• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DS4 to DB2 Swap questions

Just FYI, I have all the respect for what Bobbie did (I purchased his book when first offered)
but all that extra work and keeping the OEM PCM just to control the glow plugs is not necessary.
Delete the PCM and get a 93 GPR or rig up a switch on the existing 94-up GPR.
Way less wiring and splicing.

@Gladulator If I delete my PCM, how will my 4L80E function? I thought it was required for that.

That TCM is for a 93 and earlier 4L80. I see you have a 4wd.
The 16196390 TCM for 94-up was never used on a 4wd, except the Hummers.
I think the Hummers have a special PROM that accommodates 4wd.
The problem is the ..390 TCM cannot do low range, otherwise it will work with 4wd.
You may want to get an aftermarket TCM.
That VSSB is worth keeping. Your 95 already has one.
The NEW TCM you get is what controls the trans and only the trans.
The original PCM will not control the trans without the DS4 IP hooked up.
The only thing the PCM is controlling with the Bobbie Martin method is the GPR.

Last edited:
@Glagulator thank you for sharing, I didn't know the PCM only controlled the GPR after a DB2 swap. I thought that the PCM was necessary for those wanting to keep cruise control too.

Given that detail, do you know of a more simple way to wire in CC? From what I recall Bobbie Martin's guide has lots of splicing done at the PCM for cruise control, so if there's an easier way to do so please share :)

That TCM is for a 93 and earlier 4L80. I see you have a 4wd.
The 16196390 TCM for 94-up was never used on a 4wd, except the Hummers.
I think the Hummers have a special PROM that accommodates 4wd.
The problem is the ..390 TCM cannot do low range, otherwise it will work with 4wd.
You may want to get an aftermarket TCM.
That VSSB is worth keeping. Your 95 already has one.
The NEW TCM you get is what controls the trans and only the trans.
The original PCM will not control the trans without the DS4 IP hooked up.
The only thing the PCM is controlling with the Bobbie Martin method is the GPR.
Thank you. I'll leave the ECM for someone else but will get the brackets and VSSB.

Back to this again. I have the above mentioned parts from post 20. I am still chasing the throttle cable and pedal. After re-reading this thread it sounds like that is all I would need from a donor truck unless I find an intact Cruise Control module. Is that right?

@SnowDrift this ad says 1998 but in the pictures you can clearly see throttle and cruise cables. In CT so maybe he'd be willing to ship. Not likely the seller would be ok with pulling the pump too but you'll want a core at some point so you can have a pump properly built

Yeah but the db2 is still same basic unit. You can crank the screw in a non turbo db2 and get enough fuel to spool up an hx40. My db2 that I sent to @Rockabillyrat is off a non turbo 6.5. I turned my screw about 1/4 turn and it spun my gm6 easily. But Rockabilly is putting in all the hardened parts and setting it up for 110cc3 because I plan on offsetting greta thorn-in-my-sideburn.

The only thing missing might be the little bolt on throttle cable attachment bracket that is only for cruise control. If those are nla, when I get my pump back Or someone else could make a measured drawing of the bracket for you and others to copy.

Now, he needs to tell you is ANY ol 6.2 ip can or is worth dialing up. But even if not- dude, the 12v parts of it and any nos hmmwv ip means a workable unit for you.

I have no idea what year truck bodies the throttle pedal fits exactly same in. I was into those goofy pedals that looked like a footprint and came with about a 10’ cable on it chopped to length when changing my trucks to db2. iirc a couple hammer smacks on the floor board was needed for a bump, and I just bolted through with fender washers on the outside and some sillycone.

The donor pedal I got off a '93 bolted in just fine to my '95. According to Bobbie Martin's guide any 90s gasser pedal should work too but I have yet to verify that.

Based on the pictures of the linked donor truck I'd say it's a 92 or a 93 that had the ABS unit deleted. Appears to have throttle and cruise. And even if it's a .290 6.2 pump it will still take a larger head and rotor

@SnowDrift here's some more parts that popped up in Ohio. Looks like its a DB2 from a 6.2 but still a good core and injection lines. And throttle bracket, may have cable(s) for it as well

Back