• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Big Rigs. What do you prefer

Hell, TMC entered bankruptcy for a while. This was after I left. Greed, embezzling, more greed and general dumbassery got it to that point. AND... the general fact that flatbeds haul mostly American goods from American manufacturers- and we all know where manufacturing USA is heading.

Sad fact. I don't like it. I know of only one real way to solve it.

Buy American.

Dollars are your votes.

TakeninMedfordOr9-21-03.jpg

I suppose I could post some pics of our rig.

It’s a 2001 Freightliner FLD12064SD. It has a 470hp 12.7L 60 series Detroit (pre-emissions). It also has an eaton 13spd, 4.10(or 4.11 cant remember) rearends with full lockers. Its decent truck with new paint and it was an owner operator truck so it has a fair amount of options but its still a POS. The trans falls out of 3rd every time, the motor is probably tired due to the fact that it has 650,000 miles on it (33,000 on bearings) and its plain and simple a freightshaker. The wet kit on it is a 55gpm twin line with a 120 gallon reservoir.
The red trailer is a 2008 Northern 40’ apron trailer. It has a grain hopper attachment, 1.5’ silage racks and a manure beater attachment for hauling manure on fields. The capacity is outrageous. It holds over 35 tons of corn silage and can hold 1800 bushels of corn. However we do not fill it that full because it would probably break in half and be very illegal. This fall my brother loaded it with just over 1200 bushels as he was inexperienced and I wasn’t there to stop him. Fortuneatly we were close to the elevator and I maxed out the scale at 122,000, boy did that load bring the truck to its knees.
The second pic is our 1996 6500 gallon Brenner milk tank for hauling our milk. The pics after it are the rims before and after polishing. Its obvious the people before us didn’t take care of them.

The last pic is my buddies new race trailer for hauling his snowmobile. It’s a 53’ stacker. For those who don’t know what a stacker is, the ramp in the back is used to lift cars, sleds etc, up to the second level. Its 2 stories the entire way and has living quarters. It was in our shop getting decaled because it wouldn’t fit in his.

85444000a23d.jpg

e172f0754deb.jpg

6fc3409b.jpg

2676bf51.jpg

7ce1bb4a.jpg

Freightliner is a good work truck. The trailer wheels polished up nice. Gotta keep the food trailers prim and proper.

The stacker is ridiculous! All that for a snowmobile? :D

yeah ..... that engine isnt tired. I have seen those 12.7s go more than a million miles. infact the pic I posted of the International on its side had just over a million miles (bought it from Wal-Mart with 800K) with out an overhaul and 5 out of 6 were original injectors..... had blowby issues but it never failed to start and was still getting 7mpg. I put a used 13spd in it because I was going down the road and the transmission blew apart (literally) @ 74 mph on the Indiana Toll road around Southbend.....

your transmission OTH needs an overhaul.

PS ..... the only thing I liked about my Classic was the 14L Detroit...... Freightliner's seats are as bad as the seats in a 2000 Tacoma.

Pete

I'll have to dig out some pics of my 1984 359 127 in hood, Double bunk pete, black and chrome with a 3408 DI Cat with a 2 stick double OD.:thumbsup:

Most of the mechs. ive dealt with have said the 60 series is a 700,000 mile motor. Its a decent motor just doesnt last as long.

But IMO they all suck so i guess it really doesnt matter. This is a daycab though not an OTR truck so nearly 700,000 miles is quite a bit for a daycab.

We know the trans needs work, just havent had time to shut the truck down, its our only tractor all the rest are straight trucks. We are looking into buying a decent pete or KW next summer as a nicer truck and turning the freightshaker into a field bomber which is why we are playing around with the idea of swapping the 13spd for an 18spd. Remans are the same price, just depends on what the price is to rebuild ours to see if its worth buying a reman.

The seats we put in our trucks are Seats Inc. Heritage seats. They're very nice and not too pricey.

Our other trucks are

95 Mack CH613 with a 350hp Mack motor and 10spd eaton. It was a fleet truck in Canada so its pretty basic but it does have carpet for some reason. It has a 22' load line silage/grain box on it. And it came to us with new paint so it looks decent, a set of aluminum rims would really make it look pretty.

97 White/GMC with a 310hp M11e and eaton 9spd. It has a 620-16 Rotomix mixer on it. This truck is tired it only has 280,000 miles on it, but its beat and ready to be traded. Its a complete POS, it will make you respect any other truck you drive that you think is a POS.

90 IH 8200 with a 280hp L10 and eaton 9spd. Its a single axle and has a EZ-Mix mixer on it. its out backup mixer truck.

Well still glad to have ya here :D
Is that your 359?

Nah, its my dads old rig, i hope someday to find another one and restore it to look just like his old one, 1986 Peterbilt 359 Extended hood, 3406B, might even try to incorporate the paint job into a pickup... :D

Just noticed the post about big rigs! After many years I had to give up my CDL, bad truck wreck! Started driving log truck on the Olympic Penn, in Washington State in 1967 after I turned 18 in a 59 butterfly hood KW with a 262 and a 5 and 4. Moved to a 71 Pete with a 335 and 5 and 4. Left that in 83 and went to Van Dyke Heavy Hauling out of Seattle. Van Dyke had trucks with power steering, I never had it before, I was amazed! Didn't have to worry much about the trailer anymore, I had someone driving it for me. We hauled lots of long and very heavy bridge beams and overhead crane girders. On return trips I was usually in the 120K empty with all the attachments. Did a lot of low bed work during that time too with great Aspen trailers. The company had all KW T800's by then with 425 Cats some with 18 speeds and some with the 6 and 4. Most of the trucks were 4 axle rigs with a lift axle and the Aspens had 3 axles jeeps, 3 axle trailers with a 12 foot deck section, and 3 asle boosters. But they had quite a few 2 and 3 axle 45 foot flat beds also and I always felt like I had a light load when it was just 80K. Left there in 98 and went to work doing the gravy job in a Teamsters Union dump truck. And that was a new Mack 4 axle with a 454 Mack and 18 speed pulling a 4 axle pup trailer good for 105K. I should of got into dump trucks years earlier. Then a guy ran a red light doing better than 60 in a 25 and hit me sideways, knocking the front end of the loaded Mack 5 feet sideways and just about ended my breathing career. So pensioned out at 60and no more CDL. After many years and over 4 million miles it was a good time to stop.

wow 635

That's quite the career. Have you ever thought about going through and teaching new drivers? Sounds like your the kinda guy who should actually be doing that with the logging roads and highway and city experience. I'm sure there isn't much you haven't seen.

Back