• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

Paveltolz

Доверяй, но проверяй
Reaction score
To Recap from the other 'death by delay' thread, "Fun with Ted, Todd....":
I bought a 'some assembly required' motor in pieces from 635 (Ted) and have had a few set backs. In the meantime, the scheduled builder, Todd, got his truck done in April/May and then abruptly left Heath Diesel which left me and Ted looking for ways to complete our projects which Todd was paid in advance to complete in his off hours at Heaths (run on sentance, sorry). Well, that didn't happen so after way more than his fair share of setbacks and supply issues, Ted is now back in the 6.5ish family again with his truck running as of today.:hello: Only took a year longer than it should have.

Bill had volunteered to build my engine as a personal favor when Todd left me in the lurch. Wow. That's friendship.
A while back I had discussed his building an engine for me and it was explained that it was more economical to just buy one as it's not his norm to build/install motors other than for his personal or business uses. Then in a moment of extreme need, he offered to complete my project. However with some business issues arising about the same time Todd left, that wasn't going to happen with any real timeline. Things are settling down and with Ted's project completed, its officially my turn.

The issue with the pistons possibly being too tall was the latest set back. Bill's done some more measuring and such and notified me there's room to use the existing Mahle pistons and Heath HP? cam with the thicker Felpro gaskets after some minor modification to the piston faces. It's just the same deal of finding the guy with the right skill sets and time but, no worries...'the ox is slow but the earth is patient" and I'm not in need. Good thing too because mine was originally scheduled for completion in May, 2012.

This truck's current motor still hauls the mail and definately hauls its own weight in sandbags. Once the engine is assembled to the point that even I can't mess it up, Ted will bring it down to me and we'll take a week or so to finish installing the rest of the stuff and complete the swap. OrionThade and I have shared enough time and wrench stuff that he'll probably want to get involved too (plus I've got his cherry picker). Pictures will follow once I get the motor and camera back.

Sure, I'll do all the hard work. Hauling that big heavy engine all the way to your place.

Then a nice soft easy chair to watch you and OrionThade do the easy work, remove and replace the engine!

Then, after a few break in miles, a trip back to Ellensburg for a good tune.

Subscribed. Love it when a plan kinda sorta in a way pretty much comes together sooner or later.. (har-dee-harr)

:thumbsup: :D

Still having one's cherry picker is always a good way to enlist that person's help in the pull and install!

It was one less think I had to haul from the old place to the new place when I moved last March.

Ignore the fact that I hauled it to Paul's place and unloaded it there and will still have to eventually move it back here ...

Pual,

If he needs a good stop over on the way, I have a good bed and hot meal for his half way(almost) point. You can vouch for the meals.:thumbsup:

John

:thumbsup:

NICE!!!!!!!
Guess I should explain. I posted a quick story about Ted's first adventure with the new motor and realized I was derailing my own thread. So I deleted it but I guess jhornsby3 posted in-between. So, here goes again to get things into perspective.
Ted pulled a truck up a 2 mile grade because it was blocking traffic. No big deal except it was a Cummins powered truck which gives bragging rights but not much until you consider it wasn't running and it was hooked to an overloaded flatbed trailer making it an 18 wheeler grossing out well over 80K lbs. Made that seemingly staged scene on Ice Road Truckers with the F-350 helping a running truck up that grade look lame.
NICE indeed.

Ok, back to our regular programming...nothing new to update.

Yeah I had seen it on my phone when you first posted it so I responded. I never checked to see if it was posted to the thread. Go figure!

I told Paul this thread was his engine thread but he put my episode in here so I thought I would tell the story.

The story of me pulling a loaded semi is true. Had to use 4 wheel drive in low range. But it wasn't for 2 miles, just a little over 1 1/2 miles with a slight uphill grade, until I could get him into a wide area. This was a loaded semi trailer with a pup trailer, about 105K. Tried to pull start him but his batteries were too low. Had a Cummins but no manual over ride could be found. Low battery means no fuel.

My engine had about 300 miles on it and I should of taken it easy, I did sort of! Got up to around 2,500rpm and held it there for the distance. Finally got to an area with a long run out and off road we went into some sandy type soil. My dually then had the look of a sled puller. Front tires and duals were throwing the soil all over the place and high onto the hood of the W900 KW. No pictures but a lot of people were watching and were impressed.

And a big thank you from the Sheriff Department for clearing the main road. Along with the management of the trucking company. A big rig tow starts out at $1,000.

My engine is a 6.2 with the new Heath economy cam and a new set of 6.5 heads, Heath lift pump, ARP head studs, stock injectors and injection pump with about 40K on them both, and a GM-4 turbo. Boost rolls up to around 14 and that is good enough for me.

No more AIR Dog, Feed the Beast, propane, WMI, or Nitrous.

Got my 5th wheel car trailer back Friday and spent Saturday cleaning it back up and new black paint. Dually and car trailer weighs just under 13K and I am averaging right at 15mpg at a steady 60mph. I will settle for that!

I tried to pull a loaded 53' truck and box trailer out of a ditch with no success a couple yrs ago in my 93 dually. Left 6 good black marks for ~1/4 mile and drug him down the ditch until I broke my chain (big enough to drag a burried D7 out of a pond) and couldnt get him up out of the muddy ditch.

Ted good to hear you got the Dually "On The Road Again"..... must be a sigh of relief..

Here's my hand & here's my heart, so that, the kind person you are helping out when in need, remembering that guy you- we, helped out that got his trailer stuck.

Ted good to hear you got the Dually "On The Road Again"..... must be a sigh of relief..

Here's my hand & here's my heart, so that, the kind person you are helping out when in need, remembering that guy you- we, helped out that got his trailer stuck.

Yes I remember that big motorhome! You were right in there too! You are a good man "Charlie Brown"!

I would of liked to of tried that motorhome buried in the muck at the Salf Flats, but they had a big tow truck coming.

Do you want me to change the thread title to '635 Rebuild cont. EXCEPT when it gets derailed'?

:rof: I'm a fan too so have at it guys...:hihi:

Back