• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dirt Every Day

not until now.
remember seeing the bootlegger truck somewhere but can't remember.
those portals are the ticket for ground clearance.
nice video. i thought he was gonna flip it that one time.
wonder how long it will last before it's stripped again.
glacier colors reminded me of the one i was one in Canada.

Last edited:
I like that show, dont watch it to often. Like the square body, love that power wagon. Any rig that is built to work more than look good usually ends up looking the best.

Not that I'd ever be able to afford it, but can the portals be installed on an IFS set-up?

Considering the portals add additional gearing, it might not be a bad investment compared to a lift and gear change?

Not that I'd ever be able to afford it, but can the portals be installed on an IFS set-up?

Considering the portals add additional gearing, it might not be a bad investment compared to a lift and gear change?

No clue to your question, but i love my portals! Hmmwv/Hummer it's called a geared hub. So nice...

isn't the Hummer ifs/irs with portal boxes on the ends? ive always thought of them as independent and a solid axle with portals is like axletech 4000s. I would loooooove a set of axletechs!!

RealtruckwoDiff.jpg

191argdi9xl0yjpg.jpg

p29.jpg

yea that's ifs/irs with portals. ive never actually looked under a hummer. I think you get more overall clearance with a solid axle and portals like on the video.

Yes they use them, no- the hummer system creates way more clearance. 16" of clearance with stock tires. The straight axle can have more articulation if you really modify a truck or jeep, but you have to get to race buggy levels to beat the side slope capability of a hummer.

Then if you start comparing modifing a hummer with things like Rod Hall racing suspension upgrades or larger tires and lift kits it is a whole new world.

Another great thing they did on hummers is the differential- you can use lockers if you prefer them, but the older ones come stock with a torsen differential. So a little pressure on the brake pedal and you have all 4 locked in. 5.42:1 ratio not bad either. Also ctis through the geared hub system on hummers is a really nice thing.

I grew up in jeeps and pickups, when most guys would drag for pinks- we did "flip for pinks" you lead, I follow. Then I lead you follow unil somebody rolls. Winner tows home the rolled rig- $ bets were ok too. So dont think i dont love my trucks and jeeps. But once you do some descent off roading in a hummer/hmmwv- there is nothing that gets near it.

Last edited:
when the guys in the vid finally make it up to AK it's pretty close to where I live

Yeah- they went crazy far up until they hit a friggin glacier! Not You, You have to go beyond that! Your nuts man!!

So take the freeway till it turns into a dirt road. Once you cross over a GLACIER your almost there... take a left at the friggin polar bear and...

Jk, man. I really want to go, hopefully in the next couple years.

I subscribe to the Motor Trend on Demand and binged the whole series lol. It's good stuff. I also really like Roadkill and all the stupid shit they do, lol.

I really like that show also, but really enjoyed it when they had shows where it was more closely related to the average poor mechanic.

that's me too. these shows are cool but the amount of money they spend is insane. I don't have sponsors giving me $700 a piece shocks and $4000 worth of tires to build a new rig a couple times a year.

Yeah, thats what gets old on them to me. "today we are building the everyman truck.." and I say "cool"

$25,000 in parts later... it's like a let down. After a while i just quit watching them. I struggle to come up with $500 for improvements,

I wish the could do budget builds instead of buying high dollar bolt on kits. I get it and want to see things like those add on portals. I like things like this engine was a junkyard take out- thats way more real world. That one show "trucks" iirc, "today we are starting out with a crate supercharged 572, all aluminum, blah blah blah--CLICK goes the remote.

Yeah, thats what gets old on them to me. "today we are building the everyman truck.." and I say "cool"

$25,000 in parts later... it's like a let down. After a while i just quit watching them. I struggle to come up with $500 for improvements,

I wish the could do budget builds instead of buying high dollar bolt on kits. I get it and want to see things like those add on portals. I like things like this engine was a junkyard take out- thats way more real world. That one show "trucks" iirc, "today we are starting out with a crate supercharged 572, all aluminum, blah blah blah--CLICK goes the remote.

That's how it started. The first few were my favorites. Honestly, I don't think I'd ever consider purchasing a motorhome so that I could the motor and transmission out to stick in a dodge charger, until I saw this show... I don't know why I wouldn't though, since I've considered all the other transplant possibilities.

No clue to your question, but i love my portals! Hmmwv/Hummer it's called a geared hub. So nice...

I just wonder if they could be installed on Chevy trucks and suburbans instead of doing a lift... Not that I'll ever do it, because it looks VERY expensive!

Back