• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help with injection pump issues

Scott_2255

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to resolve a problem with my injection pump on my 6.5. The engine is brand new (rebuilt) and so is the injection pump. I cannot get the truck to start easily. It has lots of white and grey smoke have to crank it a lot. I am getting the injection pump timing error P0216. I have a tech II and can read the actual timing, desired timing, and offset. The offset is -.70, the desired timing is 15.8 Deg and the actual timing is always 3.5 deg. (See attached pics)

I thought it was a bad stepper motor, checked wiring from PCM to stepper with stepper connected and it was within tolerance. Decided to buy a new stepper anyway as the PCM was sending a signal yet the timing would never change.. I installed the new stepper and nothing changed. I shut off the engine and connected the old stepper up to the harness and re-started the truck. With the Tech II I commanded a Set Time command and the stepper fully extended, when I turned the Set time back to off the stepper fully retracted.

This means to me that the stepper and PCM are ok and functioning. My only other guess is I have the base timing way off, meaning that I have the engine and fuel pump and crank physical timing off by a LOT. Does this seem like the issue? I am hesitant to re time by removing the injection pump, and rotating the crank as I think I could make it worse. I also attached a pic of the engine prior to installing the water pump. Any ideas?

Des Timing Actual.jpgDes Timing Set.jpgDes Timing Set.jpgIMG_20220326_161820566_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• TDC offset.jpg
    TDC offset.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to the forum. Yes I'm with JMMNet, the IP can be junk from the get go. there are no more new parts made for these DS4 pumps. and there are dealers who you should avoid at all cost with these pumps. I am hearing more and more often now that getting a good reman DS4 is like the old days when replacing a GM rebuilt carb. you end up exchanging them 2+ times till you get a good one.

I am sure others will chime in soon with better knowledge and experience.

It is possible that the pump is installed so that the adjustment range of the stepper motor is not enough. Try turning the pump towards the passenger or driver. and observe how the actual angle changes, achieve that the actual angle becomes equal to the desired.

Thanks for the replies, the pump was purchased for SS Diesel.

I will try turning the IP towards the passenger again but when I have its even worse than at center. Thanks for the documentation, I did have the document on the DTC0p216 and this is how I verified the wiring from ECM to stepper. The document on the optical sensor/stepper does help.

Feeling like contacting seller now that I've seen the document. Seems everything now days is junk!

To make an early injection, you need to turn in the direction of the driver, so that later - in the direction of the passenger.
Thanks, I do not understand if I am needing to rotate towards passenger more or driver side. I am thinking more towards the driver side? With the desired so high what could cause that? Most of the docs I've read typically mention 8 deg not the values I'm reading.
Welcome to the forum. Yes I'm with JMMNet, the IP can be junk from the get go. there are no more new parts made for these DS4 pumps. and there are dealers who you should avoid at all cost with these pumps. I am hearing more and more often now that getting a good reman DS4 is like the old days when replacing a GM rebuilt carb. you end up exchanging them 2+ times till you get a good one.

I am sure others will chime in soon with better knowledge and experience.
Probably calling SS Diesel tomorrow.... Not impressed, reading their warranty its BS. I've been out of town for work, its been several weeks since I installed it and batts went dead as they were near replacement time, so a month or more has passed. Kinda difficult to prove its installed within 30 days.. Probably calling local inj pump shop to re-build it if SS Diesel denies warranty. Very frustrating to have a re-built engine and its not usable. I sent a warranty claim in via their website time will tell and I will let you guys know what I find.

Last edited:
Wish you came here first. You would be just one more in a long, long line of us screwed by ss diesel.

One day someone is gonna go shot them thieves and the news will say it was just another robbery. Until then they will just keep robbing from unsuspecting people.
I bought something from him once. That didn't go bad. It was an AC Delco part I was having trouble finding for some reason. Overpriced. But the only game in town at the moment.
He and others, pissed me off when I was trying to order a stainless exhaust and they kept emphatically telling me aluminized was fine. - I guess aluminized is fine if you want to replace it after it falls off. Like my truck.

I think it is necessary to carry out learn after every moving the pump.

View attachment 77080View attachment 77081
Exactly. Do the relearn function and then the adjustments. This should help get you going in the right direction.

NOTE: you only need to move the pump a fraction of an inch to see results. Some would call it an [anatomical] hair's width.
It is possible you have a poorly rebuilt pump supplied by SS Diesel. Who did the work should be on the data plate and will tell us loads.

For entertaining reading, you can refer to my thread on redoing the fuel system. After the 3rd or 4th pump it turns out the pumps were probably good (1st and 2nd pumps tried on other trucks without issue) and there's internal issues with the motor. https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/help-with-injection-pump-issues.50629/ IP 'schmit' show starts after post #9.

Exactly. Do the relearn function and then the adjustments. This should help get you going in the right direction.

NOTE: you only need to move the pump a fraction of an inch to see results. Some would call it an [anatomical] hair's width.
It is possible you have a poorly rebuilt pump supplied by SS Diesel. Who did the work should be on the data plate and will tell us loads.

For entertaining reading, you can refer to my thread on redoing the fuel system. After the 3rd or 4th pump it turns out the pumps were probably good (1st and 2nd pumps tried on other trucks without issue) and there's internal issues with the motor. https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/help-with-injection-pump-issues.50629/ IP 'schmit' show starts after post #9.
Still waiting for SS Diesel to respond. I did get an initial automated reply and its been several days since that with nothing. I sent an email this evening asking for a response. Not feeling too positive about it. I've re-adjusted and re-set time and reset TDC offset commands several times with the same results.. At this point its not looking good, if I don't hear from SS Diesel by the end of the week I suspect I wont. Then I have to pay a Stanadyne shop in SLC UT additional cash to fix what should have been "tested" and "rebuilt" by SSD diesel per their doc on their page for injection pumps. They also got my old one as they charge for a core charge and that has been over a month since they recieved it and I've heard nothing on that too. Lesson learned pay a authorized shop to repair it for you

Last edited:
Back