• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Moving a shop/garage to my house

Second, I don't normally openly disagree with what somebody says. But, anchor bolts in tornado alley, or areas that consistently deal with high winds are not over rated. Back in the dust bowl days in Oklahoma my mother, as a child, was in a house that was picked up by a tornado. Fortunately, the house was only turned and set back down, however it was no longer habitable.

Don

I was being sarcastic. If I was building a new building today, I would anchor it, without question. Aside from that, a house built in the early 1800s is built much differently than a modern building.

I wouldn't put money on anchor bolts winning an argument, though, if a tornado comes along. My wife and I watched (literally watched) as a neighbors house was sucked up into the sky. The anchor bolts may have held the sill plate, but didn't do much for anything above that.

When you pour your floor, don't allow the floor concrete to touch the outside block. It will transfer heat. I see you have foam against the inside block wall, but in some areas, it doesn't look like it is up to where your floor grade will be.

Neat project!

Well its been a while since I updated you guys on the project but I got the floor poured back on Halloween and was out of town the next weekend but this last weekend I got the sheeting all replaced and the windows that Im not going to have sheeted over, I found a used 8x18 garage door on craigslist, I had planed for a 9ft door but this used one was a lot cheaper and im already over my budget had to do some changing but no big deal, also got a used steel entry door from a friends parents and got that installed as well. it is nice to finally be able to leave my tools in the garage and lock the door, having to pick up every evening was getting old. ill take some new pics tomorow

Having to pick up tools almost every evening gets old. I did that for many years as I moved from job site to job site. Being able to secure your tools is priceless. Good to hear that you are at that point now.

Don

Back