• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Kojo tune

Guys this tune is a real good deal i just bought a new heath cold air kit put it on and it wont pull 17psi like it did before but no prob pullin 15-16 psi had a stupid open element k&n im pulling a 11,000 pd 5er wthout a prob cant do that on a stock pcm just installed a new radiator and 2 new electic fans

Are you saying you have a heath tune or Kojo?

Guys this tune is a real good deal i just bought a new heath cold air kit put it on and it wont pull 17psi like it did before but no prob pullin 15-16 psi had a stupid open element k&n im pulling a 11,000 pd 5er wthout a prob cant do that on a stock pcm just installed a new radiator and 2 new electic fans
Well,i can pull 11000 lbs without a problem with the stock ECM and stock airfilter,radiator and fan.No overheat problem either.
So what's the big deal here?

Well,i can pull 11000 lbs without a problem with the stock ECM and stock airfilter,radiator and fan.No overheat problem either.
So what's the big deal here?

Well, you have to qualify these statements, you can pull it up a hill? Down the road at 30mph? on a flat highway at 55mph? And you have to qualify what year you are talking about, because stock air filter in a 98 is not the stock air filter in a 95, is not an open element under the hood. And the stock PCM in a 98 F engine is not the PCM in a stock 94/95 anything as well.

Well, you have to qualify these statements, you can pull it up a hill? Down the road at 30mph? on a flat highway at 55mph? And you have to qualify what year you are talking about, because stock air filter in a 98 is not the stock air filter in a 95, is not an open element under the hood. And the stock PCM in a 98 F engine is not the PCM in a stock 94/95 anything as well.
It's my 98,and yes i pull it up a grade 6-7 hill in third and easy pull at 55 down the highway in OD altough i don't like going that fast with a heavy load(i ain't suicidal),50 is fast enough for me.
The uphill is not the battle,it's the downhill that worry's me.

It's my 98,and yes i pull it up a grade 6-7 hill in third and easy pull at 55 down the highway in OD altough i don't like going that fast with a heavy load(i ain't suicidal),50 is fast enough for me.
The uphill is not the battle,it's the downhill that worry's me.

Is that a load similar to a 5th wheel or is it more of a flat deck?

Wind loads may travel trailers much more of a Biotch...

On the down hill note;

Heath adds a lower converter lock (calls it "torque lock" IIRC) for additional engine braking on downhills.

Or so I'm lead to believe.

It's my understanding that it simply is lower engage and disengagement speeds for the converter clutch.

I'm not sure how well it works as I don't actually have a heath tune......yet.

just a stock trailer or a 24' gooseneck flatdeck with whatever on it,last load had a 8500 lb tracksteer on it.
I had an 12000 lb tractor on it the other day just to see how it would pull it,it did it not to bad but i could not control the load on a down hill run with my truck.(thats why my son hauled my new to me belarus with his one ton ford)
yes,travel trailers are more windprone,i wouldn't want to pull one of these along going over 75 km either when it is windy.
yes a TC lock in the lower gears would help but even then you don't want to over rev and prob need an exhaust brake to boot.
But jeez, all that stuff is pricy!

I hear ya there!

500 smackers just for a heath tune......

Sorry, BJ, I can't agree with that one. When I got to Ellensburg, Bill set me up with my Heath tune, TM, new Tstat and fan clutch, and Bill set the IP for me - it was worth A LOT more than what he charged me (to me). Before I got to Ellensburg, I was ready to burn the truck on the side of the road. Actually, I thought it might burn itself. And I was pulling a 9800# high-front 5er... lots of wind-resistance.

After, it was like driving a new truck. Really.

Can't buy a new truck for what you'll spend there... lots of others have had the same experience - I hope you do, too.

Kojo can also modify the TCC lock parameters so it does not unlock when you decelerate until its programmed to at the minimum speed for the gear.

Its in the OBD2 definitions, and I believe GW even once posted a screenshot of the TCC parameters you have to change.

Just have to ask for it.

Sorry, BJ, I can't agree with that one. When I got to Ellensburg, Bill set me up with my Heath tune, TM, new Tstat and fan clutch, and Bill set the IP for me - it was worth A LOT more than what he charged me (to me). Before I got to Ellensburg, I was ready to burn the truck on the side of the road. Actually, I thought it might burn itself. And I was pulling a 9800# high-front 5er... lots of wind-resistance.

After, it was like driving a new truck. Really.

Can't buy a new truck for what you'll spend there... lots of others have had the same experience - I hope you do, too.

I hope so too.

I'm up to just over a grand in parts from Heath now.

PCM, turbomaster, belt and fluidampr.

I'm not saying it's not worth the price of admission, but it's still pricy no matter how you slice it.

I just wish I had a bit more tuning experience and the time to sort it out myself right now. But time has run out and I just have to pony up and pay it....

Bison, I wish I had you're kind of experience with towing that weight. In my case my 3500 hated dragging that much when it was stock. With not much done other than exhaust, my 11k gvw travel trailer towed fine at 55 mph on flat ground, but throw any kind of hill in front of it and it fell on it's face. I'm talking grinding over the top at 35mph at 230 degrees and I don't even want to know the egts. The truck had no ba**s stock, and it got better with mods but worse with the taller tires. Shouldn't have gotten that bad imo, they were only 255/85 tires.

I was happy with the KOJO tune, it was a noticeable improvement. Not a neck-snapping tire burner, but it felt a little stronger. Got no improvement at all at the dragstrip, which surprised me because it felt faster, but at the time I think I was having fuel delivery issues, it would run out of steam over 60mph. KOJO helped with towing too. I think the ATT was the single biggest improvement to the trucks overall driveability, and particularly to the towing power. The last time I towed with that truck I blew right up the hills like it was nothing. But like I said at the start, stock the truck was not a good choice for towing that much weight. So I was surprised to read that your 98 2500 was able to do it ok.

Havent tried doing anything yet with my 94 Sub. I'm very leery of the cooling system, since my 97 cooling system couldn't handle the towing, at least not until I did the fan clutch mod. I will say this though-bone stock this Sub feels quicker than the 3500 did with all the mods. I'm attributing that to the 3:73s, although in my experience 4:10s are better for launching and acceleration in general. Maybe the little weenie tires make a difference too. I'm currently upsizing one size on the Sub, from 245 to 265. Hopefully it doesn't hurt it. Sub is far far better on fuel than the 3500 was.

hate how these diesels with 4 speed overdrive transmissions seem to be so negatively affected by slight changes in tire size. I had a bunch of gassers with 3 speeds and I always lifted them and ran 35s or 36s. Never had any complaints, except the truck with 3.08s and 36-14.50s. Always had plenty of power with 4.10s and a smallblock, too, whereas my 97 6.5 3500 couldn't stand turning little 33s.

hate how these diesels with 4 speed overdrive transmissions seem to be so negatively affected by slight changes in tire size. I had a bunch of gassers with 3 speeds and I always lifted them and ran 35s or 36s. Never had any complaints, except the truck with 3.08s and 36-14.50s. Always had plenty of power with 4.10s and a smallblock, too, whereas my 97 6.5 3500 couldn't stand turning little 33s.

I would suspect it has to do more with the error the PCM sees and what the actual speed is.

A DIP switch modified DRAC/VSSB would correct the error and probably bring things a bit more in line.

The PCM just sees the signal from the VSSB (40 PPM if I remember), it doesn't know gearing or anything else besides what the switches in the program are and what it's sensors feed it. If the VSSB is feeding it the wrong info, well....

If you want a larger tire try running a 235/85R16. Approx the same height as a 265/75R16 but the narrower tread = less rolling resistance. I'm getting a solid 19+ highway with my 6.5L and that size.

I actually have a set of nice 235/85s, currently on my dually. Been looking for 19.5s or some 9.00-16 tires for it, and was going to throw the 235/85s on the Sub. But, ran across a decent set of 265/75s for $50 and couldn't pass it up. I see lots of people running 285s and towing things, so I should be able to get by with a 265, they're not huge.

As for the vssb, I had kojo make me a corrected one for my dually with the 255/85s on it. Don't know if it ever worked or not. Truck still fell on it's face at the drags at 60mph.

I'm leaning more towards using the 82 to tow my camper. I don't have any faith in the 94 cooling system, and the tranny shifts a little sloppy, so I'm worried it may not be as stout as my 97 was. Maybe I'll hook it up and try it locally, but I don't dare take off on a trip to the mountains with it.

I have a kojo tune in my 96. It really woke the truck up and made it much easier to pull my 26' TT. I had an issue at first with the program setting the SES light, but Kojo sent me another ECM to take care of it. When I initially talked to Patrick about the ECM, he was up front and said that if my truck had an auto trans, the Heath ECM would be best for what I wanted, but Kojo's could be tweaked better for my NV4500. I don't know what differences he made, but I'm happy with it.

I have a kojo tune in my 96. It really woke the truck up and made it much easier to pull my 26' TT. I had an issue at first with the program setting the SES light, but Kojo sent me another ECM to take care of it. When I initially talked to Patrick about the ECM, he was up front and said that if my truck had an auto trans, the Heath ECM would be best for what I wanted, but Kojo's could be tweaked better for my NV4500. I don't know what differences he made, but I'm happy with it.
Thanks for that tidbit of info.

Had the month of June on vaction pulled my high front 5r almost 500 miles with my 6.5 did a great job pulled in some decent grade hiles in southern IL ect never had it passed 213 had to get a runnin head start on a few hills 75mph at start of hill and 38mph at top avarged 8-9mpg pulls easily 70-75mph on flat ground The other day we were going racing I had my drag car on my open car trailor witch is a 78 Ford Fairmont wagon that weights 3300lbs stoped at my brothers house he told me to smokem off so i spooled it ip and low and behold 12 psi and 4 tires blazin smoke it was cool as hell This is a real good tune and air box

Back