• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 K1500 Burb "Big Momma"

a starter and alternator later she's back on the road.

Make sure your tach is still accurate as GM's infinite stupidity used a larger diameter pulley on a lower RPM diesel to charge two batteries. A gas engine pulley on the alternator will read fast. You might be able to still get your core back and pulley swapped if needed.

There are several threads of using a larger and better alternator than the noisy firecracker edge of the thermal envelope GM abused their customers with.

Get under the rig and make sure the rear brace is still on the starter. Trust but verify because if it's missing it can snap the corner of the block off.

IMO this was a shotgun approach as both generally don't fail at the same time. Why not new batteries while they were at it? 🤔

Thanks, I'll verify the brace and pulley. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on the way home but I'll double check.
as far as rationale, they explained it like the alternator went out and that in turn caused the starter to die. Thankfully, the batteries are fairly new according to the PO

Back