• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gasser mods???

GU3ELECTRIC

Electrical Genius
Reaction score
So I'm just wondering what some of you have done to your gassers to get the best mileage and performance.

My wifey drives an 06' 2wd Tahoe with the 5.3. I just put on an Airaid intake but haven't really noticed any better mpg. It sounds a lot cooler but I don't notice a huge difference in performance.

So my question is this: What mods have you tried and which ones work the best for gassers? Specifically the newer gassers with the 4.8 or 5.3.

I was thinking maybe a Hypertech programmer or some other kind of programmer. I want to do the exhaust but am not sure which one to go with.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.:cornut:

Westers or PCMforLess can work wonders for a GM V8. DiabloSport Predator can disable the torque management for those too. They can wake up those engines that are so hampered down by electronics.

Free flowing exhaust and a decent intake really wakes up these LSx based motors.

HP tuners for the GM gassers is the best... You will love the truck after getting it programmed....as for other mods, you can always do the exhaust, an intake and so on as well....

Theres a guy in texas named Charlie Wheatly. He does custom tuning for gassers. You might also try some fuel system cleaner also.

On my '03 Avalanche I had: Dynatech Long Tubes w/ Y-Pipe & High Flow Cats, 3" Exhaust with Spintech Pro Shootout Muffler, Volant Intake, MSD Coil Packs & Plug Wires, Electric Fans, Granatelli MAF, Diablo Tuner, Throttle Body Spacer, z06 Cam.

It was pretty fast, got the job done, and sounded wicked as hell with those headers on it.

And Intakes are surprisingly LOUD on these trucks. Even my sealed up Volant I had was loud, and with the lid off it just roared.

I loved just rolling at a steady speed and hitting the pedal just light enough for it to drop down one gear and hearing it rumble away.

AirRaid TB spacer will make it sound like it has a Turbo too ;) If you get good with the pedal you can actually make it "spool"

Im with ya Bro, I just bought the wife an 05 Z71 Tahoe, We love it but it gets 15-16.5 around town, got to get a tune and hopefully 1-2 MPG. Im Thinking PCMforless too. Bryan Herter who tunes there is awesome! He Tuned My Caprice/LT1 and it is night and day difference and it gets great mileage ( 25 MPG free way). Dont Waste your money on a Hypertech or thiose P.O.S. Throttle Body spacers, they only work on TBI inj. engines.

Oh ManWith Bryans tune my car clicks shifts off like a champ, it hauls ass even with weenie 2.93 gears. Getting on the freeway i beat my friends 05 power joke with a Bully dog tuner. Ran the whale up to bout 110 then let off, no more 105 Speed limiter. This car pulls so much harder with Bryans tune, i strongly reccomend him.

Do tell my brother!!

Had a 96 LT1 ..bought it from Airport auto...houston....(retired harris county sherrif car)did all the 'typical' mods to it...tried the spacer and hypertech...but didn't see too much of a difference with those...crisper shift point but other than that...nothing special..if even the shifts were special....anyway...for the money it was a waste...loved the car ran strong...lots of kills..(just ask Unit)LOL:coolgleamA::biggrin5:

Yeah, we both had one. Mine was a 94 and his was a 96. We embarrassed alot of unsuspecting people. I do remember long stints at 130 on I-10 between Houston and Beaumont. There was also a Dodge Dakota RT that attempted to NOT let us pass...He was mistaken at just how fast those 9C1's were...Especially with some bolt'on's...

Ask Andy...He drove my car all the way from Louisiana up to Jersey.

Back