• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'95 1500 silverdado 4x4 z71 6.5 turbo diesel

poloboy852002

Reaction score
since i have owned the truck i have never heard the turbo except for when i had it in drive and had my friend hold the wastegate shut. does this mean i need a whole new turbo assembly or is there a way to fix the wastegate?? there was a couple of occasions when i was driving in about 8-10 inches of snow in 4 wheel drive in the highway in freezing temps when i heard the turbo when i stepped on the throttle and felt the truck move like its never moved before. i am extremely new to the old truck scene and especially the diesel scene so any and all help is greatly appreciated. im also looking for aftermarket bumpers... front or back or both... thanks in advance for any help i receive and am happy to join the forum

thanks

pat

'95 1500 silverado 4x4 z71 6.5 turbo diesel
4 inch exhaust
air bags
tool box
lightweight heavy duty ladder racks
... many other add-ons to come but need help choosing diesel add-ons wisely

Sounds like you have a a stock set up, these trucks aren't known for noisy turbos, unless you have a great loss of power and lots of black smoke, I wouldn't worry about it. BTW, this is the place to come for help choosing your add ons.

Welcome here Pat.

There are a few things to make your turbo more noticable, but it costs a few bucks. I'd start with a TM (cheap) to make sure you are in fact getting boost. I'm thinking exhaust should also be on your list (downpipe included). Pull the "muffler" off the turbo may gain some sound. Read up on all the 6.5 stickies.

I never heard my turbo either, the older GM4 like yours, until i put a cone air filter on it and then wow, what a difference. Maybe you should get a boost guage, that would tell you what its doing.

One of the best mods is a performance EPROM chip, get you a lot more responsiveness and higher end power.

If you can get a cheap GM8 turbo they are better, but if you actually do have a bad turbo a site vendor sell an aftermarket that is better, the A Team Turbo, which gets rid of the wastegate all together so no need to buy the Turbomaster even.

The Iron Bull bumper has yet to make it to production for 6.5, I have a buckstop bumper on mine, Your turbo won't spool much at idle, your buddy holding it closed for you when running down the road :D.

Sounds like at minimum you need a turbo master on it, or ATT, post up what your expectations for the truck are, and we can help you get there, we can make em tow or make em go, my K1500 is 18K# trailer loaded capable, Bill Heath's 6.5 holds world speed record for the 6.5, 153 mph at Bonneville last fall, how deep is your wallet :eek::eek:

Time & money all it takes, welcome to the site

Sounds like you have a a stock set up, these trucks aren't known for noisy turbos, unless you have a great loss of power and lots of black smoke, I wouldn't worry about it. BTW, this is the place to come for help choosing your add ons.

i have an insane loss of power since i bought it 8 months ago. like i said i never heard the turbo and i actually took the air box off and put a cone on it also. i have exhaust from the turbo and it only has the muffler on it with 3.5 in 4 out. my truck used to keep up and beat with my buddies 88 gmc 350 ladder racks toolbox tires exhaust air bags and random rooking stuff in it. but now even without my tool box or alot of weight in it i can barely keep up with him. so there is noticeable loss of power :mad2:

haha turbine doc ya i hadmy friend hanging on with my hood flying up driving down the street it was quite the sight to see lol... no i was doing what most trucks call a brake-stand but in my truck it just just breaks and stands lol... just trying to build up a load on the turbo... like i said it starts to make a sound when he was doing that... but when driving theres absolutely no noise

I would start out with boost guage. I went cheap and usted a $10 0-30 psi guage for a acetylene bottle. But you can go all out for a fancy one with lights :)

P.S. there is also a boost bolt avalible to eliminate the need for tapping into the intake.

acetylene bottle huh? well i was looking at gettin some gauges like the ones that go along the door cross section... but if i make no boost then i wont know if its broken or if the turbo doesnt work lol... well i suppose i should get one then

Oh, so since you have owned it you havent heard it, but you have noticed a loss of power in the recent past. And you get no codes, SES light? Do you know how to check them? Just short the OBD contacts A & B under the dash and put IGN to ON, dont crank. It will flash (SES) the numbers it has stored, 3 times each then next number. so 12 is
flash...flash, flash...........flash...flash, flash............flash...flash, flash..........

There is a pic of my guage in my photo album. My AC doesn't work so I never needed that vent.

Search for "boost bolt", there was a thread about it recently that tells where to buy them, I forgot the name of the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
it means you have to pay the price plus the core cost and the core gets refunded when you send the piece back.

Another vendor for PCM EPROMs for 94-95 is Engh Motors, which I have and love it, costs less and no core to return, so you have a spare.

Rather than buying a boost bolt I used 1/4 inch pipe fittings and tapped the intake. Smaller fittings might make for a neater job. (I had to use 1/4 in. cause that was all I could find at the local hardware store)

haha nice spot for it. that bumpers nice. you have someone weld that or is that something you can purchase from a company??

Made it myself....please don't look to closely at those welds ):h arc welder + non expert = :eek:

Back