• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Harmonic Balancer

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
Im having a little bit of a dilema. i have had some bad luck with balancers lately, the one that was on the truck when i bought it seperated about 2 years ago so i replaced it with a dorman unit from napa i believe. i put that one on after i rebuilt the motor and it to seperated as well and a week later i snaped the crank.

im not sure if i should go with another dorman unit or if i should get a delco. a fluid dampner is out of the question right now cant afford it.

rock auto is carrys ac/delco balancers but they take are a non stock item and take extra time to get and are about twice the price of a dorman, there are a couple other brands that i have seen as well. what kinds have you guys used.

After 2 balancers and a snapped crank??.....I'd take a loan out to have peace of mind, Fluidampner are about what, 3 and change?.....And if not, OEM Delco at the least.....You sure the crank, didn't compromise the balancers?

I'd be scared snotless about another bad balancer or broken crank!

i am and i dont know which caused what to break. no real way to know. i would really like the FD but i just bought a house. maybe just maybe i can spring for it

One thing to consider, is what's actually failing. I snapped my crank from a balancer that came loose. IIRC Missy has done a write up on balancer replacement.

In my case, I replaced the balancer. Either the bolt not tight enough or I might have forgot / was stingy with the loctite. Sheared the key and put the crank out of balance.

A Fuildampner installed wrong will FAIL as badly as a cheap knock off part.

Get the dealer item... Part is critical so short of getting the best of the best, get the top of the line of the standard ones. If the dealer part has Dorman on it, RUN! Dealer would be a nice warranty if it failed and you get a new 6.5 out of it...

i just ordered a Fluidampner. i got it for 414.95 free shipping that is the best i could find. i called FD and talked with a sales rep and got some information. he said that you cant balance with the FD on beacouse the machine doenst turn it fast enough to be affective. i explaind my situation to him and he said that it is ok to take off the old balancer and put on the FD so i am not worried about having things balanced.

when i did the rebuild originally i weighted each piston/rings, rod, cap/bearing, nuts and they where within .0X grams. and the motor was running really smoth untill the crank went.

Good for you....bad for the wallet.....But remember, you get what you pay for!

Who'd you order it from?.....and can anyone put it on...or only you because of the fresh rebuild?

he told me that it is made to be a direct replacement and you could buy one and put it on in you driveway. i orderd it from FarmBoys Diesel Performance out of NC (i think)

Back