• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

H/O Waterpump VS. Stock

DieselSlug

Reaction score
Hello all, i am beginning to purchase parts for my engine swap. I am looking into a water pump at this time. Should i go stock, like Napa, or high output, like ssdiesel or kennedy?? I think the difference in GPM is like 85-130. I DO plow with this truck and as of last winter it was getting warm ( like around 210+) going up the large hills around here. IM looking for a way to keep it cooler. How would the H/O pump perform better? ANy suggestions are greatly appreciated.!!!!

I'm pretty sure if you get one for a 97-98 and later with the dual T Stats from any parts store it would be the 130 pump.

Leo

I guess im trying to stay away from the dual t-stats.... I hear they are a pain.. DO you really need the duals?? Will the newer pumps fit on my block, and connect to my hoses? I thought they had a different bolt pattern for the fan???, and i have the conversion so i wan to keep my Duramax 21'' fan, it has the early enguage clutch.

Any parts store pump spec'd for a 1997 should fit the bill nicely.

Should be no issues with a single-stat setup.

Water pump in '97+ uses a 4.50" trim impeller, previous pumps use a 4.25" trim (hence 85/130 flowrates)

Fan pattern was same as old pattern in 97, -should be bolt for bolt.

No issues with fitment to the block or bracketry, -should be a slam dunk. :thumbsup:

Thx guys. I will price one out from Napa today. We will see, ss diesel has one for 99.99

Last edited:
OK, i called and a reman is 49.99 (16.70 core) and a new one is 98.00 WHich one should i go with??

Get the HO pump, you'll like it. I'm on the fence about the dual T-stats, I dont know if there better or not. With stock fuel levels, an AC/Delco stat and a clean radiator she'll stay alot cooler under load.

Heath sells the Humvee pump. That is the one I have. As far as single vs dual stat I have one of each. No difference. The both overheat towing. The only thing you need to watch is what fan you have. Heath's dmax fan uses the big stud on the waterpump which is like 97+. Your 94 should have originally had the 4 smaller bolts for the fan and Kennedys fan uses the 4 bolts.

Waterpump, thermostat housing article

You might check out the latest issue of MaxxTorque. It has an article by Bill Heath specifically on 6.5 cooling upgrades: interesting details on how different setups flow. Both overall flow rate, & how equally (or not) they flow to each head.

You can read it on the MaxxTorque website.

Check out penninsular diesel. They have new take offs for a very good price.

Whether you go dual-stat, -or decide to stay with single, -the HV 4.5" trim pump is definitely what you are after.

I love my duals, -but that's just me.

I'm famous for not going with the grain, -dual stats it is. :thumbsup:

Never a problem, -thing never goes above 185, -even whippin' it with a 6,000 lb trailer pulling a mountain pass.

Radiator is CLEAN!!!!

A clean radiator is MORE important than an HO pump, a duramax fan, dual t-stats, etc.

A clean radiator should be the very first thing on a 6.5'ers cooling system maintenance/upgrade "program".

I dont know if you all remember the overheating issues i had last winter. I plow with a fisher minute mount, but starting last year i have been overheating going up steep grades. So i cleaned the rad. and flushed EVERYTHING. I made sure of it. And bought a new gm dealer ac delco stat, i know im going to get the h/o pump for sure now, thnx for the advice. Im still debating on the dual t stat.... I really want this thing to have AWESOME cooling system...... I better read that maxx torque article next.... I will read on my lunch break today.... IM going to call napa and have them order it..... As for the t stats i am undecided, mainly it cost more money...... WIll the dual t stat housing line up with my coolant hoses? The only place i see i could buy them without the whole frekin kit is peninsular diesel...

From the picture, it looks like it needs a different hose.

The one in ours, goes from the front of alt.
The dual, goes from behind of where the alt suppose to be but become the place for ac compressor.

Yeah, i dont want to piece it together hoping it works, i want to know it will go together well....hopefully.

I dont know if you all remember the overheating issues i had last winter. I plow with a fisher minute mount, but starting last year i have been overheating going up steep grades. So i cleaned the rad. and flushed EVERYTHING. I made sure of it. And bought a new gm dealer ac delco stat, i know im going to get the h/o pump for sure now, thnx for the advice. Im still debating on the dual t stat.... I really want this thing to have AWESOME cooling system...... I better read that maxx torque article next.... I will read on my lunch break today.... IM going to call napa and have them order it..... As for the t stats i am undecided, mainly it cost more money...... WIll the dual t stat housing line up with my coolant hoses? The only place i see i could buy them without the whole frekin kit is peninsular diesel...

I mentioned the article because it included some information I hadn't seen before - specifically his comments on the flow rates they saw with different setups & unequal flow to each side of the block.

Mounting the dual thermostat housing required a bit of grinding for clearance on the right rear side of the bracket that mounts the serp belt tensioner. Also requires the newer upper radiator hose the exits the housing towards the driver, then curves back towards the rad around/outside the alternator.

Cleaning the rad is something that costs mostly time. I've cleaned lots of ag equip rads that run in conditions conducive to plugging up the air passages - but was still impressed with just how much debris was caught in my 157k rad.

WaterWetter is a good idea. They have a more concentrated bottle intended for bigger volume cooling systems that can save a bit of $ over the regular WaterWetter that reqs more than one bottle - can search the catalog sites to find it.

Back