• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Big Rigs. What do you prefer

Our local CAT dealer is supposed to be getting 30 in next month.

I still like W900 KWs.

We bought a 1996 T800B KW for a new feed truck. It was supposed to be set at 435hp but when KW plugged into it, it was at 525hp I guess. And I can say that it feels strong. Its an N14 Plus. Also has a 15spd OD (Direct pattern though), 3.70 Rear ends. Jake, Full Gauge package O/O Spec'd VIT interior. Very nice Truck. The O/O Spec is funny. There are 3 switches to turn the lights on. One for tail, on for head, one for clearance. OTR guys must get bored. It is a day cab truck that has a frame that is the perfect length for our new mixer box.It used to haul propane.

3.70s sound high to some people for a feed truck, but with the 15spd, 1st Gear in Deep Reduction at 2000RPM is only a tenth or so faster than our currect feed truck which has a B ratio Direct 9spd and 4.11s. But in top gear it will do over 90mph.

Our current truck is a 199? Wg64 White/GMC with a 310hp M11e and a 9spd B ratio Direct. 4.11s and thats basically it. It has about 4 switches, and 5 gauges. Bare bones nutless work truck.

I spent 25 years (most days I say wasted) I learned to drive in a B-61 with a 5 & 4. Moved up to a Crackerbox with a 238 (6-71N) and a 10 speed. The 1st truck I bought was a 1980 IHC 4070B with an 8v92 and a 13 speed 3.70 gears. After the 4070 I bought a repo'd K100 with a BCiv 400 cummins, 13 speed and 3.55's (worst truck I ever owned). I had a Hugger Orange 359 with a NTC-475, RTOO-12513, and 3.70's. Finally a Red 379 with a 444, 13 speed and 3.70's. In the early days I pulled a covered wagon. Eventually went to a 3 axle RGN. Sad part is after some severe water and heat damage I have none of the pictures just the memories. So after that semi-long (no pun intended) jaunt in the hammer lane. I would rather have a sister in a cat-house than a brother in a Mack ...... Peterbilt ...........ftw!

Last edited:
Bulldogs all the way!! Especially the Aussie Big Foots!! (Titan on Steroids...).

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308273105.823216.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308273105.823216.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 9
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308273142.935469.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308273142.935469.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 9
More trucks please

Here's a little International Thirteen Letter Shit Spreader coming across the US22/SR93/6th St. bridge in nearby Zanesville, Ohio. A Lonestarrrr..

Hauling Sputnik I think. Some electrical big stuff on a low-boy.

Comin' through comin' through.

Cell phone pics.

May28_0001.jpgMay28_0002.jpg

In my opinion, it's hard to beat an old R-model Mack or Superliner as far as durability and dependability. It seems like you can run them hard, beat them up off-road/hauling heavy, not take care of them maintenance wise, etc and they just keep on going and going. They may smoke, they may leak, they may have a rough ride, but they still fire up and do the job day after day.

As far as "looks" I like W900A's, GMC General's, or Superliner's.

agreed chief. roommate worked ata feedyard that has one. it has been laid over with a full load of manure and they are still using it. new aircleaner and mirror, and your good to go!

I have a hard time arguing with the Mack.

OTR trucks? Mack? Well maybe not so much.

I like the 'ol bulldogs though.

Im currently looking for a 18spd trans, N14 engine, 36-48" Flat top sleeper and a KW 8 bag air rid cut off for my W900A. I Know sounds like one hell of a list of parts why didnt i start with a better truck? Because I got this one for scrap price and put a new oil cooler on it, charged the batteries and it ran for a couple minutes. But it had been sitting for 4 years and i didnt change the fuel. When i drained the tank I got 1/2 water, 1/2 fuel and a ton of algae. Gotta steam the tanks out and flush the lines and filter and then try running it again, one I get a few other things done.

I have decided I am going to chop the top on the cab and sleeper about 4-6". So I will also be looking for another roof skin to use for making the longer roof needed to accomodate the chop. I will also be buying an Extended hood for it as well. Kinda looking to get the cutoff first though so that I can take it in and have the frame stretched and the new cutoff installed. I figured since I was putting a different cutoff under it I might as well stretch it some. Frame rail is cheap, its the labor that isnt. Ill be doing the majority of the stretch work just having a shop do the actual cutting an welding. I trust myself with most eveyrthing, but still dont feel comfortable stretching a truck in my shop. Im thinking someting in the 280s or so. wouldnt go 300 though. If it was just purely going to be a show truck I would but I plan on using it to haul the pulling tractor around. Once I get the frame done then i can start the process of moving the cab back (for the longer hood) mounting the sleeper, making Deck plate, making bumper etc etc.

heres some pics i did of a W900A with a long hood to show the different levels of chop.

stock
w900aexhd2.jpg

4"
w900aexhd4inchchop.jpg

6"
w900aexhd6inchchop.jpg

8"
w900aexhd8inchchop.jpg

16"
w900aexhd16inchchop.jpg

Like I said im probably going in the 4-6" range.

Wow Vinny, when you are done that will be one helluva truck on your hands. I like the 6" chop the most and the 8" chop would be my second choice. The 16" chop looks like it would be a straight show truck. Good luck with it all Vinny and can't wait to see all the pictures I'm sure you will have.

Here is dad's. She has got 45,000 miles on her. Not so big but she's a worker. 1978 Mack U, gold engine, straight 5 speed.

Attachments

• aug 2011 021.jpg
    aug 2011 021.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3
Vinny I wouldn't chop her...

Are the cabs and sleepers Aluminum?

Regardless of metal and difficulty, Chops just don't look good IMO.

If you chop, would you re-rivet or weld?

yes sleepers and cabs are aluminium.

I would more than likely weld it.

This chop im told is one of the easiest as there is only one angle to deal with and thats the A-pillars raking back, everything else is straight a simple.

Its more of a personaly preference for me. While I love the look of a restored traditional truck, I like the look of a low and long custom truck a little more. I plan to have the front on air-bags so it can be dropped as well.

Black and Chrome Pete, I like it. But she shines up nice.

Is that a decal of a Chicago Typewriter on the sleeper? :)

Shoulda snapped a picture today.

Brakebush chicken is on our way up to the milk plant that we drive 4-5 times per week. They run mostly T800s and some T660s. All bright yellow with white accents. Polished perfectly every time you see one. Very nice spec'd out trucks. Reefer trailers are all stainless sides polished wheels etc.

Well today I was hauling some stuff up a different route and met one of their trucks. It was a Daycab W900L with the same polish and pride of all of the others.

Very nice fleet.

Well I think I've got dad on board for retiring the FLD fruitliner from milk hauling to just running our apron trailer when needed. its getting tired and its an FLD.

Looking at W900L's now :D. Really would like an 06 or 07, but dont want to stick too much money into it either. Want something worth the money too. Found a very nice 06 Extended Day Cab W900L with the new Interior for a decent price thats at the top of my list right now. Finding lots of trucks, just gotta know where to look. Truck Paper sucks.

Back