• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'95 1500 silverdado 4x4 z71 6.5 turbo diesel

had same problem...

i had the same no boost issue when i got my 94 suburban 2500, even after i had a new engine and turbo installed. stock setup is kinda goofy, not being very reliable. easiest solution is to put a mechanical waste gate like the 93 and older 6.5's...Heath diesel sells an adjustable unit that is very easy to install and is just over a 100 bucks. i installed the Heath wastegate on my truck and now all i can hear is boost, all the time- even with the stock airbox. and no more black smoke when i mash the throttle, with much more power over the the whole rpm spectrum...good luck!

anyone got a cure for an oil leak that is only noticable at higher rpm's? i will lose all my oil on a highway trip, and it seems to get all over the top of the drivers side of my 6.5...pooling on the valve cover near intake manifold.. any help would be great!- my truck is also hard starting the 1st time i start my truck even with block warmer on. all glow plugs are good, so is controller as well as the block heater and pwr cord. also has a lot of white smoke when im cranking during this hard start. Help!!!!

since i have owned the truck i have never heard the turbo except for when i had it in drive and had my friend hold the wastegate shut.

Let's not forget at idle if the vacuum pump system is working properly, the wastegate should be closed at. It shouldn't move easily when the truck is running. Sounds like you have a leak or a bad pump. Check this out for a DIY solution.
http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=3932&highlight=turbo+master

Just my 2 pennies.:smile5:

Let's not forget at idle if the vacuum pump system is working properly, the wastegate should be closed at. It shouldn't move easily when the truck is running. Sounds like you have a leak or a bad pump. Check this out for a DIY solution.
http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=3932&highlight=turbo+master

Just my 2 pennies.:smile5:

k thanks for reminding me... the wastegate moves extremely easily and doesnt seem like it should move that easily to me... like i said im new to diesels iom usually a gasser and have been around a couple of turbo cars but never worked on there turbos so i do have some knowledge of machanics but am just a little hesistant to start moving things around figuring stuff out especially on an old diesel truck :dr:

it used to but now the truck still sounds good but it sounds like its being held back and i dnt blame it its a big truck to be running off that low horsepower unturbo'd motor if the turbo is the problem which it must be... but im gonna try to do the trick that mfgguru did to his trucks turbo http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/...t=turbo+master so i guess ill try that and then probably just end up getting a new replacement turbo later on

still want any and all input... what do you guys think of the downpipe and exhaust system on ssdieselsupply.com STAINLESS STEEL 4 inch C/K Exhaust System
do you think its worth the extra 150 for the S/S syetem instead of aluminum??
the muffler is larger in the S/S system and without the cat on the system if the trucks not making much power how will that affect the motor??

I never heard my turbo either, the older GM4 like yours, until i put a cone air filter on it and then wow, what a difference. Maybe you should get a boost guage, that would tell you what its doing.

One of the best mods is a performance EPROM chip, get you a lot more responsiveness and higher end power.

If you can get a cheap GM8 turbo they are better, but if you actually do have a bad turbo a site vendor sell an aftermarket that is better, the A Team Turbo, which gets rid of the wastegate all together so no need to buy the Turbomaster even.

does a GM8 turbo mount on to the truck without any special addapting-jimmy-rigging techniques???
if it doesnt mount up is there a kit for it... thanks

I put a -8 on my '93 which came with a -3, bolt-off and bolt-on, nothing changed. Well i did fab up a turbomaster/boost controller for the -8, $10 and 30min later fabbing the mount i was ready to go. I got my gauges at summittracing, a 3 gauge pillar set. Boost, EGT, and tranny temp. Got a 3 pillar pod, looks nice installed.

Don

thank you for your reply... i actually called up ssdieselsupply and talked with a guy there and said itll bolt up fine and the only difference is ill only get 400 core back instead of 500 since its the older turbo... again thank you very much for your info and repsonse... i found a nice 2 pillar set i am thinking about getting just for boost and tranny temp... thats all im thinking im going to need... might just get the 3 pillar and fill in the 3rd hole later

You know, I would just upgrade to the A Team Turbo, if indeed I determined that the turbo was bad. I'm not sure your turbo is bad. Between the cost of a TurboMaster, and a new GM-8, you are already there.

You would need to chip it. And that would really be the fun part. I was just thinking today about our new friend with the 6.5L Camaro. My Suburban flat moves. Imagine if it weighed 2,000 pounds less. Wow!

I would also go for the A Team Turbo if going for new, from member Slim Shady (terrible name to be doing business maybe :) )

For $700 and no core or exchange.

I would go for the GM-8 if you could get a cheap/used one from one these ATT swaps. maybe only $100-200

The other problem with core returns is paying for the return shipping, which is really expensive for us, whereas if a company would just provide a prepaid thing it would be a quarter to half the shipping expense. Unless you have a business account of your own at Fedex or UPS.

whats this a team turbo everyones talking about? dnt have quite enough money to "have to chip it" after gettin a new turbo and whatnot because ill be gettin a new exhaust as well... again does anybody have feedback on the stainless steel versus the aluminum exhaust system from ssdieselsupply??? does anybody know the specs on power increases??

If I had to replace my turbo I would go with the A-Team Turbo also. Better effiecency turbo. You don't have to chip it but when you do you'll have a lot more turbo available.

You can get a chip from Engh Motors for $275, not requiring a core charge or exchange, which you could save most of that by going with the aluminized steel exhaust. The ATT will also not require a core charge and exchange, which would save you some money.

I have a chip from a 95 K2500 L65 (F) engine that you could borrow and see if it wakes up your L56 (S) engine. Have you done away with the EGR and gutted the intake to remove that restriction? The L65 chip wouldnt have any EGR operation.

whats this a team turbo everyones talking about? dnt have quite enough money to "have to chip it" after gettin a new turbo and whatnot because ill be gettin a new exhaust as well... again does anybody have feedback on the stainless steel versus the aluminum exhaust system from ssdieselsupply??? does anybody know the specs on power increases??

The turbo is flat better than the gm turbo in almost all aspects more closely matched to our motor than the gm 8, Most people have had a mileage increase of 2 to 3 miles to the gallon over all. I think that would help pay the cost back in a reasonable time. I might be biased though:D the turbo is 700.00 complete plus shipping which reasonable through USPS. PM me and I can give you the low down, truly a hands down better turbo than the gm series. :D

Thank you my 6.5 family for looking out for me, and recommending the ATT A-Team turbo. I truly am glad I belong at this site. I am humbled by the friendship here. THANK YOU :thumbsup:

Back