• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX35 Install Any Tips?

was that WOT to 140mph?

With that setup the intercooler wont help much around town unless you have the fans on. Either need to moving 40+mph or have fans on for it to get enough air for there to be effective heat transfer, and so it will also pick up the radiant heat of the radiator too unless fans are on. So your earlier posts make sense why there was such a large IAT difference with fans off and on.

No my intercooler is no where near my rad.

Attachments

• intercooler 005.jpg
    intercooler 005.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 17
im a tard i was thinking you took out AC condenser to put in IC

but its all kind of relative if youre sitting with no fan on whereas fan on water pump would always be spinning and pulling air even at idle. witha 200F radiator and engine bay temps high from little to no air movement all parts around will warm up and IATs.

Yeah i really wanted to move the intercooler to the inside but there just isent enough room. So its gonna stay there for now. I don't go 4x4in so i don't half to worry about wrecking it that way. And even with the crank fan in there no air was pulled up from the bottem anyways caues of the shroud so it really needed a fan on the back side to cool down. I dident check the IAT temps with the crank fan on so i can't say if there is a big difference with constant air moving through the rad to help lower IAT's.

COOL!! i was just lookin at my intake manifold in the shop the other day and wondering if that would work!!!! as for the ata intercooler tubing i think it will work better that way!! cool!! THANKS FOR THE PICS!! big help!!

Pete

ya was lookin at one of those to but why re invent the wheel! drilling and tapping and what not! i mean if i was really motivated i would just grab a fist full of alum and TIG somthin up!!

so i think for now ill just turn it around! its nice and EZ!!! at least for now!! i might get one of those latter on down the road tho when the hot rod motor gos in!!

Pete

Well it worked great from the day i put it in till about a week ago, Im guessing i blew a head gasket from the excessive amounts of boost i ran though the engine. (21-24 psi) I knew it was just a matter of time before somthing went considering the engine has 330,000+ km. At least this way i can still salvage the engine and give me more of a reason to finnish my new one. Is my new one getting the HX? damn rights it is. I have been just so damn busy with work latley i havent even had time to think. My days off go by like nothing. Tanman_2006 if your not gonna put yours on PM me lol i will find a nice home for it:)

Well it worked great from the day i put it in till about a week ago, Im guessing i blew a head gasket from the excessive amounts of boost i ran though the engine. (21-24 psi) I knew it was just a matter of time before somthing went considering the engine has 330,000+ km. At least this way i can still salvage the engine and give me more of a reason to finnish my new one. Is my new one getting the HX? damn rights it is. I have been just so damn busy with work latley i havent even had time to think. My days off go by like nothing. Tanman_2006 if your not gonna put yours on PM me lol i will find a nice home for it:)

HA! Yeah right! It's just a matter of time! Just have to get exhaust! Everything else is coming together! Did you use a TM of sorts or did you rig up the vacuum system to work?

page 2 Photo 3 shows my waste gate actuator I used the spring from my old turbo master and the original rod that treads into the turbo that the vacume pump was hooked up to. I chopped it down a bit and did some fabin as you can see so i can thread it in or out to adjust the tension on the spring.

ya was lookin at one of those to but why re invent the wheel! drilling and tapping and what not! i mean if i was really motivated i would just grab a fist full of alum and TIG somthin up!!

so i think for now ill just turn it around! its nice and EZ!!! at least for now!! i might get one of those latter on down the road tho when the hot rod motor gos in!!

Pete

the peninsular intake doesn't get in the way of your fuel filter. $60 bucks to not have to pull the upper intake every time you need to change a fuel filter is why i use one.

Cant believe its taken me this long to read this thread. For some reason i keep forgetting there is a 6.5 performance section. I picked up a WH1C (A predecessor to the HX-35, just held together with a band clamp instead of bolts), and a 1997 Dodge Ram Cummins intercooler. I just got done reading Turbine Docs thread on my lunch break about not needing one, my truck does tow sometimes, and when it does its a load. My A/C does not work and im prolly going to get rid of it all in order to install the intercooler infront of the radiator. I currently have a Kennedy high output fan clutch and D-max fan blade, plus i re-calibrated the clutch for even more cooling (i still kept reaching over 200 degrees F with the fan and clutch) I am slowly in the process of gathering parts to do this swap next spring. I also have 1 HO older Taurus fan, and an extra motor for it! So id only need one more. Do you think these two electronic fans will pull enough as to keep me cool with the plow on? Im worried that the I/C will be so tight infront of the radiator i might have to push it back a touch? Also on the 4'' D/P, i would love to do that on my truck, but i have ZERO welding skills, non-the-less a welder. How much difference you think that makes over the 3''? I cant wait to do this, id also have to fab up the wastegate with a spring.

Cant believe its taken me this long to read this thread. For some reason i keep forgetting there is a 6.5 performance section. I picked up a WH1C (A predecessor to the HX-35, just held together with a band clamp instead of bolts), and a 1997 Dodge Ram Cummins intercooler. I just got done reading Turbine Docs thread on my lunch break about not needing one, my truck does tow sometimes, and when it does its a load. My A/C does not work and im prolly going to get rid of it all in order to install the intercooler infront of the radiator. I currently have a Kennedy high output fan clutch and D-max fan blade, plus i re-calibrated the clutch for even more cooling (i still kept reaching over 200 degrees F with the fan and clutch) I am slowly in the process of gathering parts to do this swap next spring. I also have 1 HO older Taurus fan, and an extra motor for it! So id only need one more. Do you think these two electronic fans will pull enough as to keep me cool with the plow on? Im worried that the I/C will be so tight infront of the radiator i might have to push it back a touch? Also on the 4'' D/P, i would love to do that on my truck, but i have ZERO welding skills, non-the-less a welder. How much difference you think that makes over the 3''? I cant wait to do this, id also have to fab up the wastegate with a spring.

I can tell you right now that you will want to do dual alternators with the 2 fans. I never did finnish wiring mine right up i ran both on the low setting and when they kicked in there was alot of draw on the single alternator hence the reason i went to duals. ( never had an over heating issue) even in the summer. I have the same set up on my duramax and with both running on high i cooked an alternator in a year and a half. As for the question on will the 2 fans cool it enough with a plow? I would think so but make sure the radiator is nice and clean. Now the difference on the 3-4 inch for the down pipe i can really comment on since i went to a whole new turbo with my 4 inch DP. Never did have a 3 inch on the hx... If your gonna do somthing like i got i might be able to build you a down pipe since i have it mounted and know what parts are needed to do it. PM me if interested....

Yeah, on that alternator thing, i actually have a gasser alternator on my truck right now, so im guessing its barely 100 amp rating. Dual-alts is a pretty wild set-up. Im not sure i will be able to do that without spending a lot of money on bracketry. On the drivers side of my engine i have a Fisher plow pump that is belt driven, and the brackets that hold it on are designed to go into the current brackets that are there. I will have to look into this dual alt. set-up. If i could i would rather stay with my fan and clutch only because its a lot simpler, plus currently i rund 180 degrees and below. (not efficient, but i know im safe on cooling). My radiator is actually blown right now, so i will be getting a new one soon. I really think that 4'' dp would make some difference. PM sent.

With a plow on IMO you don't need much airflow, but you need SOME. Even a small amount of fan should pull enough air through the radiator to cool down the coolant. The problem is with ZERO fan the air may even possibly go Backwards I've heard. Keep in mind the air is really cold too. When I run hot with plow 1/2 second after my fan engages my temps drop right down. Sorry to add non turbo point to this thread, but thought it may help.

Oh yeah, buy a nice set of jackstands. :)

With a plow on IMO you don't need much airflow, but you need SOME. Even a small amount of fan should pull enough air through the radiator to cool down the coolant. The problem is with ZERO fan the air may even possibly go Backwards I've heard. Keep in mind the air is really cold too. When I run hot with plow 1/2 second after my fan engages my temps drop right down. Sorry to add non turbo point to this thread, but thought it may help.

Oh yeah, buy a nice set of jackstands. :)
LOL, yeah, we have some now thats for sure. The hills here are what kill me, and everywhere i go i hit one. But any other time im fine temp wise.

Back