• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hard Cold Start

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So here we go again. When I start my truck cold it acts like the glow plugs aren't working. I just replaced all my glow plugs with bosch duraterms. I checked the old ones with a continuity meter and they checked good. I took and jumpered an old one directly to the battery and it glowed a nice brite cherry red and burned off all the old soot. I checked my glow controller and it clicks real hard so much so you could feel it thru the rest of the engine without touching it. It has power coming out of it at least with a voltmeter and I have power to glows on both sides. I recently changed puters and put in a gl4 from heath and not long after that it got way worse. I assumed that the longer glow time had fried my glows. Is it possible my controller/relay is bad even though it seems to check out ok? Anything else I ought to look for?

AK,you sure you got fuel at the IP return line first thing in the morning.?I got a clear hose there,should not leak down overnight,just a air bubble in the top.

Haven't done the clear fuel line yet. I have been checking out the glow system. A couple of pics of how hot the glows are getting it's one of my old ones. Looks hot enough to me what do you guys think? I think I'll check out the return fuel line next.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 24
If you have power at the glows , the controller is good. If you were having the problem, changed all the glows and still won't start and have power at all glows it may be something else. when it finally starts is there alot of smoke or no ? I see you have some seriuos block heaters. Try plugging the truck in and see if that makes a difference. If not could be weak IP losing head pressure although that is usually more evident with bad hot starting. How about LP test pressure / A dead LP could do it.

If you have power at the glows , the controller is good. If you were having the problem, changed all the glows and still won't start and have power at all glows it may be something else. when it finally starts is there alot of smoke or no ? I see you have some seriuos block heaters. Try plugging the truck in and see if that makes a difference. If not could be weak IP losing head pressure although that is usually more evident with bad hot starting. How about LP test pressure / A dead LP could do it.

Yes there is alot of white smoke. And no I haven't tried plugging it in yet. I bought a new controller my thinking was maybe the contacts were starting to fry and not letting them get full power.

Lots of white vapors indicates cracked heads ( losing coolant), cold glows (low volts\amps due to bad connections), or 2 much advance - check the ECT sender in the t-stat x-over manifold...................

Since youre in Alaska, is it cold there right now? White smoke is normal in the cold for first couple minutes until the block is all warm.

ECT sensor is possibility, if you unplug it will get max Glo and cold advance. Could be that it is too far advanced though and when its cold the cold advance is messing with it. Had you dont an IP install without setting timing or TDCO?

If unplugging ECT doesnt help, try jumpering the harness with a 300 ohm resistor instead of plugging the sensor in.

Correct, but a healthy glow plug will achieve full glow in 5 seconds.

Leo

So you think it should get hot in 5 secs not 10? If so what would you look for? I'm going to replace the controller/relay tonight. Also it does start better with the new duraterms.

Since youre in Alaska, is it cold there right now? White smoke is normal in the cold for first couple minutes until the block is all warm.

ECT sensor is possibility, if you unplug it will get max Glo and cold advance. Could be that it is too far advanced though and when its cold the cold advance is messing with it. Had you dont an IP install without setting timing or TDCO?

If unplugging ECT doesnt help, try jumpering the harness with a 300 ohm resistor instead of plugging the sensor in.

Temps in the morning are 50s.

50* temps will smoke white if you pull out before its fully warmed up, but shouldnt smoke white for more than a single good take off from a stop getting up to 35 or 40 MPH.

Back