• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 Progress

Haha Yeah, giving them WAY to much credit. They never never came out. I had to do all the photos for it and sent it to them. I force fed them information and they still got it wrong lol

I know the tribulations you had getting that feature done. Wish we had a sarcasm font, would have used it for my previous post.

Still making the new crossover pipe. Finding the correct flanges I want to use is time consuming, along with some special fittings I had to order for the fueling side of things. And if you never guessed, I am literally the worst human being in the world to pick up on sarcasm lol

Well, the crossover pipe is done, whole top of the motor is done, fuel is setup and ready to go. I'm going to hold off on the AirDog for a bit until after the motor gets all the kinks worked out of it. If something comes up after I start it, I want to be able to rule out the lift pump. Installing the airdog would just be another variable into the equation. So there are a few issues with this install that should be noted. There is a little "tit" that comes off the girdle that prevents the starter from being installed. Borderline sits over one of the starter bolt holes. I've been trying to get in touch with Leroy to see what he did about this. If it's a solid chunk, I can just trim it down, but if it is hollow, I don't know what I am going to have to do. The next issue comes with the oil pan. I'm not sure if the 1-ton front axles are larger than on the 3/4 tons, but the oil pan hits the front diff pretty good. I'm sure after a while it will either rub a hole in the diff or rub a hole in the pan. I guess time will tell on that one. Had to un-mount the tranny just to have room to slide the P400 back far enough to slide it past the diff, then it had to swing forward. I'm still iffy on that whole thing

Can you take a pic of the tit blocking the starter and oilpan clearance issues?

I would think you need a ton of clearance between pan and dif, for a lot of axle movement during rough terrain.

Do you have a picture of the starter tit thing, could be a new thing on the new girdles?

There is a little "tit" that comes off the girdle that prevents the starter from being installed. Borderline sits over one of the starter bolt holes. I've been trying to get in touch with Leroy to see what he did about this. If it's a solid chunk, I can just trim it down, but if it is hollow, I don't know what I am going to have to do.

Can you take a pic of the tit blocking the starter and oilpan clearance issues?

Do you have a picture of the starter tit thing, could be a new thing on the new girdles?

So many comments come to mind. So many......... :smuggrin:

I googled some pictures of the P400 and it seems some of the older blocks don't seem to have any casting pieces that come out near the starter. I didn't think they updated any of the castings. Seems weird. Should be able to get a picture of it later today. I also didn't think the front differential moved, just the cv axles.

The front Diff housing and engine both move to the limits of the mounts and bushing rubber. The front diff is on rubber bushings IDK how much they can move. Pop the hood, brake stand in both reverse then drive and you get an idea of how much the engine moves. As the turbo lights and you get full power you can move even more. The frame flexes a little too. Worn engine mounts are even worse. Poly, ES, may move less.

Yeah, I guess "a ton" is a crappy measurement for clearance. 1/4"-3/8" was my thought.
Like WW said- movement of mounting bushings, engine mounts, frame flex. The dif is thought of as solid, but rough terrain can really get it to move. Grab a prybar and you'll be surprised how much you can flex those bushings.

Back