• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New 6.2 660 GM short block build with DS4 injection pump

I was going by appearance of the repair, if it didn't look or sound right, I don't blame you.

For sure,appearance wise it looks a-okay.It just does'nt sound right though when being cranked over.I think I made the right decision in not using it.

pmd relocation to the bumper is the best move for extending the life of the pmd, way better than just loosing the cover. Why not keep the cover and relocate the pmd?

1 more vote for the green belt btw, cool to have it match.

Also, what all mods are you doing? ftb, lp upgrades, upgrade cooling, etc?

I plan on keeping the cover as it looks pretty good.I do like it.I'm buying another grey stanadyne PMD as I already have the extension harness and might get some thick aluminum plate and have fuel pass through it to keep the PMD nice and cool.On some of the Mack trucks I remember seeing one back in 2002 that was drive-by-wire and it had fuel passing through the back of the fuel solenoid driver to keep things cool.I really like that idea.

I have a kennedy lift pump harness and delco lift pump that I bought some time ago.I will use that.I picked up some aeroquip hose for the transmission lines with the 6an push-loc fittings.I did the same with my 93 K1500.I bought new fittings for the 4L80E so it's coming together gradually.I have the HO water pump on it but it does'nt have dual thermostats.I picked up a delco thermostat and will put it in place in the next day or so.

My fuel tank arrives today so i'll put that in place with new fuel lines and brake lines.More pictures are on the way.

Where did you find the belt?

Weld looks great, I wouldn't worry about that failing but like you said, why chance it, especially if you have the money to start from scratch.

I bought two of these belts from rock-auto.I will get you a part number.The paper sleeve on the belt says acdelco but its a gates belt.

The repair does look okay.No doubt about it.I did'nt repair it though and i'm not sure who did.While cranking over the 599 in the truck it felt like the starter was'nt engaging the flexplate teeth like it should.Like it was'nt in perfect alignment.I inspected the teeth on the old flexplate and it did'nt look all that bad but had seen better days and the starter drive looked to be in good shape too.If you look directly inside the starter bolt hole around the area thats been welded it does'nt look to be oblong,etc.But it just did'nt seem right when being cranked over.

I have an engine the same way. The repair was a proper flexplate. The engine had an aftermarket flexplate on it of unknown brand. It made the starter loud when cranking (teeth noise). Swapping to an OEM flexplate on the engine solved this issue. Fortunately the engine was on a test stand to it made troubleshooting this problem simple. I think the flexplate led to the broken corner of the block starter mount.

I recently bought a green backed serpentine belt. I believe it is a Gate's HD version. It was their regular number with HD on the end. Its suppose to have Kevlar in it. I guess some Kevlar in the threads.

I bought it at CARQUEST. I asked for their best or heaviest duty belt and he looked it up as an option. They had to get it from the warehouse as they did not carry the HD version in the store just the regular Gates.

I have been checking in on the thread. The project looks real good by the way.

Attachments

• Belt-HD.jpg
    Belt-HD.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 5
As usual you have to dig sometimes and ask different ways and it takes getting the right counter person. The first person to help me did not know there was that option. I had given her the number off my old belt and asked for the BEST! belt this size. She said she had that size and number. I said I like Gates but had better luck last time with a Carquest Gold belt. Was it available? Was the Gates K060990 the BEST! available? She started to sing the company song as its the best I have here. Then kinda acted like take it or leave it. Another guy said look up the HD version. She took my vehicle info and said that is the wrong belt ..... I know I want this size and the best belt available period. Another guy came over told me this was supposedly the HD version and had Kevlar in it. He ordered it from the warehouse.

Here are a couple pics of the fuel lines i made up from scratch.I planned on using the plastic hold down for both lines to snap into on the bellhousing but the lines had trouble staying in place so i fastened the lines down a little differently but it looks pretty good i think.I would have taken more pictures but my iPhone crapped out on me.More pictures will be posted tommorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 9
I have been checking in on the thread. The project looks real good by the way.

Thank you.I do appreciate it.I have the new fuel tank and sending unit in position.All looks well.The delco lift pump is installed as well.Tommorrow i think i'll install the transmission lines and get those in place,change the fluid and filter on the transmission and refill the transfer case.More pictures are on the way.

biggest issue is having something you can lift it with

Very true.My father had some lifting straps that we put under the cab on both sides and had our 4wd farm tractor lift it off.If a tractor was not available,you'd need a few good strong friends to come by and help you out.The doors are pretty heavy so if they were removed it would be that much easier.

Car lift makes it easy.

I helped a friend do his cab and front clip with camper jacks. We just made a 2x4 frame from the body to the jacks. Then built a couple diagonal braces underneath it and nailed a tarp over the top of it because he new his would be a 10-12 month project.

Or any clearance in the garage to use straps and come-alongs.

Here are some updated pictures of the fuel lines that I fabricated.I altered the lines on the bell housing a little from yesterday but I'm making progress as each day passes by.I brought the lift pump back closer to the tank.I figure these lift pumps do a better job of pushing fuel rather than pull it so I altered the location just a little.I'm just about ready to have the cab installed.More pictures will follow soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 9
Car lift makes it easy.

I helped a friend do his cab and front clip with camper jacks. We just made a 2x4 frame from the body to the jacks. Then built a couple diagonal braces underneath it and nailed a tarp over the top of it because he new his would be a 10-12 month project.

Or any clearance in the garage to use straps and come-alongs.

A car lift would be awesome as well.No question about it.They certainly make things a whole lot easier.

Hey wait a second, I see a rusted non painted bracket. That doesn't match the rest of the project, you better fix that.

Looking great so far!

Hey wait a second, I see a rusted non painted bracket. That doesn't match the rest of the project, you better fix that.

Looking great so far!

Sharp eye jorgie...lol.I did'nt paint that one,but I will soon:)I think tommorrow i'll try to get those transmission lines in place.I need to make up a couple of mounting brackets so the lines don't chafe or burn on the exhaust.I have a couple of ideas in mind so i'll see what tommorrow brings.

Looks good so far. Ever thought about painting the the trans? I did that on my 69 C10 and it looked awesome.

Looks good so far. Ever thought about painting the the trans? I did that on my 69 C10 and it looked awesome.

The thought did cross my mind about painting it.I was thinking about some cast aluminum paint from duplicolor.What color did you paint yours?

The thought did cross my mind about painting it.I was thinking about some cast aluminum paint from duplicolor.What color did you paint yours?

Well the motor was Chevy orange so I painted the trans to match. I cleaned the trans and then cleaned up some of the casting flash with a flapper wheel on a 4" grinder. Then I went with a chrome pan and stainless ARP pan bolts. Looked pretty sweet. I vote for painting the trans the same color as the motor. In the 69 the firewall and tunnel are real open so other people could see it. In your case nobody will really see it but you will every time you crawl under her to do a little maintenance!

Back