• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My luck has gone south....

This whole thread took the direction we all knew it would. The Brotherhood here is alive and well. :thumbsup:

Thanks every one for the help, you are all great!

I have the camera charged and ready to document the event, Just waiting on the tool.

regardless of the water pump issue...you still got a great truck...

I am not upset about the water pump going out at all, its a used truck and things will happen. I am just suprised of the lack of experienced dmax mechanics in the local shops! The only guy I KNOW would do a great job was my EX (key word) brother in law who was the Mr Goodwrench guy at the GMC dealer but he moved to houston to go to auto body school.

I am damn proud of my purchase though, I can't wait to get it running again!

On a side note! EVERY truck I have kept for over 1yr has had the water pump go out in less than 1 month after buying the truck, this one might stay awhile :agreed: !

89 Chevy 2500 scotsdale decked out edelbrock 350 4spd stick 4.10's, Bought when I was 14 WP went out 4 days later. Rolled it when I was 16 LOVED the truck though
95 Chevy 1500 305 "Greenie" bought the week after I rolled the 89, hit a deer 2 days later and WP went out on the way home from getting it out of the body shop. STILL IN THE FAMILY
95 Chevy 1500 6.5 IN SIG, WP went out 3 weeks after I got it in the middle of a blizzard 3 years ago (I was 20) WP is currently out again :rolleyes5:
06 Chevy Yeah you get the pic, anyone notice any other trends??? :eek:

The other 3 where a piece of cake compared to the dmax! I did the WP on my 305 a second time when I had pneumonia and could barely stand, it still only took an hour. I am setting aside a whole day for the dmax! lol

Atleast I didn't hit a deer with it yet! KNOCK ON WOOD!

Don't know what the fuss is all about, Dealer charged me 520 bucks to replace mine and that wa parts and labor. It was done in 3 hours

I have only had to replace one factory pump between the two motors I've used...on the rebuild of my first motor I am seriously considering going with an electric pump that is inline in the lower radiator hose...they are expensive, but are simple to change...the cost of the new electric pump would be just over $100 less than a parts and labor swap on the factory style...and I could easily do that myself in 15 minutes...the inline electrics are rated at 10k hours so in theory I should never see a failure...

I have a feeling that there is a water pump gremlin hiding under your boots. :skep:

An update while I am in the middle of the Waterpump R&R.

My lower starter bolt was rounded off when I got in there and I had to remove the starter motor to get a decent angle on it with a larger 6 point socket. The internals of the starter don't look so good so instead of going through the hassle of getting it back together I am getting a new one AND 2 new bolts. Only took 8 hours to get the rounded off bolt loose Mad2 .

I have a tow truck on speed dial 1 and a mobile mechanic on speed dial 2. I am about to pull my hair out on this thing.

I haven't given up yet but the truck has fought me the whole way and a lack of tools and parts at my back and call makes a 1hour R&R impossible. More like 1 week after I make a 100 mile round trip/day to get parts and tools.

An update while I am in the middle of the Waterpump R&R.

My lower starter bolt was rounded off when I got in there and I had to remove the starter motor to get a decent angle on it with a larger 6 point socket. The internals of the starter don't look so good so instead of going through the hassle of getting it back together I am getting a new one AND 2 new bolts. Only took 8 hours to get the rounded off bolt loose Mad2 .

I have a tow truck on speed dial 1 and a mobile mechanic on speed dial 2. I am about to pull my hair out on this thing.

I haven't given up yet but the truck has fought me the whole way and a lack of tools and parts at my back and call makes a 1hour R&R impossible. More like 1 week after I make a 100 mile round trip/day to get parts and tools.

You've dug this far.. Don't get discouraged.. Because, when you get it done you'll know it's right (or wrong :D).

Good luck!

It's gonna be done 2mro, having a friend come out in the AM that has some tools i dont have and he has done this job before. He woulda been out sooner but our schedules didn't mesh.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I have pics taken and will get a write up together when it is all said and done! I even have the "What not to do list!" it woulda been pretty handy for me lol.

Its running and has another 1000 miles on it lol.

I am working on a short write up, I didn't get as many pics as I would have liked since I was getting rushed toward the end and got called out during reassembly and had my friend put it back together.

Question on operating temps: Can the dmax run too cold? I see ~175 cruising around in these cooler ~40* outside temps. Runs ~197 w/ 3K gallon of fertilizer behind it so the t stat seems functional. The temp # is from the digital read out on my Edge evolution

Its running and has another 1000 miles on it lol.

I am working on a short write up, I didn't get as many pics as I would have liked since I was getting rushed toward the end and got called out during reassembly and had my friend put it back together.

Question on operating temps: Can the dmax run too cold? I see ~175 cruising around in these cooler ~40* outside temps. Runs ~197 w/ 3K gallon of fertilizer behind it so the t stat seems functional. The temp # is from the digital read out on my Edge evolution

Those temperatures are just about what I see. Mine has always run much cooler once the cooler weather sets in.

Back