• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 chevy silverado 4l80e interchangeably any others years ???

welcome aboard, I believe TheFermanator had posted on another thread here recently about the differences with the 94 model 4l80e. there are some differences internally that only a good rebuild shop will know.

what kind of issue are you having with your trans? maybe we can help you isolate and fix it without having to replace the tranny!

94 is a 1 year only. That said, if you swap your shift shaft, a 95-96 will directly swap in. 95-96 is the same trans, but they use a longer shift shaft meant for a shift cable connection instead of the mechanical linkage connection and have a nsbu switch to operate the cluster gear display, reverse lights, and starter nuetral safety switch. Do not swap in a 91-93, even if the plug is the same, they have internal differences.

Can I use a transmission from a 2003 in my 94 k2500?

Welcome to the forum @Paul Bunyan as Ferm stated above some of the differences, there are internal differences on the valve body and in the internal harness. it might work by swapping out the internal harness and sensors / solenoids under the pan along with the shift shaft, but I'm no expert.

you can also make it work as is by only swapping out the shift shaft for the linkage to work and going with a stand alone trans controller like the EZ-TCI TCU. others make controllers as well. it all depends on what your budget is. be advised that depending on what engine your 94 has and what the donor had makes a difference on needing to replace the torque converter or not. Do not plan on re-using your old TC if your old trans burnt up. the best route by far is to have YOURS rebuilt and not exchanged.

Welcome to the forum @Paul Bunyan as Ferm stated above some of the differences, there are internal differences on the valve body and in the internal harness. it might work by swapping out the internal harness and sensors / solenoids under the pan along with the shift shaft, but I'm no expert.

you can also make it work as is by only swapping out the shift shaft for the linkage to work and going with a stand alone trans controller like the EZ-TCI TCU. others make controllers as well. it all depends on what your budget is. be advised that depending on what engine your 94 has and what the donor had makes a difference on needing to replace the torque converter or not. Do not plan on re-using your old TC if your old trans burnt up. the best route by far is to have YOURS rebuilt and not exchanged.
Is there a conversion kit for this project?

There is no "conversion kit" for this. it will be more of a headache trying to convert a newer trans over to work on the older truck as the PCM and sensors in the trans are different. yes there were upgrades over the years to the trans done by GM, but 94 was a one year only system that was totally different. your only route for using a newer trans is most likely involving more $$ for a controller than it would be to just have your trans rebuild. you'd do much better spending the $$ on having yours rebuilt along with having it "built" with heavy duty clutches and a triple disk torque converter. 9 times out of 10 it's your oem torque converter that glitter bombed and took out the rest if the trans. especially if you towed anything up hill with it in OD and TCC was locked under load.

Just be weary of trans shops. read up on the differences between 94 and others so you will know if the trans shop knows what they are doing on top of making sure they aren't gonna swap out for an exchange. Honestly if you are budget minded and handy with tools, I have been told that rebuilding a 4l80 isn't that hard. just needs to be clean. so now you have an excuse to sit in the comfort of your living room rebuilding it on your coffee table as your significant other can cheer your on LOL mine would murder me HAHA that wouldn't be trans fluid on the floor that's red....

Last edited:
Seriously though you really could rebuild it in your house. pull it apart and wash. clean enough you can eat off the inside. there is a couple of special tools you will need but most YouTube videos I have seen, they have made their own tools to get the job done.

@Paul Bunyan
Transmissions are the most true case of - if you have to ask then this won’t work for you.
I LOVE helping people learn to diy mechanics stuff. It’s how I learned when younger and got me to get regular training and be pro. Transmissions and reprogramming computers are the two I draw the line at.

If you are willing to spend $1,000 MORE to end up with a slightly better transmission then yes pursue it. To save money have yours rebuilt.
Investigate shops to know they are reliable.

94 is a 1 year only. That said, if you swap your shift shaft, a 95-96 will directly swap in. 95-96 is the same trans, but they use a longer shift shaft meant for a shift cable connection instead of the mechanical linkage connection and have a nsbu switch to operate the cluster gear display, reverse lights, and starter nuetr safety switch. Do not swap in a 91-93, even if the plug is the same, they have internal differences.
I found a transmission for my 94 2500 2wheel drive. The only problem is it's out of a 4×4. How much trouble will it be to put it in my puckup?

from what I just read online all you need to do is swap output shafts and tail housings between your old trans and the one that is 4x4. there are several youtube videos out there.

Here is what I read and got my info from. in the article you don't need to worry about the transfer case, drive shaft or cross member since you already have everything.

one thing to keep in mind is knowing what engine the new to you trans was bolted to. this will tell you if you need to get a new torque converter. do not by any means plan on re-using your old one. it's a guarantee you'll be replacing or rebuilding the trans again.

Or make the big improvement of a divorced transfer case and get an Atlas.
A diy cross member to mount it, modify drivelines and never ever worry about t case failure. Not to mention the 4wd gains the better unit gives you, especially if you twin stick it, or go with the 3 speed unit.

Options man, there’s always options.

Whatever you decide do not get rid of a single part of the original trans for a long time after the swap. Can’t tell you how many people don’t notice a problem for a few months then when they can’t get a no longer available part that was in the old unit they sent away…

Back