• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dually to SRW....

well the inner wheel of the dually wont hit the frame because it has to have a dually hub brake drum on it. that sticks it out about 6 inches or more. if you tried putting a dually wheel over a srw brake drum it would hit everything. Measuring the axle from inside backing plate to other backing plate doesn't give you everything. You'd need longer axleshafts too. What I'm wondering is where the wheel would end up if I took the duals off my cab & chassis and stuck a 36/12.50/16 on there. I think the OP is looking to do that but with a wide axle. Not sure where a single wheel would sit on a drw axle. Might be out too far for a fleetside bed.

Must be the offset of the wheel. I can only tell of my personal experience. When I did mine I hit the junk yards hard with the tape measure. On the obs the cab/chassis frame is also narrower than p/u's. I don't have a clue what the newer body styles are.
what do you mean by obs? 90s? Yes, they are different, but the oobs is the same.

I'm tempted but I like my RCLBSRW4WD. Are the tires the only reason for the switch?

Not really, but I would have to say that is one of the primary reasons. I just don't need the dually, don't tow or haul much of anything that it would benefit me, I had this deal "fall into my lap" and could not pass it up, it's been nice to have but really don't like to have to buy the extra tires. Really don't want to give up all I have done to the truck. I would just "deal with it" rather than sell it at this point, really not that bad but thought there might be someone out there "wishing" they had a dually and want to do this deal.

well the inner wheel of the dually wont hit the frame because it has to have a dually hub brake drum on it. that sticks it out about 6 inches or more. if you tried putting a dually wheel over a srw brake drum it would hit everything. Measuring the axle from inside backing plate to other backing plate doesn't give you everything. You'd need longer axleshafts too. What I'm wondering is where the wheel would end up if I took the duals off my cab & chassis and stuck a 36/12.50/16 on there. I think the OP is looking to do that but with a wide axle. Not sure where a single wheel would sit on a drw axle. Might be out too far for a fleetside bed.

Actually looking at an axle swap, assuming that the spring perches are in the same location and the gear ratio is the same. Although I believe I could swap out the gears if necessary. In theory one could just swap from the brakes out and leave the axle housing w/diff and then swap the axles, although I am going to look at the possibility of just mounting a single wheel on the back also. Just want to "see" exactly where it would end up and if I could deal w/it. If no one wants to swap, after awhile I have intentions of painting her this summer so guess I'd just have to throw this idea out.

If memory serves the frame widths in the 80's was 34", 90's was 38" and now they are 40". That may not hold true for all but is my experience building decks.

well people .i have a 1995 k-3500 dually 4x4. i changed it to a single. it was easy. the front hubs are just adapters. you have to just unbolt them. and put you singlewheels on. now the rear it is a straight bolt on. however the fenders were hard to remove. and it leaves a very big hole. well im cheap ,so i took a couple 55 gallon drums and cut the top 7 inches and made fender flares. i did this so i can just put the dually stuff back on. it just bolts on. i did this in jan 2011. you can really see the brake drums on the rear from the back. but the track is the same. it drive a whiole lot better. and for some reason it pulls my 14000 lb trailer easier. thanks

well people .i have a 1995 k-3500 dually 4x4. i changed it to a single. it was easy. the front hubs are just adapters. you have to just unbolt them. and put you singlewheels on. now the rear it is a straight bolt on. however the fenders were hard to remove. and it leaves a very big hole. well im cheap ,so i took a couple 55 gallon drums and cut the top 7 inches and made fender flares. i did this so i can just put the dually stuff back on. it just bolts on. i did this in jan 2011. you can really see the brake drums on the rear from the back. but the track is the same. it drive a whiole lot better. and for some reason it pulls my 14000 lb trailer easier. thanks

There ya go, first hand experience!

I would be interested in some pics of your set up. Particularly along the side and the rear wheel wells. kind of want to see how the rear tracks in line with the fronts please.

I would be interested in some pics of your set up. Particularly along the side and the rear wheel wells. kind of want to see how the rear tracks in line with the fronts please.

FYI my '93 is equipped with JB8 rear brakes (13x3.5 same as dually) and the PYO d-max 16" wheel JUST barely fits over them. You can see about 1.5" of the big ol backing plate from the rear. The rear track width IS slightly narrower than the front. The wheels are the same offset. That's just the way they are.

well there to the one that has the 2 wheel drive. i dont know if you can do what i did. as mine is a 4wd. the track on the back is the same as the front. someone with a 93 said it was different. my 16 inch wheels fit just fine. however i have aftermarket wheels. so there you go maybe. it works excellent. any more questions just ask. thanks

Vaicase, what was the reason for the 7 inch flare? Does a single rear wheel stick out that far? I think what the OP was wonering is if a single wheel will stick out or in or where it will end up. Seems to me on that wide rearend it would be out. But 7 inches is a lot, almost maybe should leave the dually fender on.

o.k. im real sorry about what i said. i put 7 inch flares on it. and hooked them on the inner fender well. they only stick out a little less then 3 inches. i beleive the reason the 4wds have flares on the front, is because the front tires track a little wider than the rear. however on a dually the rear end is a little wider than swr rear end . so it is about even. and also i have a little wider offset on my wheels. so if i go to a stock wheel which i have. it will be a lot better. tommorow i will measure the track on the front and rear. and post it to see for sure. thanks for your interest in what im saying. anything else please ask. thanks

well i measured it this morning. the rear from where the wheel goes on is 74.5 and the front is about 71.5 . so i was very wrong. the rear is wider than the front. hell i thought it was the other way around. my wheels are 8 inch. and about 50/50 back spacing. i will check the stock wheels and see if they will even fit on the front. it looks like the caliper will hit. the rear has a lot of space. sorry for that.

FYI my '93........ The rear track width IS slightly narrower than the front. The wheels are the same offset. That's just the way they are.

well i measured it this morning. ....... sorry for that.

No problem. I was just mentioning some things I know about my SRW one ton that is basically box stock like GM offered it back in '93. If needed, I can measure stuff for the OP davediesel.

Overout

i checked to see if the stock srw wheels will fit. well the rear is no problem. well the front hits on the caliper. well i have a lot of gm truck parts i collected over the years. so i went in the shed full of rims. and for some reason the wheels from a late 80,s 3/4 ton wont fit. but the wheels off my old 97 2500 fit. even though they off set is the same. it looks like both wheels are 6.5 inches wide. 2.5 inches front and 4 inches rear offset. the things i find by looking. thanks for your intrest.

Well I appreciate the info guys, but hope to find some one that will want to swap parts and such. Can't seem to find any one close enough to "test" fit reg wheels but not giving up on this yet.

Back