• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Moving a shop/garage to my house

A new development has came I the last few days we will be moving my old "mini shop" to our cabin Saturday I got the last of my stuff out of it tonight and will be lifting it onto a trailer tomorrow

Here is a pic of the old 6.5 doin sone work and a couple of my old mini shop

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1443406682280.jpg
    FB_IMG_1443406682280.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20151001_233159.jpg
    20151001_233159.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20151001_233202.jpg
    20151001_233202.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20151001_233204.jpg
    20151001_233204.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 15
I should mention that I had to move the new building about 4 blocks to a storage yard but due to tight corners I had to go about a mile around

Just like a 6.5... Drags it's own repair garage with it! Was their any box you didn't check with "over"? Over: weight, height, width, length, and size? :wacky:

Well I got my building permits and have decided to go with footings for a couple reasons, much better structurally, better to heat, and lastly im afraid that if I poured a slab the weight of trailer and building would crack the concrete since it will stl be rather green.

Our frost code is 42" so im going to pour 12" footing to grade and then block up from there. lucky for me I have a buddy that's a block layer and he said he will help me lay the block if I put a clutch and ring gear in his 79 ford high boy, I love a good labor swap

Good choice on doing a real foundation!

So I am going to be putting my wood burner back into this garage but I can decide where the best place to put it would be, I know I'm a long ways off from this yet but trying to get the layout right from the start. The options are the back corners or in the middle, what's every ones thoughts. I have a magic heat on it so it helps with circulation of heat

Possibly a little late, but . . .

I'd go with downwind. Easiest way to determine direction of the prevailing winds is to check the alignment of paved runway at the local municipal and / or general aviation airport(s).

I have been thinking about doing the floor heat, at least running the piping and doing the rest as budget allows iv always wanted it and like you say now is the time to do it. Iv been told the most expensive part is the insulation under it

I'm still going to have a wood burner but would use the floor heat to keep it around 40 and then light a fire when I want to be working on something

40 will feel warmer, though, since the heat is always coming up at you.

Uponor was the brand of tubing and fittings I've used. Plan your loops in 300' or less. It might be different where you are, but here, we did 6" from the outside wall (2" Styrofoam on inside of block wall), then 12" from outside, then 18", before starting the bigger spacings for the interior area. Plan ahead and if you plan to saw the concrete for stress cracks, be sure your tubing is plenty below your floor surface. I think you'll want to cut 1" deep for an effective cut, if you do this, but a good concrete guy will know best.

Well the weekend was eventful and successfull got the old garage emptied Thursday and lifted and on trailer Friday night. Headed outta town at 645am, trip went almost perfect until the rear beam snapped and back of building fell, we where about 2 miles from destination. Luckily we had the jacks and some lumber along and where able to get it jacked back up and splint the beam with 2x6s and lots of lag screws. Didn't have time to get any pics since we where in the middle of road, took us about 15 min to fix and not a single car came down the road, no more than we get back in the truck and two grain trucks come up behind us. Got off to side and let them by and took it easy the rest of the way. Was able to get it pretty close to where we wanted to set it with truck but ended up using our old Honda fourtrax 300 to get it perfect since there was almost no tongue weight. heres a few pics
38760.jpeg 20151002_213635.jpg 20151003_070836.jpg 20151003_090526.jpg 20151003_132735.jpg

Good job on the prep & plan to get going at soonest light. Never know what will happen, but your planning helped deal with the unexpected.

Well after another busy week and weekend I have footings and block walls.

Unfortunately I have hit my "goal" budget already, let's be honest It was a dream really, but unless something completely unexpected happens I'll be within my max budget all that is left is to pour floor and but garage door.

I'll add some pics of wall a little later it was dark when we finished last night20151010_182125.jpg 20151010_182139.jpg 20151010_182201.jpg

Anchor bolts are overrated. Our house has been sitting right where it is since the early 1800s and hasn't moved. Remind me and I'll post back next year with an update.;)

First, I'd like to congratulate you on a well executed building move.

Second, I don't normally openly disagree with what somebody says. But, anchor bolts in tornado alley, or areas that consistently deal with high winds are not over rated. Back in the dust bowl days in Oklahoma my mother, as a child, was in a house that was picked up by a tornado. Fortunately, the house was only turned and set back down, however it was no longer habitable.

Don

Last edited:
Sorry haven't been able to post for a while but last Saturday we got the building moved in and set on the walls and anchored down. wasn't able to get much done this weekend due to my daughters first birthday party, but did get the dirt work done and the sub grade set. need to get a few more things done before I pour the floor next Saturday,.

I want to put some sort of anchors in the floor so if I ever need to do some crazy stuff its nice to be able to anchor a project down easily. Im thinking just some sort or beam or something with a plate set flush with the floor maybe 6"x6" when needed a d ring or something could be welded to the plate and removed when finished

20151018_155804.jpg 20151018_155831.jpg 20151018_155844.jpg 20151018_155943.jpg 20151018_155955.jpg 20151018_160013.jpg 20151018_160025.jpg 20151018_160038.jpg

Back