• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is the new 4.5 Duramax a good option for the HD Series?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO-Stick to the 1/2 Ton Frame (1500, Tahoe, etc)

• Maybe-Discuss

• Don't Care

• Total voters

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I am not totally convinced yet that this motor has promise in a HD truck. So far all evidence has pointed out it would be in a 1/2 ton platform. So i voted maybe.

I think that it might be a good option as a replacement for the 6.0L for the base model trucks. It would give the consumer the option of having a diesel engine without the expense of the fullsize Duramax/Allison option. There are a lot of people who would like to have a diesel but can't justify the added expense of that $8K option right off the bat. So therefore the 4.5L would give a more affordable option.

I think I'll believe it when I see it.:rolleyes: I don't have much hope that this motor will ever see production....

with the amount of money invested into it I think it will, it holds a lot more water than fords motor which was already made in europe so they arent loosing much.

They won't scrap the concept or the motor, they have to offer something everybody can be happy with. However they should make a motor like the 6.6, that can do the same things and have the same strength but in a smaller package that can get 30 mpg.

What I'm saying is that is with GM in the shape it is in, I don't see them releasing it anytime soon, if ever.

GM has staked their whole existence on the VOLT and I don't see them releasing anything new until that hits the market and is a success. (Who knows if GM will survive long enough to even release the VOLT?):noidea:

Personally, I've never been a fan of any of the Big 3's 1/2 ton diesel plans.
The general public will not pay the premium for a diesel engine with the spread in fuel prices of $.60 to a $1.00 more than gas and the increase in mileage is minimal. So where is the benefit of the diesel? Remember, this is the 1/2 ton market and not the 3/4 ton and up market that GM is targeting with the 4.5L engine.

IMO, if any of the domestic automakers were serious about really transforming the 1/2 ton market by introducing a diesel, why not 190- 200hp and 375-400lb./ft. of torque or somewhere around that? That used to be plenty enough in a 3/4 ton just 10 or 12 years ago...

This is just my $.02 and maybe I'm all wrong....:noidea:

The power is close to what the LB7's had. I think it could be a decent base engine if the $ is right. I think they would do well to have a 1500 HD w/the Semi-Float rear and the 4.5.

I wonder how a 6.6 would do w/the reverse flow heads.

I just think it needs to be the 1/2 series only. It's a perfect motor for the 1500HD series.

Keep the 6.6 in the 3/4 and 1 Ton series.

bring back the 1500HD
Did they ever really get rid of it? I thought they just changed the name to 2500. That makes it a lot simpler to get parts. I used to have a 1995 light duty (6bolt wheels) 2500 and they parts places always looked it up wrong. I eventually just started telling them it was a 1500 to get the right parts.

I think that it might be a good option as a replacement for the 6.0L for the base model trucks. It would give the consumer the option of having a diesel engine without the expense of the fullsize Duramax/Allison option. There are a lot of people who would like to have a diesel but can't justify the added expense of that $8K option right off the bat. So therefore the 4.5L would give a more affordable option.

How would it be any cheaper than the bigger motor...there really can't be much of a difference in price...they are both V8's so same amount of pistons ect.

I also voted for it to stay in the 1/2 tons.

My other issue with 4.5 in the 2500HD series is buying one, just think when looking used/new your going to wonder if it's got the baby Dmax or the big daddy.

Stick to the 1500 series..

Yeah, imagine finding one that has everything you want only to find out it has the little motor. :doh:

How would it be any cheaper than the bigger motor...there really can't be much of a difference in price...they are both V8's so same amount of pistons ect.

I also voted for it to stay in the 1/2 tons.

Production costs, materials, etc.

i think it would be better in the 1/2 ton and suv models. if your buying hd truck it's probably for hauling, so i think you would want the bigger engine.

Back