• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dually to SRW....

I will keep my K3500 an SRW. Sorry.

If I were a high roller, I'd just buy your truck from you...Then you could go and get your SRW.

Last edited:
I was unable to find a SRW F-350 at a reasonable price with low mileage too, so I purchased a Dually with the sole intent of changing it to a SRW truck. I had a plan of action and I first checked with a local Ford mechanic to insure it was ok to run the inside dually wheel safely (on the rear axle of course) without the outside wheel being mounted. He said that Fords HD wheels were better and safer that most aftermarket replacement wheels, and for reasonable loads I would be ok with no problems. Keeping in mind that you do lower your hauling capacity overall by going to a single rear wheel truck. He also said it was no different than you going to a retail wheel dealer and buying new custom rims for your pick-up that were offset. The carrying capacity is still there anyway, if they are quality built rims.

So, I purchased the 2004 F350 6 months ago with 38,000 original miles and started by removing the outer dually wheel from the rear of both sides and re-tightened the lug nuts of the inner wheels for daily use. I then removed the inner liner (mud guard) on each dually fender and I unplugged the 2 small light bulb harnesses from inside each dually fender and I let the harnesses just hang down temporarily as I proceeded with removing the bolts that were holding the dually fenders to the main truck bed. You really need a friend (two would be better) when dropping each fender off the main bed. You need to remove the bottom bolts first holding the dually fender and remove the top bolts last, just before having your buddies grasp and walk backwards to remove the fender completely. This prevents scratching the original bed paint. I found the original bed underneath the dually fender flares to be painted exactly the same color as the rest of the bed and nicely too. I found a few tiny drill bit holes running horizontal along the main bed with removable small plastic wiring clips, and a flat bar above that, that the upper dually fender bolts were attached to. After removing the dually fenders you are instantly down to a SRW truck. Next I pulled the small harnesses that were hanging, through the rubber grommet in the original bed, removed the bulbs from those harnesses, and rolled up the harnesses themselves and packed them inside a small kitchen freezer bag and wrapped that tightly with electrical tape to keep any moisture out. The moisture sealed bundle was then tucked away out or sight up underneath the truck bed and secured with a wire tie. The other fender removal is done using exactly the same procedure.

Now, you are ready to drive your single wheel truck without changing wheels or buying needless extras that so many guys have mentioned on this site. As far as your existing pick-up bed, its easier and cheaper to fill this small holes in the sides of the original truck bed and just get that bed repainted, than going to the expense of replacing that bed. I found my 2004 original bed underneath the dually fenders in great shape, they were not butchered in any major way.

Guys, this is a very do able conversion and it doesn't cost 2 grand or more and extensive axle changes. Well, Ive been driving my SRW pick-up over 5 months now with no problems what so ever. My conversion cost at this point is almost zero dollars.

I'm told that nice chrome RV wheel covers are available, made of actual metal that will fit the original Ford metal dually wheels perfectly for a cost of about $175.00 delivered. If I find this to be true, I will have complete functionality and good looks too at a full conversion cost from Dually to SRW for less than $200.00. Good luck guys, I love mine...

One more important item I need to mention about this conversion. Even though the outer fender of the bed (this is after the dually flares were removed) wasn't shaved off any on my 2004 F-350, my neighbors was. In other words his wheel well was cut more open on the outside exterior of the bed.

This possible cut-away area (depending on your truck model) really doesn't matter in the conversion unless you are building a show machine or street cruiser. My neighbor converted his exactly the same way I did using the original wheels and tires, and his wheel well was open wider at the sides and top than he wanted (cut out from the factory), so he ordered some universal rubber fender flares that bolted to the outside of the bed surface at a cost of approximately 150 dollars for a 50' roll. I believe Pace is the manufacturer of one of these universal kits. Also, another company offers precut and also a 25 foot roll. Just get on your computer to your favorite search engine and type in "F-350, your year truck,and the words Universal Rubber Fender Flares" .

My neighbors universal rubber fender flares look so good that I have decided to add them to my F-350. I have seen these rubber universal flares advertised as wide as 4 inches and I'm still looking for wider ones. After installing the flares, I'm going to mount a set of original 16 inch SRW rims and tires. It appears that I may have 1 1/2 to 2 inches of tire extending past the rubber flares (if the flares are only 4 inches wide), but I don't care. Even though I may have to get the front end re-aligned too. Georgia law doesn't seem to care about such minor things as wide tires. We have so many old 4x4 deer hunting trucks with huge tires running our streets here in central Georgia.

Remember this, the 1999-2004 wheels (16 inch) are the same on the HD Ford trucks, 8 lug, 170 mm bolt pattern, both on the dually and SRW trucks. This may extend past the 2004 model year, but I haven't seen that yet, and I don't pass on info that I don't know about or have seen in official documents to be a fact.

I could just remove the outer wheels and the fenders, but I just don't want to do it that bad. I was hoping to make it look "factory" I am willing to not swap the axle but really want to have the "right" bed sides. Pretty much have given up on a "swap" and figure on staying dually. Just was hoping to do it CHEAP but "right" just like most every one else.

I will keep my K3500 an SRW. Sorry.

If I were a high roller, I'd just buy your truck from you...Then you could go and get your SRW.

Thanks anyhow, but don't want to sell because I have so much "in" the truck and love most everything about it.

I don't want to sound like I'm telling you what to do with your truck but damn, I wouldn't change a thing. It's a good looking rig from seeing your avatar. So what if she has a wide rear....

I don't want to sound like I'm telling you what to do with your truck but damn, I wouldn't change a thing. It's a good looking rig from seeing your avatar. So what if she has a wide rear....

Thanks fella! I like it but I am just the type that is CONSTANTLY thinking of things to change. Looks like I'm gonna leave it alone anyway.

Back