• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Finally gonna build a new shop

bison

Reaction score
Yep,i took the plunge.
I'm fed up with the cold dark hole i called my shop for the last 18 yrs.:agreed:
I have a still good foundation on the place that used to have a hog barn on it but was burned down some 25 yrs ago.There is still a concrete floor in it that slopes down to the center to a foot wide and foot deep gutter.The floor is somewhat cracked but it'll do till i got money to put a new layer on it.(beats the piss out of the dirt floor i have in the old shop

I contracted my brother and his partner to build the walls and put the roof on.
I'll put the electric in and the insulation in and have him sheat the ceiling and the walls.

The shop is gonna be 70' L x 42' W x 15' H with one 20' door and one 16' door.:thumbsup
I'll be in shop heaven :D:D

Thanks to the buffaloes it looks like i don't have to go in the hole for it;). The total building package will come to around 25 grand(The doors are extra)I bought the insulation and OSB sheating last yr allready and that is paid for.
And my Brother don't want to get paid(estimated 30 grand) till next year,it helps both him and me in beating the tax man and avoid financing.

It'll be a month or so before the building starts.I can hardly wait:eek:16:

And ofcourse the whole thing is done as usual without a permit;)

Congrats Simon, you'll love it. Put some windows up high, no shadows that way.

Mine went up just fine without permits as well.;)

hmm I thought you said you didn't want it that close to the house? That's where I would've put it tho. Too bad I'm busy I'd love to help.

Watching your old barn and your posts about it in the winter I am happy for you. And this next winter you are really going to like it.

Congrats on taking the plunge.

hmm I thought you said you didn't want it that close to the house? That's where I would've put it tho. Too bad I'm busy I'd love to help.
Yes it is closer to the house than i like(about 150')Other thing is that the doors are gonna be in the side wall so snow is going to be a issue.
But like Jim says "you can only have 2 outa 3 " :rolleyes5:

Brother said it's gonna be a carpenters nightmare to relocate and rebuild the old shop within the big old barn and it'll cost more than to build new.
Water and Nat gas service is right next to it already and i had planned to put the power line underground this spring,i just have to trench a diff direction(no big deal)

Simon if your interested I can draw you some plans. If so just tell me where you want things.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Les,i haven't figured out yet where i want things.Seems like if i plan something its most likely in the wrong place anyway if past experience is an indicator.:rolleyes5:
I think i let them build the shell first.

The door openings are fixed already by the existing foundation wall,both facing south.The house front is facing east.

I'll do some measuring tomorow.

This shop is gonna be used for pretty much anything you can think of short of sleeping in.General repair,welding,machining,fabricating,parts storage etc + a warm winter home for my feeding tractor and wheel loader.My truck is gonna sleep there as well.

Sounds like it's gonna be a great shop Simon! It's so nice having a nice warm place to work in the winter that's well lit and has some room.

some pics of the foundation and cleanup,there's 7" trees growing trough the floor:hihi:
And a pic of the house from the building site

Attachments

• shop foundation 001.jpg
    shop foundation 001.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 9
  • shop foundation 002.jpg
    shop foundation 002.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 8
  • shop foundation 003.jpg
    shop foundation 003.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 8
  • shop foundation 004.jpg