• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Got roughly 1500 bucks to spend on prep for long towing trip

Except I'll be looking at around a 15 grand loss in total.

Not quite as simple as it seems....

Just pulling your leg, your biggest problem is you have too much time to worry about what could go wrong. Most likely you will have no problems if you watch your gauges.

i just ordered a fluidampner from Farmboys Diesel performance for 414.95 free shiping but it is ups ground. i would think twice about the dorman dampners iv had 2 seperate now.

as far as the exhaust goes why dont you have it sent to one of us US guys and then have them ship it how ever works for canada

I ship all my parts to Ship Happens in Sumas Wa...Costs $5.00 for them to receive it then you can walk across the border and pick it up.
Works good if you live in the Lower Mainland.
If you think 6.5 parts and spendy in Canada, try buying Porsche parts up here....ouch.

8K dollar 4x4 CCSB d-max zf6? http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/2097839963.html

how would it work if a forum member was hired to tow it? would you still get fuel reimbursed? or do they require proof that you did it yourself?

I wouldnt worry too bad, we have driven dads 96 for a long time with tons of blowby, and the only reason we are not using it now is wore out injectors (misses at idle, quick blip will smooth it out) and it pisses out of the rear main and pan.

It seems you take care of your stuff well, so I think a good solid inspection and service will take you a long ways. Your guages will allow you to monitor with precision and see any temp increases coming on. Personally, I would just upgrade the exhaust and put a fluidampr on, judging by the luck chevycowboy has had with the newer dormans. take your foot out of it on hills, and IMHO you will be fine.

heck, if I drove dads bone stock 92 hauling 23K combination weight 1K miles and held 70 mph on a 90 degree summer day with a flat, low wind drag load,(disassembled offset disc and a 3 section sweeep machine (alfalfa crowner, whatever you want to call it) you should be able to tow your combination weight.

best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Crap.

WarpSpeed no longer ships to Canada, can't get a treasureValleyDiesel kit unless I ship UPS.

Anyone else have any options for a 4 inch kit?

BD diesel over in vancouver offers a 3 inch kit for 500 bucks, but I might as well use my 3 inch pipe and muff I have from my old 89 350 if that's the case....

I don't know if this info will be any help for you. I got my Diamond Eye exhaust from TV Diesel. It was shipped to me from Athena, Oregon. Athena is a little blip in the road on Hwy 11 between Pendleton, OR (on Interstate 84) and Walla Walla, WA. I'm 6 hours away from Athena but maybe there is somebody else on here that is close enough they could pick up your system at will call and ship to you.

Don

I ship all my parts to Ship Happens in Sumas Wa...Costs $5.00 for them to receive it then you can walk across the border and pick it up.
Works good if you live in the Lower Mainland.
If you think 6.5 parts and spendy in Canada, try buying Porsche parts up here....ouch.

That would be great except I'm stuck on the damn island. 100 Bucks each way to get on and off plus at least a 100 bucks in fuel just to get there. :mad:

I'm looking at around 250 bucks for TVdiesel or SSdiesel to ship ups....

I don't know if this info will be any help for you. I got my Diamond Eye exhaust from TV Diesel. It was shipped to me from Athena, Oregon. Athena is a little blip in the road on Hwy 11 between Pendleton, OR (on Interstate 84) and Walla Walla, WA. I'm 6 hours away from Athena but maybe there is somebody else on here that is close enough they could pick up your system at will call and ship to you.

Don

See`above, not sure if it would be any cheaper.

Also, it seems USPS won't accept exhaust, too big.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to "bend over a take it" when the time comes.

Guess the question is: 900 for Walts Stainless system or 500 for aluminized pipe.......

:rolleyes5:

just bought a devils own 3 bar stage 2 injection kit NIB for 230 bucks.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/3-bar-stage-2-367.html

Retails new for 360

Now I can make use of my 3 bar map sensor for more than just reading boost:

DSC03844.jpg

Kinda what I had planned all along....:)

You know what?

I'm tird of trying to chase down a new exhaust.

I'm going to order a 3" down pipe and use the 3" system I have hanging in the garage.

The system I have has a Magnaflow 3" in/out high flow converter (keeping it all mniiiice and legal, see?), a 3" in/out cherry bomb elite (really is 3", not necked down inside like most are) and 3" pipe.

The pipe isn't "mandrel bent" but it's not "crinkle bent either".

It from my 89 eclb, so same length as my 98. Here's a clippy of it on my 89 350:

[video=youtube;FMiMdIGL7Q0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMiMdIGL7Q0[/video]

At worst, I'll have to get a small piece made up to go from the down pipe to the converter.

All done for around 200 bucks (price of downpipe and shipping).

I'll give the aluminized pipe a nice coat of black header paint like I did for the 2.5 inch crossover pipe.

I'll have barely cracked $500 bucks on my $1500 total.

Got's lots o' money left over for my fluidampr now!

:)

I take it that the 6.5 is paid off, and there's no way you could float payments on an 04-ish Duramax?

I take it that the 6.5 is paid off, and there's no way you could float payments on an 04-ish Duramax?

98 was paid for the day I bought it.

Don't want to, and probably shouldn't if I could, take out another car loan.

Besides, my 98 is "rust free" (essentially, little bit on lower door skins and that's it).

It will eventually get either a P400 6.5 or an LB7.

I just need the current 599 block to hold out long enough to make it possible....both in time and $$$.

Last edited:
No can do!

98 was paid for the day I bought it.

Don't want to, and probably shouldn't if I could, take out another car loan.

Besides, my 98 is "rust free" (essentially). It will eventually get either a P400 6.5 or an LB7.

I just need the current 599 block to hold out long enough to make it possible....both in time and $$$.

AMEN to that. I have not had a car payment since 1990...I would love to have a new durmax if I could swing it without payments. Ya look at things a little different when ya have to cut that amount loose all at once. No payments for me :nonod:

I've been hoarding parts for my fuel delivery system for a while. Figured I better get started and make use of it before I start sucking up diesel from various places all the way across the continent.

I found a local place today that sells the push lok fittings and adapters I needed to finish the fuel system.

Cheap too!

$1.58 a foot for the 1/2" 300 psi push lok hose.

I bought two straight swivels, two Racor adapters and a swivel to 1/4" pipe adapter for 6 bucks!

So now I've got all the parts I need lined up and ready to go:

DSC04056.jpg

DSC04059.jpg

Like I've always said:

"If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right"

All I need now is a bit of decent weather.....:rolleyes5:

Im new to this forum but not 6.5 Trucks, sounds like you have a good idea as to what you might need, one thing I would do if you havnt already is pull the cover off the rear diff and let the old Grease drain out, spray it out good with brake clean, new gasket fresh Syn 75/90 and take a good look at that ring gear while you have the cover off

Im new to this forum but not 6.5 Trucks, sounds like you have a good idea as to what you might need, one thing I would do if you havnt already is pull the cover off the rear diff and let the old Grease drain out, spray it out good with brake clean, new gasket fresh Syn 75/90 and take a good look at that ring gear while you have the cover off

Yup, all the fluids and filters get changed before I leave.

Engine, trans, transfer case, front rear diff, coolant.

Fuel will take care of changing itself.

:rolleyes5:

Last edited:
I'm not sure if exhaust is where you want to cut corners. The additional pressure of the 3" system, PLUS the cat will no doubt = higher EGT.

If to run the 3" system, at least lose the cat.

X2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Matt's right.

Your truck will thank you with lower egts. I run 3 in. straight pipe/ no cat/muffler and it isn't enough when towing steep grades. 4 in. D/E in the spring before camping season starts is a must for me. Don't be cheap where it really counts. Your truck will thank you, and your towing heavier than I am. So I would say it's a must, especially if 1500 is burning a hole in your pocket. That and the WMI is your best money spent besides a tune, which you can't fully utilize without the above mentioned improvements anyway.

JUST MY 2 CENTS Have a safe trip.

Back