• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cold Air Intake: My version

mfgguru

Makin' it better!
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Felt ambitious this week, and decided to build myself a "true" cold air intake, not just an elbow with a filter on it. I teach introductory sheet metal, so I have access to some tools that make life little easier on a project like this. I had to flatten the top of the fender well to get the battery to sit down a bit lower, but seems to be a good fit, need to build a proper battery mount yet. Chicago TDP did something like this back on the "place" some time ago, but I couldn't find pictures from that thread, so I decided to do my own version. Let me know what you think, and if I could make some improvements.

Attachments

• IMGP0538.jpg
    IMGP0538.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMGP0547.jpg
    IMGP0547.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMGP0544.jpg
    IMGP0544.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMGP0543.jpg
    IMGP0543.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 123
  • IMGP0542.jpg
    IMGP0542.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMGP0540.jpg
    IMGP0540.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 122
  • IMGP0539.jpg
    IMGP0539.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 117
quite a job,looks OK.
you still seem to have room for underhood air to get in on the top front.Altough it looks you designed it like that.

I'm planning to box in the area between the bat and rad support from the fender to the rad,top to bottom ,and open up the fender inlet slot some more.

Good job, looks nice! What kind of improvements does it help out with? :thumbsup:

looks good! I've been wanting to do that for some time now I just havent quite had the time. I also spentquite a bit of time redoing the battery interface so thats also stopping me from doing an intake behind the light.

quite a job,looks OK.
you still seem to have room for underhood air to get in on the top front.Altough it looks you designed it like that.

I'm planning to box in the area between the bat and rad support from the fender to the rad,top to bottom ,and open up the fender inlet slot some more.

While driving, it will scoop air that flows between the hood and grill, not too worried about hot air up front while the truck is moving.

Nice work! If you really want to move more air in that thing, replace the turn signal lamp with expanded metal and paint it yellow so that the light bulb still works, just doesn't have a reflector. That will let it get lots more cold air.

Nice looking setup, I'd put a different filter on it, but I'm not one of those only paper 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000001 micron filter guys.

Nice work! If you really want to move more air in that thing, replace the turn signal lamp with expanded metal and paint it yellow so that the light bulb still works, just doesn't have a reflector. That will let it get lots more cold air.

x2 I was gonna set mine up like that. I still may someday with the cummins.

It would take balls, but would be cool if that sealed around the hood, where an actual scoop was. Could throw another one on the other side with some direction louvers inside it to direct fresh/cold air right on top of the engine.

Nice very Nice all i do was this !

Mike

photos:

Attachments

• IMG00572.jpg
    IMG00572.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG00571.jpg
    IMG00571.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG00570.jpg
    IMG00570.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG00569.jpg
    IMG00569.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG00568.jpg
    IMG00568.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 35
Nope i actually lost 1 oil leak by Ripping the POS off.

I run SAE60 AMSOIL synthetic oil so the unless its a major leak i doubt i'll ever notice it.

The breather is all of $9.99 n always in stock so i'll just change it very other oil change or so n should never have any problems with it :D !

they only cause leaks when you let'em plug up. . .

Mike

nice intake mfgguru, pretty much same thing I want to do, although my plan to start was just moving the battery and having filter right behind the lights. If I were to ever notice an IAT issue, then box it in.

Back