• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Harmonic Balancer

i dont really know where did you read that? just here?.

im still unsure what casued the problems and maybe i just got a bad dormin balancer. but i have been wanting a FD just could never justify the cost but finally i just bit the bullet

Dorman HB working fine on '95. Despite 1.2 billion Chna men, Chinese rubber bery good. They even own a portion of GM. No avoiding China man from here on, they own us.

So why all the "need to balance it with the old balancer," first?

I think it might be a matter of terminolgy. Usually when you balance an engine it is done during the assy phase of the build. and since the FD is well fluid it can't be used to balance the engine as stated before because of low rpms used. When you bolt on a new balancer your not balancing it your just changing the balancer with a diff style which happens to be fluid filled and is supposed to dampen harmonics better.

I think it might be a matter of terminolgy. Usually when you balance an engine it is done during the assy phase of the build. and since the FD is well fluid it can't be used to balance the engine as stated before because of low rpms used. When you bolt on a new balancer your not balancing it your just changing the balancer with a diff style which happens to be fluid filled and is supposed to dampen harmonics better.

thats the way that i understood it. glad you could explain it better

So why all the "need to balance it with the old balancer," first?

fluiddampr site FAQ's said:
Why can't Fluidampr or Streetdampr be spun on a balance machine?

Balancing a crankshaft with the Fluidampr or Streetdampr is not recommended. The Fluidampr (or its damper ring) and the Streetdampr contain an inertia ring that can rotate inside. This inertia ring is balanced to very close tolerance specifications at the factory but may not be to perfect "zero" balance. When the damper is spun on a balance machine, this inertia ring may rotate inside the damper and the operator may be chasing this small imbalance while attempting to balance the crankshaft.

When the damper is installed and run on a combustion engine, the shear forces on the silicone fluid inside the damper from the torsional moments of the engine crankshaft, centers the inertia ring on its bearings. A balance machine does not generate torsional shear forces and the inertia ring may not be completely centered in its bearing clearance gaps.( IT WILL BE CENTERED AND IN BALANCE WHILE RUNNING ON AN ENGINE )

:)

I just wish they'd come out with a street damper for the 6.5 instead of a SFI rated fluid damper. I mean really, who needs a damper rated to 12,600 rpm on a 6.5............:willynilly:

So the FD goes right on....no "pre-balancing" with another balancer.....Now if your trying to balance a crankshaft the FD is not a good choice?

Boy, it's a good thing I won't be balancing any crankshafts...................................................EVER!

.....Now if your trying to balance a crankshaft the FD is not a good choice?

Only for the original assy balance

If you are installing it on a running engine you wont have a problem because it is already balanced. If you get an engine rebuilt buy a dorman get the crank balanced and return it lol. The point of the FD is that it balances and reduces vibes that an OEM can't.

Back