• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1st Dead Dipaco/DTech PMD ??

Acesneights1

Reaction score
So take a good look at this thing. I don't think it's a standyne. It was on the reman IP on my Dually and as TD, Matt and CTChevy saw first hand , not only was it bad but it did thing a PMD doesn't normally do. It was making my engine shake so bad I thought it was gonna rip the motormounts loose from the frame. Now I realize this one was mounted on the IP but if you guys remember at the old site , the rep from Dipaco boasted this PMD to be able to withstand the heat of the IP and was a bolt on replacement for the standyne. This makes me woner since alot of us are running DTechs when and if we will see a major failure of these PMD's...

Attachments

• PMD.jpg
    PMD.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 18
  • dtech2.jpg
    dtech2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 20
  • dtech.jpg
    dtech.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 10
I've always found that a manufacturers "claims" usually fall short of reality.

There's always a "couple bad apples in the bunch" too. Could be a unit that's not quite up to snuff, slipped through QC maybe.

Any idea how many miles of the suspect unit?

There is a few guys over at the place that have had d-tech failures. They had toyota- like uncontroled throttle.

I thought the DIPACE was grey and the new improved STANADYNE unit was black and looke just like the DIPACO unit?

its a D-tech allright,
like BK mentioned,there's more failures showing up.

I wonder why these PMD makers insist on keeping them so they fit on the IP.
Would'nt it be smarter to beef the whole thing up so it wont fry,they could even incorporate a heatsink if desired.

Every component underhood will fail eventually........ Each and every one of them.

That being said, runaway throttle is a very bad way to fail...

I'd rather have surge/stall issues than runaway throttle.

That thing sure was idling violently, misfiring like i've never seen before like the timing was all out of order, stretching those motor mounts out like they were about to rip out of the frame like Kenny said.... I bet if the air cleaner was removed smoke would be coming out of there too.. it was horrible!

So take a good look at this thing. I don't think it's a standyne. It was on the reman IP on my Dually and as TD, Matt and CTChevy saw first hand , not only was it bad but it did thing a PMD doesn't normally do. It was making my engine shake so bad I thought it was gonna rip the motormounts loose from the frame. Now I realize this one was mounted on the IP but if you guys remember at the old site , the rep from Dipaco boasted this PMD to be able to withstand the heat of the IP and was a bolt on replacement for the standyne. This makes me woner since alot of us are running DTechs when and if we will see a major failure of these PMD's...

Looks like the newer generation D-Tech, mine just has a corner "notch", the newer one (which yours appears to be) is illustrated here. Wonder why they took off the tags (brand)?

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?12193-New-Dtech-PMD&p=150001&viewfull=1#post150001

Often times warranties apply to original purchaser, but if indeed it is the FSD at fault you might try to contact Badger and whine to them about it.

Bottom line they all fail sooner or later. They remind me of the Old late 70's early 80's Ford Elec Igns. You had to carry a spare and the tools to change it. Even the Heath one on my old K3500 Failed after 3 yrs(Bill warrantied it for the new owner NQA). Basically carry a spare and the tools to change it.

At DP. The surging caused by PMD failure is actually happens to new PMD and mostly purchased from Pensacola which, I guess, may have the highest PMD sales volume right now.

Who makes a good rebuilt pump for a reasonable price out there? Anyone know of any? Don't mean to hi-jack just following conversation.

Bottom line they all fail sooner or later. They remind me of the Old late 70's early 80's Ford Elec Igns. You had to carry a spare and the tools to change it. Even the Heath one on my old K3500 Failed after 3 yrs(Bill warrantied it for the new owner NQA). Basically carry a spare and the tools to change it.

AAAHHHH.The good old days of the TFI [thin film ignition module] Or do you mean the control module with the different color connectors to differentiate the right one for your computer.

If you're talking Duraspark ignitions, I'd say your run of "luck" with vehicles goes back pretty far.

Duraspark is one of the most reliable ignitions I, or anyone else in the shop, have ever seen.

I've (and a multitude of others) swapped it into older points cars to get the high capacity spark and reliability of solid state.

My 62 tbird is next on the list.

How's that saying go?

"if it wasn't for bad luck..................."

:)

I replaced manyFord Elec modules on my own and customers. The aftermarkert Standard Ign ones were worse. These Dipacos are no better than the Stanadyne. In fact, time may prove them to be worse.

Back