• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'95 1500 silverdado 4x4 z71 6.5 turbo diesel

If you're on a budget, harbor freight now carries these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98478
I removed one from the box in the store and was surprised at the quality. It appears to be identical to my Faze boost/vac gauge except it has the option of 7 different lighting colors and the markings are much easier to read at a glance.

I paid $40.00 for mine - this is a steal at $14.99 assuming it works good.

Regarding hearing the turbo. My little GM-3 was silent with factory airbox and exhaust even with homemade turbo master and 10 psi of boost. Installed a 3.5 " straight piped, no kitty or muffler to the rear axle and 4" out behind RR wheel. I could hear the whistle from the cab when shifting- around 1800-2000 rpm - would whistle at the top of spool up and at the start of spool down. After I added a cone filter(the type that has dual cones, one inverted in the end of the filter) - now I can here the turbo at around 1,200 rpm all the way up. It's not obnoxious, just a nice turbine sound from under the hood and the same whistle out the tail pipe.

As stated above, you're at the right place for the best 6.5 knowledge base on the net....or anywhere for that matter.

Welcome aboard!

Smitty

Sounds like you're getting ready to drop a bunch of money on a new turbo,
but likely all you need is a mechanical waste gate controller, which can be
bought for around 100.00, or make your own for around 15.00.
Or, you can check out the vac system that's on the truck now, wastegate
moves easily while truck is idling = vac. trouble - probably just 2 bucks worth
of vac hose, won't know til you check vacuum at pump and wastegate.
But, it's your money, stimulate the economy all you want :D

You can get a chip from Engh Motors for $275, not requiring a core charge or exchange, which you could save most of that by going with the aluminized steel exhaust. The ATT will also not require a core charge and exchange, which would save you some money.

I have a chip from a 95 K2500 L65 (F) engine that you could borrow and see if it wakes up your L56 (S) engine. Have you done away with the EGR and gutted the intake to remove that restriction? The L65 chip wouldnt have any EGR operation.

i took off the wole entire intake box and put an air cone on the stock rubber intake tube that the oil intake is attached to right before the turbo... and whats the EGR??? thanks for all this info man i appreciate it alot

k so what im thinking im going to do since its an older truck as all of you know, im goin to try to get the ATT plus the full 4" ALUMINUM exhaust system from ssdieselsupply and see where that puts me... with my knowledge of cars i think that i will be in a happy place considering where i came from with the no turbo at all... thank you very much for everyones input and i definitely want to keep receiving advice and learning from you guys...
i came from an 04 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the Hemi regular cab short bed with cold air intake, gibson sideswept exhaust, gibson high-flow cat, tri-y headers, superchips, throttle body spacer, aftermarket plugs and wires, stage 2 shiftkit, 12 bolt 2500 posi rear-end, mastercraft 31.50"x10.50"x20" C/T.... and last but definitely least favorite least.... construction recession so no job no money as in volunterally surrending my baby :(
but am very happy to have this truck and learn more about engines and different styles of performance

If anything, when you get it installed I'll send you a chip from an 95 K2500 L65 "F" engine so that you can get a higher fuel rate. That also disables any EGR function too, so you dont have to worry about plugging it up, and you can just get rid of the EGR, gut the intake while youre messing with it to install the ATT. Then you can decide whether you want even more :)

Recognizing that the thread has progressed, I'd still point out that if more whistle is a goal a port in the fender makes a big difference particularly at low speeds right at the point the turbo begins to produce boost.

Attached is a photo of my fender.

Attachments

• port.jpg
    port.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 27
Dan that port looks good i was thinking of putting in one of those when i saw a f350 super duty next to me at the light, where did you get that one from?

Back