etc.?
I'm pretty happy with it right now.

Nick, I still have to send you my stock tune and what I want for the DSP5, I just wanted to play with it for a little while and figure out what I want. I didn't want to have you build me something and then figure out what's going on and regret screwing up my chance to have you build me what's best for me. LOL not sure if you could follow that the way I put it, but I still intend on sending you the tune so you can build the DSP5.
Right now I'm thinking
#1 smoke tune
#2 stock or pretty much stock
#3 tow tune
#4 peppy tune
#5 fast tune that's safe for a stock tranny

Well Nick I still haven't installed the dsp5 switch yet. I have limped my tranny twice. I smoked a bmw 740 getting onto the highway the other day. I let off a bit so I wouldn't limp it, so I wasn't WOT. I was looking back in the rearview, smiling as the beemer got smaller (then flew up on me after I let off) At the 5th gear shift around 80, this time I noticed a huge black cloud. Generally, the smoke clears up pretty quick and doesn't do it again. Is this related to de-fueling then re-fueling?

If you let boost fall off then stomp the pedal, you'll get a good cloud of soot. I think that's what you're describing...? Turbo has to be spooled to clear the fuel.

Nick

That could be what caused it, but I never stomped it. I just let out from full throttle to about 3/4-7/8 throttle.
This wasn't your tune Nick, I still haven't loaded that yet. I'm planning on making my own switch, so I haven't installed that one yet.

Even lifting a little on a full throttle shift can greatly increase the amount of fuel pulled on a shift. Example: Full throttle upshift defuels to 80mm3, while a 3/4 throttle upshift defuels 35mm3 - this is how a stock LB7 is set up @3200RPM.

Just something to think about,

Nick

That could be what caused it, but I never stomped it. I just let out from full throttle to about 3/4-7/8 throttle.
This wasn't your tune Nick, I still haven't loaded that yet. I'm planning on making my own switch, so I haven't installed that one yet.

On my pulling tune when i let up there is a big pop and a huge cloud shoots out. But that tune runs a lot of fuel and timing. DQANGEROUS fuel and Timing. I logged 2154* EGT last pull.

Back