• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Battery draw

Parttime

Reaction score
I have a 4 amp battery draw and have traced it to the firewall junction box, when I remove the power wire off the stud it goes away.
When I put the power wire back on stud and then remove the other wires on the 4 studs I still have a 4 amp battery draw.
What am I missing?
Thanks for the help!

Common problems:
Brake light switch stuck "on".

It's not that? Then...

Glove box light on.
Dome lights on from bad switch.
Underhood light.
Aftermarket radio gone bad. Or wiring problem.
Trailer Brake controller.
Horn switch stuck on (relay taking power) and burnt out the horn.
And an oddball I had: Ignition switch trouble including bent rod to the switch leaving it in ACC when it's key is in the off position.
I assume the parking lights and headlights are off.

So start taking the wires off the power junction till you find the trouble wire that has the 4A draw. (After a quick check of the above.)

Welcome to the forum @Parttime

What helps me is when looking for a power draw, I use a test light connected between the battery cable and the battery post. disconnect one of the battery terminals and put your test light in between. it will light up. then disable the dome light and start pulling fuses one by one until the light goes out. that will narrow it down to what circuit it's on. things like an aftermarket radio and an alternator with the regulator stuck on come to mind. if it's the alternator, disconcerting the wires from it including the large one from the battery will make the test light go out.

It's just a process of elimination until you can isolate what is drawing the power.

Thanks for the great advice, I truly appreciate yaw taking time to support me on this task. I have pulled the fuses, and disconnected the alternator. It’s hard to believe that the power junction block would go bad.
I’m out of town rite now, when I get back I will pull the block off the firewall. I will let yaw know what I find. Have a good evening.
Thanks
Jim from Palacios Texas on the Gulf Coast!

Jim, one way you can eliminate the block making sure the block it's self is the problem is take all the leads from the block and run them together using a bolt and nut. connect them one by one and see if and which wire it is if the draw returns. But don't keep it like this, this is only a way to remove the block out of the equation. I am betting one of the leads to the block is the power draw issue.

Once found maybe take a photo and show us which wire it is and where it leads to.

By the way Jim, you aren't related to a Julio Palacios out of San Antonio who works at CMC Steel? I'm near you by a few miles. in Seguin Texas. Glad to see another member join that's from the great state of Texas!!

Back