• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need some help with GearVendors OD unit behind 4L80E

Here is a photo of a J type laylock unit from a Triumph compared to the GV unit. Take note of the center section of the OD units on both. GV designed several trans adapters and tail housing depending on what vehicle they went on. the center sections look identical the only difference on mine is I have the add-on oil sump the bolts to the lower part of the center section for extra capacity.

Oh and I misspoke on my last post. it's "Laylock" not Layland LOL

Laylock unit...
1726064378035.png

GV unit (note this one shows the trans adapter installed)
1726064506425.png

Here is a photo of a J type laylock unit from a Triumph compared to the GV unit. Take note of the center section of the OD units on both. GV designed several trans adapters and tail housing depending on what vehicle they went on. the center sections look identical the only difference on mine is I have the add-on oil sump the bolts to the lower part of the center section for extra capacity.

Oh and I misspoke on my last post. it's "Laylock" not Layland LOL

Laylock unit...
View attachment 89670

GV unit (note this one shows the trans adapter installed)
View attachment 89671
I wonder if the gears and bearings in the GV unit is heavier dutier than the Laylock ?

From what I have read online they are the same other than the cone shape clutch. one fella in another forum said GV themselves said that the laylock cone clutch is much stronger and better built. I found that kinda odd. make me wonder if the GV units are a copy of the original where they improved on design and adapted it for use in other applications.

Back