• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

doing the injectors

chefmike

Not just a truck... a project.
Reaction score
Drivers side done. Fired her up. Sounds great. Now doing the hard side.

Anybody have a dwarf, 2 monkeys and a few smurfs to spare?!

I started from the top without pulling anything. I think I am going to pull the wheel well and turbo tomorrow and try to finish.

The job really isnt hard... just not much space. I think my injectors are OE. 178k now. Should be a good difference. Maybe pull up my 13.9 mpg avg.

I bought the bosch injectors from ebay... dennis. money something. there is a thread. If you cant find it, I can give you a link. They have all tested @2100 pop. great price. $200 ish. I bought them a few months ago. Just now getting to install.

got an install kit from pensecola diesel..

Someone here claims they can install the injectors in 2 hours with both hands tied behind their back and getting a hummer at the same time. Just sayin.

Someone here claims they can install the injectors in 2 hours with both hands tied behind their back and getting a hummer at the same time. Just sayin.

Not his first rodeo either but I understood he was blindfolded too...just sayin'

For the novice with both hands in front and bleeding at the knuckles, by all means remove the fender well and Turbo and while you're in there; do the grounds, check the starter to ensure the bracket is there, go over the glow plug wires and with the down pipe out of the way might as well replace number 8 glow plug while its accessable if it's been a while since the GP's were swapped.

For the novice with both hands in front and bleeding at the knuckles, by all means remove the fender well and Turbo and while you're in there; do the grounds, check the starter to ensure the bracket is there, go over the glow plug wires and with the down pipe out of the way might as well replace number 8 glow plug while its accessable if it's been a while since the GP's were swapped.

x2 - what he said.

i just did my first set ever without removing anything but the tin on top of turbo and tin behind the manifold and the air box lid with the duct.

sure as hell took me more then 2 hours though i can tell ya that much,but it's very doable with patients that i usually lack.

i also did the 3 dead glow plugs that hid back there too.

#8 glow plug was done with ease cause i also did my exhaust at the same time and had the down pipe off.

all in all,it is very doable with out ripping to much apart.

There are those that have posted doing it without removing the wheel well no problems and as referenced above some in record time. However as far as I am concerned removing the wheel well sure is a no brainer and opens access up nicely. I can have my wheel well out in 5 - 10 mins, granted it has been removed before and hence all bolts etc are free and never-seized up but still it's a good chore to make the wheel well easy to get out and as already pointed out gives you a chance to access those peskey grounds etc. Also allows you to check for and deal with any rust starting to form up in the gap around the rim where the well meets the wing a definite rot trap. Whilst your at it check the door pillar side of the front wing I often find mine full of dirt and not able to clear out and drain, another rot trap waiting to happen.

Cheers
Nobby

check the starter to ensure the bracket is there, go over the glow plug wires

What bracket is this? I will have to look.

Luckily, I started this job before Christmas and ran out of time (fixed coolant leak on crossover instead, then flu and no time for injectors). So I have had the wheel well out. I did the glows last year and I think I got all the grounds.

I started doing it with just the shields pulled. I am using an alternate socket, not the real thing. I do not have clearance on the #2, the socket is tight against the oil return on the bottom of the turbo. If I had the actual socket, or if I cut this one down some and carved the top to be able to use a wrench on it, I bet I could do it all from the top.

Not in 2 hours for me. :D

Anybody remember what the socket size is for the downpipe clamp? I need to get a deep socket for that. Well, I need to get a deep socket set. This truck seems to encourage me to buy tools. She loves attention. :)

All in all, the injectors are not that hard. My copper rings all came out, the new ones are snug. The truck fired great after the driver's side. And all the tips on here have been true. rip those lines right off and git er done!

socket for down pipe clamp on mine was 7/16" deep.

taking the fender of will not help you getting the 2 inside injectors changed,the manifold is what makes them a bitch.

the outside 2 are easy to get at anyways.

It was Chrisk1500 that claimed it and I believe him. He had his motor apart so many times he could do it in his sleep. That helps. It can be done without pulling the turbo and wheelwell but a PIA. I just pull them and do some house cleaning at the same time. The shield can be R&R without pulling the Turbo but it's a PIA.

Easily done in 2 hours or less....have all the tools you need on the bench beside you and away you go....

Use the proper socket - don't be cheap and use an axle socket - bend up a few different wrenches to get different angles at the injector hard lines - be a man and just pull the return line hoses off (clamps and all in one shot) - don't fiddle-dick around with the little clamps - pull the turbo heat shields...

Done...

Also - use petroleum jelly or grease to hold the new copper washers on the new injectors so you don't piss away half the day searching for washers that dropped into the abyss under the truck....ask me how I know...

Also - use petroleum jelly or grease to hold the new copper washers on the new injectors so you don't piss away half the day searching for washers that dropped into the abyss under the truck....ask me how I know...

This is a very good tip. I always wonder how to hold that copper washer. Thanks Chrisk1500!!!

Chris is a good man ...

I believe that Chris can do injectors in under 2 hrs - knowing what you're doing, having the tools (and air tools) right there, practice makes perfect and all that...

Me? It took about 6 hrs to change injectors and glows the first and only time I did it.

In all honesty though, a large portion of that time was spent swearing, crying, and putting on band-aids.

If I have to do it again, I'm buying some beer and I'm gonna spend that time driving to Chris' house. :D

Better than those IMO are the universal socket sets with the flex joint built into the socket, a little more $$$ but you don't lose clearance you sometimes can on a normal universal joint, also one less thing to keep up with socket only can come off the extension vs. coming off extension & universal.

I have the regular universals, but flex sockets as well & some of those have been customized as well for clearance, along with some specialty wrenches "home brew" as Chris references.

I've never done it in 2 hrs but I'm an "old fart" now & not spry as I used to be, I did a set this past summer in my hotel parking lot I think it took me 4 hrs or less, I opted to pull pass side inner fender and check turbo, do glow & gnd maintenance on pass side while I was in truck maint. mode

I probaly will be more like the Doc.

It took me 2 days of thinking for just the injector on the passenger side. A lot of people said that they can do it without removing the tire and fender well. I still could not figure out without removing them.

When I removed them, it was very fast less than 30 minutes including r&r the tire and fender well.

So, it is not a race. I will attempt to do the injector soon. Hopefully, this year.
Probably will take me a couple of days, but I am better now with the wrenches.

I'm waiting for Doc to come back to NY.......Just plain old bad timing and life got in the way of us hooking up the last time he was here......Although I might be waiting a long time:mad2:

Back