• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Big Rigs. What do you prefer

Had thought about teaching years ago, was even offered one, but now I just sit back and enjoy the pension money. All in all driving the log truck in the high mountin roads was the best job ever. The pay was terrible but the dangers of that job made it a lot of fun. The big beams were a lot of fun also. I also hauled a lot of big excavators with the low beds if there were no girders to haul. I would pick up massive excavator in Seattle and deliver them to the east coast and head back to Cat and pick up something for the weat coast. 13 axles on the ground all the time. Sometimes a big Grove crane back to the west coast too. Hauled in the Northern Territories in the winter times with big oversize loads also.

I prefer this one...
l_bcf3edfb37e94014ad3377a6fc28572c.jpg

l_81edb8c81e1248199779c9958342fbbe.jpg

l_28875fb71c114fa6b28fac0224899419.jpg

:thumbsup:

|^^^^^^^^^^^^|-|^^^^^^^^^^^\
|........................|-|.......................| '|""";.., ___.
|_..._...______===|-|_..._...______===|= _|__|..., ]
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )-"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )******(@)

|^^^^^^^^^^^^|-|^^^^^^^^^^^\
|........................|-|.......................| '|""";.., ___.
|_..._...______===|-|_..._...______===|= _|__|..., ]
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )-"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )******(@)

^^^^^ Has too much time on his hands

It wasnt me I found it on a site somewheres but had to post it :D

Mean lookin, I like this.. also you aint gotta polish it or warsh it every day :)
412176811_bb9637a699.jpg

I love the 50s-60s needlenose KWs. I would LOOOOOOOVE to resto-mod one. I didn't find any pics of show trucks today, but here are a few working:

kw_needlenose_1957.jpg

kw_needlenose_with_dozer.jpg

kw_needlenose_u76.jpg

kw_shupe_bros_before.jpg

kw_needlenose_end_dump.jpg

I would love one of those with a fairly small sleeper on it, maybe 48" or so, very classic looking. I'm visualizing it having smoothed front fenders with the headlights mounted to the sides of the grille. Somehow...need to figure out if I could stuff a DD 12V-71 in it. :drool5: It would have a tasteful amount of chrome (stainless) on it, LED lighting, steel wheels painted to match truck with stainless trim rings, caps, & lug nuts.

Convoy is a 70's classic...! I haven't seen that in years...

It should be manadtory before applying for a CDL. That site is awesome I have been on it many times. As for me I like the KWs and nothing nicer that a 379 Pete but CAT power for me. I hate Cummins with a passion after the POS in my L8000 and The Detroits from last I remember are riddled with electronics problems unless they have gotten better. It really sucks that Cat will no longer be producing truck engines thanks to the enviro nazis. Of course nothing beats a 1 stack Mack with a window in the back...:rofl:
I took my road test on a 69 White with a butterfly hood 335 Cummins and no power steering.

It should be manadtory before applying for a CDL. That site is awesome I have been on it many times. As for me I like the KWs and nothing nicer that a 379 Pete but CAT power for me. I hate Cummins with a passion after the POS in my L8000 and The Detroits from last I remember are riddled with electronics problems unless they have gotten better. It really sucks that Cat will no longer be producing truck engines thanks to the enviro nazis. Of course nothing beats a 1 stack Mack with a window in the back...:rofl:
I took my road test on a 69 White with a butterfly hood 335 Cummins and no power steering.

the Detroits have gotten tons better........ they are all electronic now anyways and Cummins is still the worst of the lot with Volvo D12 running a close second to the Cummins ISX for the shittiest engine ever award...........

Cat reliability stopped with the 3406e. A single turbo C15 is basically a 3406e with emission controls.

I love the sound of the Screemin Demon (2 stroke Detroit). Found a diesel shop that'll make one of these meet any emission restrictions. Properly tuned these things don't even blow blue when cold. Looking to buy a Peterbilt 359 or a KW A model and putting a 12v-71TT (700hp awta do it) , Eaton fuller 18sp, & 46 rear's. Since I'm piecing this together looking to get a double frame or at least a 3/8 frame to pull the Super B Train bulk hauler.

The Log Truck outfit I drove for had many 12V71's (474hp stock) with 4:56, a 5 speed main box and 4 speed Brownie and a few with the 13 speed. There was one pulling SOB. I prefer the set of sticks myself, a real truck! But the noise of that engine and exhaust just about ruined my hearing. Had to keep it wound up all the time to keep the power band in the right area. If my pickup would of had a 5 speed instead of the 4L80E I would of put a splitter behind it just for the fun of it! My 1980 KW900 with a walk in sleeper had a 425 Cat with a 6 speed main and 4 speed Brownie, again a real truck, ordered from KW that way.

We had an old naturally asperiated 211hp Mack with a 5 speed main, 3 speed brownie, and 2 speed auxillary. Now that was a lot of shifting and was a real pain until you got used to it. It couldn't even pull itself in high gear on a flat road.

How many guys out there can still operate a set of sticks??

Dad was a skinny guy but he had a set of forearms that were huge. Especially the right one from pulling the T-handle on his first Roadranger before they were air assisted.

I drove my uncles 78 Kw925 bed truck with a 5+4 8-71, it has 5" straight pipes, If I build a truck the way I want it it'll have Dyno mat sound deadner everywhere I can put it, and bigger pipes to get rid of some of the high pitched tone. I have heard a couple of 8v-92T's with bigger pipes at full song down the hiway, they didn't have the snap from the exhaust like you get from smaller pipes. The turbo's would muffle the exhaust too a little.

The reasons I would put the Eaton Fuller 18spd. instead of the 5+4's would be, 1. Pullin B-trains in the field or on goat trails , I'd never get the 5+4 out of 1st gear, and during harvest time is of the essence so few real quick floating gear changes with split's are in order. 2. My wife would be driving from time to time, make it easy for her, the happier she is = less headache for me.

Last edited:
Back