• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is the new 4.5 Duramax a good option for the HD Series?

Is the new 4.5 Duramax a good option for the HD Series?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO-Stick to the 1/2 Ton Frame (1500, Tahoe, etc)

• Maybe-Discuss

• Don't Care

• Total voters
Is that all? Was the 8.1L gass quite a bit more that the 6.0? I thought an 8.1 with an Allison was about half the option price of a Duramax.

because it costs less to produce than the 6.6 does. So instead of the 8k premium for the 6.6, you could pay 3-4k for the 4.5L.

:rolleyes: How does it cost less? Because the parts are a little smaller maybe. Still probably the same amount of parts. I really don't think it'll be a whole lot cheaper than the 6.6 but it doesn't really matter...all just speculation anyways.

I assume the 4.5L will be cheaper, it is designed to maximize efficiency in the production of it thus making it cheaper to produce per unit, however you know they will have the cost of engineering it and retooling a factory added into the sticker.

I know the allison option as stated on my sticker wasnt over $2,000. Kinda surprised me too. I think the Dmax was 5 thousand something. I know it wasnt 6,000 and I know it wasnt less than 5,000

from what i have read and understood, the 4.5 will be in the 1/2ton, and a new 6.9 dmax will be coming out!

GM Media released a statement last week placing the 4.5L project on indefinate hold.

Link and press release are below

Cheers
Cindy

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...38&docid=52890

GM Statement Regarding the Duramax 4.5L V-8 Diesel

Given the current economic climate, GM has reviewed and updated its U.S. product portfolio and has decided to place on indefinite hold its previously announced plan to add a Duramax 4.5L V-8 diesel engine in 2010 to its Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra light-duty trucks.

Chevrolet and GMC will continue to offer a heavy duty Duramax 6.6L V-8 diesel, which is class-leading in both horsepower and torque. Light-duty truck customers can also choose from several fuel-efficient gasoline engines with GM’s Active Fuel Management mated to a six-speed transmission or a new 2-Mode hybrid that provides up to 40 percent improved city fuel mileage and 25 percent improvement in overall fuel efficiency. In fact, no other full-size pickup has better fuel economy.

GM remains optimistic that the Duramax 4.5L V-8 diesel may be a viable option in its future portfolio.

I think they should put the 4.5 in a beefed up Colorado. Kinda like a miniHD.

Or slam it in a Colbolt!

It would be a good motor for the 1/2 ton, tahoe, etc. but not the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks...

-Nemo

Back