• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DS4 to DB2 Swap questions

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
I figure I should start a new thread rather than keep going on in the other one.

I think I may have located a donor truck for the swap parts. I am referring to the guide Bobbie Martin put together, below. Would it be best to just get a new Engine Speed Sensor and Throttle Position Sensor rather than used salvage from a 20 year old truck?
1691280633027.png

Yes, the TPS should have a spot on the throttle linkage of the IP to mount. iirc it goes on the opposite side of the IP same like on a gasser throttle body. two tiny screws with a rotating slot in the middle for it to mount on. the TPS also should have slotted screw holes to allow for adjustment.

I think the 6.2 donor engine has one on the IP. I will have to look, but I'm down at the coast till Tuesday.

the attachment you posted mentions an ESS from a gasser? I did not know gassers used one like our diesels used. I do know that the 6.2 donor engine I have only has a plug in that location. no sensor. I would like to find out what engine and year gasser I would need to look for for this sensor.

The ess is the oil pump Drive with a sensor on top. A different way to do it is if you have the ds4 engine already- use the crank position sensor reluctor wheel like the ds4 engine has. But instead of the 3 wire cps used with the ds4 system, but the two wire cps used in turbo equipped hmmwvs. I’m too tired at the moment and can’t remember who on here told me about it - then even mentioned the part number and sent me one iirc.

Will , if you are going to use the crank sensor for RPMs , I would think 2 of the teeth on the crank gear would need to be removed . Cam rotates at half engine speed . Makes me wonder on the wave output as well i.e. square , sawtooth ....

Will , if you are going to use the crank sensor for RPMs , I would think 2 of the teeth on the crank gear would need to be removed . Cam rotates at half engine speed . Makes me wonder on the wave output as well i.e. square , sawtooth ....
Nope- thats how mine was done for years. That was my whole hang up for not adding the centermount turbo for years. If you search some of my really old threads here, you’ll see me asking about it. Before I knew of the hmmwv one- I found a 2 wire cps in a junkyard from a Mitsubishi or something pick up, modified it so it only slowly drips oil and ran over 70,000 miles on it.

When mine goes back together this next time, it will be with the hmmwv sensor.

The 12554092 CPS the military used will replace the ESS signal exactly.
It was created to replace the ESS because the ESS would not clear the center mount turbo.
They also made the low profile oil pump drive to get more clearance.
So if I understand correctly, this:
1691365238903.png
Will replace this:
1691365348752.png
Is that right?

The ..390 TCM was used from 1994-up when a 6.5 diesel and 4L80 was used.
That 6.5 was an N/A with mech. IP VIN "Y" L57.
Came in vans, commercial vehicles, school bus conversions, ups, frito lay, etc.
panel trucks. Not pickups, burbs or yukons.
Do not trust any application list you see, most are way wrong.
6.5 diesel Humvee's also came with them.
Just FYI, I have all the respect for what Bobbie did (I purchased his book when first offered)
but all that extra work and keeping the OEM PCM just to control the glow plugs is not necessary.
Delete the PCM and get a 93 GPR or rig up a switch on the existing 94-up GPR.
Way less wiring and splicing.

Back