• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40 wII turbo

Yes, seems like his kit is complete with out the headache. Hope he has the kit when i am ready. I just discovered that my truck only has 3.42 gears in it and is the culprit of why she struggles so much to pull an 8000lb travel trailer. Just ordered 4.11 gears and will be installing this week, hopefully.

Let me see if I used the search button correctly...

HX40II is the 'far eastern' version of a Super HX40 holset. Right? And a SHX40 is a normal 40 with a specific turbine wheel/housing. Yes? I'm asking because I'm the kind of guy that would rather buy a Holset than an ebay piece if I can make it happen. Can't always find/afford it, but I try.

Secondly, I hear dodge guys talking about being careful with the 40 so as to not break the shaft with a quick 'off throttle' while under heavy boost. Surge or something makes it snap I guess. Can anyone speak to this? Is there a better option? A phat shaft or something?

from what I've read we shouldn't have to worry to much about shafts breaking as we don't run that much boost

That's kind of what I thought, but I thought I'd ask before I spent a bunch of money and then broke it!

I have a Holset HX35 Hybrid with a Banks Quick Turbo housing, it performs as good as the CKO40 and its a True Holset, I travel alot and the piece of mind is worth a Grand+ to me, I carry a CKO as a spare in the 5th wheel, I have not heard of any CKOs failing, to date I have sold 71 Downpipes, most to CKO owners

How does this compare number wise? Is the 35 impeller smaller than a 40? And is the Banks housing smaller than OEM? (just my initial thoughts) I thought the general belief was that the 35 was a little small for the 6.5. Some say 'no better than a GM8'. I know some time ago there was a lot of talk about a 35/40 hybrid. Maybe it's all about what you are doing with it. I don't tow heavy, or often, and I'd pay extra to get a genuine Holset as well. I'm just trying to decide where to start this project. Heath is supposed to have a new turbo coming out soon, but where's the fun in that!

I would like to hear from the people that went from the GM8 to the HX40II. What differences they saw, more low end or high end power? Less heat? I have the 4" diamond eye exhaust, I noticed a huge difference when I swapped out the old exhaust.

.... I noticed a huge difference when I swapped out the old exhaust.

Me too! The exhaust made half the difference! OK, maybe it was 60/40 tune to exhaust, but I was actually dissappointed after I put the tune in because the exhaust was so awesome! Best bang for the buck by far. If you're still running the OEM pipe, PM Leroy RIGHT NOW!:D

I don't think Bill's turbo is out of line price-wise for a USA made piece, but it's not the kind of bargin we need for these old rigs. I understand that the project started with an HX40 more than a year ago, but I have no idea where it went after that.

I am one that built a "hybrid" as some call it... true Holset, my comp blade is a HX40 - 6 blade "Pro" ( not the 7 blade super) 60/86, 49 trim with a pro style compressor cover..... my turbine blade is a HX35 - 10 blade 60/70, 84 trim.... and I am currently using a 14 cm turbine hsg....

I have built 3 turbo's and tested them over the last 8 months, this is so far the best for power, spool up, lower egt's.... for me anyway... all were HX40 base with different hot & cold side changes.... and I do have a intercooler and it really helps.. I can hit & hold 30psi when ever it's needed, but I rarely need that much towing grossing 20,000 lbs.....

Be aware there are some that call them "super or pro" , there are a few Holset part#'s that make them different and some folks aren't really sure what they have, the right part#'s are out there to be sure you get what is the real thing...

If you watch the auction sites you can get a good start to a great turbo if you take your time and do some research....

Where do you go for the different housings/wheels? New from Holset or auction winnings? Maybe a turbo shop has used ones?

I am one that built a "hybrid" as some call it... true Holset, my comp blade is a HX40 - 6 blade "Pro" ( not the 7 blade super) 60/86, 49 trim with a pro style compressor cover..... my turbine blade is a HX35 - 10 blade 60/70, 84 trim.... and I am currently using a 14 cm turbine hsg....

I have built 3 turbo's and tested them over the last 8 months, this is so far the best for power, spool up, lower egt's.... for me anyway... all were HX40 base with different hot & cold side changes.... and I do have a intercooler and it really helps.. I can hit & hold 30psi when ever it's needed, but I rarely need that much towing grossing 20,000 lbs.....

Be aware there are some that call them "super or pro" , there are a few Holset part#'s that make them different and some folks aren't really sure what they have, the right part#'s are out there to be sure you get what is the real thing...

If you watch the auction sites you can get a good start to a great turbo if you take your time and do some research....

And these turbo's WILL " bark" if you boost them and get off the fuel quick like shifting quickly... I haven't broken a shaft yet, but I have seen it....

Once I had all the right part#'s, I watched flea bay, dodge forums, dms tuners forums etc.... for blades I go to BAE, they balance the blades and send them to ya..... the hsg's, are a lot harder to find, a new 14 turbing hsg from Holset is 500-600$ by it self, They don't make the same comp hsg I have anymore, new anyway, mine is a older pro hsg, the part# is not made now..

I would like to hear from the people that went from the GM8 to the HX40II. What differences they saw, more low end or high end power? Less heat? I have the 4" diamond eye exhaust, I noticed a huge difference when I swapped out the old exhaust.

I went from a GM8 to the HX40II and its night and day difference. Cruising EGT is 500 now compared to 600. It also takes much much longer to cross over 1000* now, where as with the GM8 I could hit 1000* just by acclerating to hwy speed. It spools a little later than the GM but not really an issue. By 1800 rpm or so it starts to light. I did upgrade to 4" exhaust at the same time. The GM turbo had a 3" exhaust attached to it. Low end grunt is much the same, but top end it just keeps going and going, no more 'wall' to hit when pulling. Not intercooled and boosting hard my IATs can hit 250-275*, with the GM I could easily go over 300* with little effort. Overall one of the best upgrades Ive done to the truck.

I partly insinuate his prices, partly the economy. A lot of it was to state the simply fact that a lot of people purchase HX40II's and ATT's and have had great luck with both turbos for not a lot of money. The ATT kit without a tune or anything costs less than the $1,500 Heath asks for a GM-8. Why pay that when it is cheaper to swap to a better turbocharger.

That does sound plenty high for an OEM unit. I was told $1395 for the new one when it becomes avaliable later this month.

Back