• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2 Dead holes on an 08 6.4 PSD

Well in all fairness its not like the d-maxs dont have more than there fair share of injector failers. The 6.4 has been pretty reliable, I have only had the radiator crack but they replaced it with out any problems and I came in there with tune loaded dpf and cat removed and lifted on 38's and they didnt say a thing. Now I have a lower egr cooler leak but I'm fixin to remove them any way being the tunes I run dont even have them functioning. As to the cab removal, the process is a pain but it does make it really easy to work on them once its off. Nothing in your way but there is alot of work that they say is cab off that isnt. There have been people that have done the studs, egr delete, larger down pipe, bigger turbos all with the cab on. Its not as bad as everyone seems to think.

I hear ya...I know my Dmax isn't without it's share of failures/ issues...headgaskets and injectors on LB7's are common

Come on guys... this is a multi-brand forum... no need to bash another brand...we all have our problems with our trucks...(except maybe the LBZ guys)

can we tone the rhetoric down a bit?

That's gotta really suck to spend all that money and be a proud new truck owner then have them tell you you can't have your truck back tomorrow because "we have to take the cab off to replace your EGR valve"...:mad2: Especially the guys that went to the 6.4 because of troubles with their 6.0. Hopefully, the 6.4 is gonna live alot longer than the 6.0. I too know several guys that had alot of 6.0 troubles and I see tons of them for sale pretty cheap. I would hope that's not gonna be the case with the 6.4. A man chooses his brand and wants to have faith that his hard earned dollars are giving him what he expected.

But then I've got an LBZ so it's easy for me to lean toward the smug side. I DO feel for those guys though...

Mostly...

Hey look at me, I bought a Cummins and the truck has been a nightmare. I still think they are good engines , I just got a lemon. The truck was obviously abused. I can fix anything but after spending 19k I should not have to. Spending 40k on an '08 you DEFINITELY should not have to.

When I bought mine there was a guy trading in his 05 and it had over 500k on it. The 6.0 probs can be solved with a egr delete and studs. I'm fixing to do the same to my 6.4, under normal operating conditions it wouldnt be an issue but I run a 500 hp tune as my daily tune and I have a 600hp tune that I run evry now and then for sht's and giggles and I think thats the one that blew the egr.

My main issue is these truck (all brands) are being packed with so much crap under the hood its just going to increase the amount of stuff to go wrong. I'm leary of getting a 2011 6.7 even though my local dealer sent me a nice letter with a sweet offer to trade mine in on a new one I think I'll hold out and see how they do being there made in house.

When I bought mine there was a guy trading in his 05 and it had over 500k on it. The 6.0 probs can be solved with a egr delete and studs. I'm fixing to do the same to my 6.4, under normal operating conditions it wouldnt be an issue but I run a 500 hp tune as my daily tune and I have a 600hp tune that I run evry now and then for sht's and giggles and I think thats the one that blew the egr.

My main issue is these truck (all brands) are being packed with so much crap under the hood its just going to increase the amount of stuff to go wrong. I'm leary of getting a 2011 6.7 even though my local dealer sent me a nice letter with a sweet offer to trade mine in on a new one I think I'll hold out and see how they do being there made in house.

You weren't running those tunes in Baton Rouge?

You weren't running those tunes in Baton Rouge?

No I was running a KEM 150hp tune then. I have a Livewire now with the RCD tunes. I still have the KEM in a box though, trying to sell it or trade it for something. It would run circles around my old tune, the 585 tune will slip my trans though so I dont really run it much (38's + 3.73's + 600WRHP = trouble), I'm saving for a suncoast, this thing on the 585 tune is faster than I want to go on 38's so I'm not going to spray it or any thing so a suncoast should hold up. The rest of my mods will likely be for reliability and looks for now.

I was going to say...I was running 525 RWHP at the event and 12.97 in the 1/4...thats why I asked...I was thinking something must've been wrong...

I didnt race at that event, I didnt want to chance breaking something that far from home. But the best I could do with the 150 tune and 38s was a high 14. This 485 tune should put me in the mid 13's and if the trans wouldnt slip the 585 should put me in the high 12 to low 13's but I havent been to the track with either yet just going off of what others have run with the same tune and truck set up as mine. I know on the 38's and the 585 tune its faster than a old NSX haha, I know he wasnt expecting that.

yeah these ricers mustangs and such have no clue what they are taking on when they get stupid at a red light...the funniest was a guy in a newer vette at gulfport raceway when I beat him by a full second...I pull up to get my timeslip and the the operator is high fiving me and laughing his ass off...needless to say the vette never stopped to get his timeslip...):h

yeah these ricers mustangs and such have no clue what they are taking on when they get stupid at a red light...the funniest was a guy in a newer vette at gulfport raceway when I beat him by a full second...I pull up to get my timeslip and the the operator is high fiving me and laughing his ass off...needless to say the vette never stopped to get his timeslip...):h

should have took the Vette's time slip too :smile5:

Back